Old 05-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
OffGrid

Westbound

My husband is going to be 50 years old this year. Throughout our lives together, we have gone from giving each other senseless birthday presents to picking our wish from out bucket lists, and going out west to visit beautiful American landmarks is what his heart desires this year.

Our journey will begin in early June. The total traveling days is estimated at 18-20 days depending on how much ground we cover. We will be visiting Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Canyon and other scenic places along the way. Our first day will end up somewhere around Mitchell, South Dakota and since we will just be there overnight, we plan to tender our night @ Super WalMart lot. While my husband will be driving our Forester River Class C camper, I will be trailing in our family sedan. We also have two children traveling with us. I know some are curious of our traveling arrangement – we researched car rental in some of the famous landmarks and found that they appeared to be pricey and hard to obtain hence the decision to bring our own “zoom-around-town” vehicle.

This will be an exciting trip for us as we look back on our past family vacations and the profound memories we hold closely to our hearts; our oldest child has been out of house and we sincerely miss her for not being able to vacation with us often.

We welcome any word of wisdom from any seasoned campers and road warriors to enrich our experience.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Tweiland, Sounds like a great trip. We will be following you a month later to Mt Rushmore and Custer State park (great place to visit).
CBs work great for talking between vehicles, FRS work well also (both are better than cell phones).

=================================
http://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:08 AM   #3

As said Custer State Park while at Rushmore. And the Cody night Rodeo is great for children & adults.

Russell
Old 05-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
OffGrid

We booked at Hartland RV Resort for two days based on the proximity of distance from our overnight spot and GoodSam website recommandation. Our kids are a bit older, 19 & 15, not sure if they are into rodeo but we have foretold them that this is a brand new experience, so anything goes:-) Personally, I like anything pertaining western, so rodeo, cowboys, shout of hee-haws will get my attention.

My co-worker mentioned several fancy and historical spots in Cody so we are going to do our best to check them out. This trip isn't going to be one of those park-n-rest types, I know it will test our patience and tenacity of road trip as a family. Then again, we love pushing the envelope when it comes to vacation. We are driving our family car as well so that we can get around town.

Are there any reputable/safe free overnighters in these areas?

I am puzzled by the cost of car rental in Yellowstone Park - I would think it would be more accessible and less costly since the annual crowd in this area shows an astunning peak comparing to others that are less known? Maybe we are researching for the right thing?
Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #5

Westbound

Ok. On adult children--a stop at the visitors center at the east entrance of the Badlands National Park. Drive thru the park worth the drive. You will come out at Wall SD Couple campgrounds there and of course Wall Drug Store is worth a walk thru.
Before the Badlands is Pioneer Auto Museum in Murdo SD. Has 50ties restaurant and many antiques & a small town set up from the 30 ties.
Maybe $12 fee. Campground just west of it. Right at the exit

Russell
Old 06-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #6
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
West

Tweiland we also are planning to leave early June and are heading out that way first stop Hill City SD Rafter J Bar Camping couple of days then on to Cody WY, and to Yellowstone and to Utah, Maybe we will see each other on the road this will be our first long trip in our coach. Save travel.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
OffGrid

Dutch,
We take off early Friday (6/5) around 4am and "plan" to drive approx 900 miles depending on how brave we are...this is almost the same distance from our place to Orlando Florida. We have done straight drive-through many times before, ahumm, when we were much younger.:-) We read articles about how RVers' opinions about being "spontaneous" when it comes to "booking ahead" when going out west...the general concensus is "not recommended during summer season"; however, most RVers find it relatively easy to check in a spot on the fly when traveling to Canada or Alaska.
I will look out for your rig...we are easy to be spotted...probably odd clothed family with Ohio plates:-) Please do post your journey in case we drive through the same towns.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #8

Whoa--- 900 mile --that huge-- good luck. We have been to Yellowstone in June & July before. Never made advance reservations. Even stayed in Grizzly in West Yellowstone for 2 nights once in July without reservations. Good luck on your trip.

Russell
Old 06-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweiland View Post
Dutch,
We take off early Friday (6/5) around 4am and "plan" to drive approx 900 miles depending on how brave we are...this is almost the same distance from our place to Orlando Florida. We have done straight drive-through many times before, ahumm, when we were much younger.:-) We read articles about how RVers' opinions about being "spontaneous" when it comes to "booking ahead" when going out west...the general concensus is "not recommended during summer season"; however, most RVers find it relatively easy to check in a spot on the fly when traveling to Canada or Alaska.
I will look out for your rig...we are easy to be spotted...probably odd clothed family with Ohio plates:-) Please do post your journey in case we drive through the same towns.
The reason it's easy to find a site in Canada......those folks are all here, or the bear's got 'em. Dare you to try to find a site in a state park at the coast without a reservation that wasn't made last Jan.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #10
jbk

The Cabella's in Mitchell, SD also has free overnight RV parking. Just past the WalMart, slightly more accessible and definitely quieter!