Old 10-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #21

If I'm caught deferring to my GPS when the DW says, "Why would it want to go that way?" my life gets very tense very fast. Nothing beats The Navigator + Rand McNally map book. That's my official public stance and I'm sticking with it.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #22

Ditto on the garmin. Many trips with no issues. As a backup and for times we are biking and hiking, I downloaded the co-pilot app on my phone. It downloads all the maps and poi's on the phone so you are not using data. It is okay for planning your trip also. I have been using microsoft streets and trips for many years and imo it is the best trip planning program there is. To bad they discontinued selling and support.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
We keep the wife's broom handy....

Old 10-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
Garmin GPS for RV's; spiral bound, large-print atlas; the book, Next Exit (love it!); and Google maps on I-phone. Can't have too many resources.
I haven't heard of Next Exit before. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Ditto on the garmin. Many trips with no issues. As a backup and for times we are biking and hiking, I downloaded the co-pilot app on my phone. It downloads all the maps and poi's on the phone so you are not using data. It is okay for planning your trip also. I have been using microsoft streets and trips for many years and imo it is the best trip planning program there is. To bad they discontinued selling and support.
Co-pilot app looks promising. I like the idea of having maps saved on my phone.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #26

Garmin 760 RV and Ford in dash.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #27

We use trucker path, the in vehicle system as well as road atlas. Use the truck Kerrville atlas to verify possible route obstructions when planning trip. Like trucker path because it shows fuel locations, rest stops and any hight obstacles at 14' or lower. Since Trucker Path also routes for big rigs; usually the routes are reasonable for large RVs. I find their graphics to be very clear.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #28
HikerBob

Smile Maps

There's nothing like a good map and common sense coupled with good eye-sight. The kids were in the back seat navigating by phone and told me I had to turn, but they were so wrapped up in the gadgets they didn't see the Detour Ahead signs! Having a good navigator - DW - and good maps work pretty darn well.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #29

I use Google maps to preplan my trip, use good Sam trip planner to find campground and Garmin to give me turn by turn, backed up by Waze or Google maps on dw phone. Before I leave every morning I write down the major routes I will be traveling on, my Garmin has let me down too many times. I was in new Haven, CT Saturday and none of the above electronic means could get a good signal or provide accurate directions.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #30

Navigation tool

My Garmin!!!

2016 Rockwood, ROO 21SS, pulled by a 2015 F150 XT, Super Cab, 2.7L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 6-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Tow package & integrated trailer brake. 7,600 lb. tow capacity. 145 wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is online now   Reply With Quote