Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #41
I was traveling in New York recently and I was on US 20 trying to stay off the toll road, I use a Garmin RV760. One morning the Garmin kept trying to get me off US 20, I was having none of that I was staying on US20. All of a sudden Garmin says 12ft 1in bridge ahead, I'm 13ft, I told DW don't worry Garmin will get out. Sure enough Garmin sent us another way. I'm driving along and sign says 10ft 1in bridge ahead, I told DW not to worry Garmin would route us around and rounded a curve and there is that 10ft 1in bridge. DW went nuts, me and camper is 52ft. Anyway lucky for me I could back camper around while she blocked the road. We finally got back to US 20, then DW told me she would pay the tolls just ride the Interstate

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:11 AM   #42
I have several navigation systems in the truck. First and foremost is the DW. She could lead any expedition without a wrong turn or getting lost. Second is the Garmin RV 760 LMT. Love the big screen and all info regarding RV travel. Lastly, the Atlas, state/provincial maps, I Exit and internet. We also use Google map but at night planning the next day's trip.

Marcel & Jenne
Kemptville, ON
2014 Rockwood 8282WS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #43
I do all the planning and all the driving, DW mainly just gets my food going down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #44
I've used Delorme's Street Atlas for 17 years. I like many things about it especially that it runs on a laptop giving me a big screen and I can plan, in turn by turn detail, trips on my couch. It also uses a remote antenna giving better reception within the motorhome. It keeps GPS log files of the trip for easy playback. I keep a library of past trips that can be recalled later. No cell service required and we are out of cell range often. Displays Time/Distance to next turn, next stop, and day end destination in addition to the map. So when someone asks "Are we there yet?", I have the anser. The list of advantages goes on and on but.............

Garmin recently purchased Delorme and has discontinued Street Atlas. Have used Garmin and Magellan for hiking and kayaking for many years and, when I can no longer run Street Atlas on, let's say, Windows 20, I'll have to consider one of them for the motorhome.

My biggest resource for low bridges is google maps street view and read the signs.
2015 FR3 30DS
2010 Ford Escape Toad
Kadiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #45
Canadian Member
I have a 10 year old Garmin GPS that I update regularly and it still works well. I plan our routes ahead of time as much as possible using Google Maps/Streetview. Also have a CAA membership so I can get maps and TripTiks. We don't have a cell phone with a data plan other than my Blackberry work phone that I won't use for this purpose so we rely on the Garmin and paper maps while on the road. Most of the available apps and books have very little info on Canadian roads and truck stops so they aren't of much value for us.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #46
I use but do not rely on the Garmin

back up is provided by:
1- DW with a map
2- DW with Google map
3- Waze if it all gone sideways

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #47
Minimum of two GPS units...each by a different manufacturer. I never cease to be amazed at how many times one says go this way and the other says go the other way. We have the Good Sam Rand McNally and a Tom Tom (latest versions). In the majority of cases, the Rand McNally seems more accurate when a conflict arrises. Of course, this is all backed up with a good road atlas.
2015 GT 364TSF
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #48
We used WAZE to get us to our overnight campgrounds on our cross country trip from CA to NY this past July. Our in-dash nav system sound cuts out on us, so it isn't reliable. We live too far from selling dealership and me being the only driver, I just gave it up and use my iphone. Problem is if you forget to reduce the app and keep it up on your phone screen, your cell data will get burned up. Don't forget to tap to reduce the app back. It will still give you directions verbally. Next trip I will bring our Garmin.

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler

ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote