Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #21

If I'm caught deferring to my GPS when the DW says, "Why would it want to go that way?" my life gets very tense very fast. Nothing beats The Navigator + Rand McNally map book. That's my official public stance and I'm sticking with it.
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #22

Ditto on the garmin. Many trips with no issues. As a backup and for times we are biking and hiking, I downloaded the co-pilot app on my phone. It downloads all the maps and poi's on the phone so you are not using data. It is okay for planning your trip also. I have been using microsoft streets and trips for many years and imo it is the best trip planning program there is. To bad they discontinued selling and support.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
We keep the wife's broom handy....

Old 10-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
Garmin GPS for RV's; spiral bound, large-print atlas; the book, Next Exit (love it!); and Google maps on I-phone. Can't have too many resources.
I haven't heard of Next Exit before. Thanks.
TravelinFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Ditto on the garmin. Many trips with no issues. As a backup and for times we are biking and hiking, I downloaded the co-pilot app on my phone. It downloads all the maps and poi's on the phone so you are not using data. It is okay for planning your trip also. I have been using microsoft streets and trips for many years and imo it is the best trip planning program there is. To bad they discontinued selling and support.
Co-pilot app looks promising. I like the idea of having maps saved on my phone.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #26

Garmin 760 RV and Ford in dash.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #27

We use trucker path, the in vehicle system as well as road atlas. Use the truck Kerrville atlas to verify possible route obstructions when planning trip. Like trucker path because it shows fuel locations, rest stops and any hight obstacles at 14' or lower. Since Trucker Path also routes for big rigs; usually the routes are reasonable for large RVs. I find their graphics to be very clear.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #28
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Smile Maps

There's nothing like a good map and common sense coupled with good eye-sight. The kids were in the back seat navigating by phone and told me I had to turn, but they were so wrapped up in the gadgets they didn't see the Detour Ahead signs! Having a good navigator - DW - and good maps work pretty darn well.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #29

I use Google maps to preplan my trip, use good Sam trip planner to find campground and Garmin to give me turn by turn, backed up by Waze or Google maps on dw phone. Before I leave every morning I write down the major routes I will be traveling on, my Garmin has let me down too many times. I was in new Haven, CT Saturday and none of the above electronic means could get a good signal or provide accurate directions.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #30

Navigation tool

My Garmin!!!
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #31

GPS

We have GPS in our Forest River Forester (2014), and we find that our portable Megellan GPS is better, faster, easier to use, and more accurate.
rhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #32
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

For a quick peak I use Google maps on my android phone.
In the truck I installed a 7" touchscreen stereo with BT and Nav. It uses updatable iGo software. It has parameters that I set to my length, weight, height so it will map the route accordingly. I enter in the address and go. It has never failed.
I can also change vehicles so that when I'm bobtailing it runs on a different set of parameters that are closer to a car.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
There's nothing like a good map and common sense coupled with good eye-sight. The kids were in the back seat navigating by phone and told me I had to turn, but they were so wrapped up in the gadgets they didn't see the Detour Ahead signs! Having a good navigator - DW - and good maps work pretty darn well.
Thanks for the reminder. I keep maps of every state in the SE. I no longer go north of VA or west of LA, almost always stay east of the Mississippi River. I keep maps for all the SE states and request new ones every 2years and a couple need ordered. Usually, maps provided by the state is more up to date than any atlas.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #34

At least you guys have wives with sense of direction (and a broom), I have neither. My wife gets lost at Walmart and I've never seen her with a broom.... I do the cleaning.

Heck of a cook, poor housekeeper and no sense of direction.. she's a good cuddler though.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #35

My WIFE!

PS- I also have a Garmin GPS that gets me in trouble before my wife bails me out!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
At least you guys have wives with sense of direction (and a broom), I have neither. My wife gets lost at Walmart and I've never seen her with a broom.... I do the cleaning.

Heck of a cook, poor housekeeper and no sense of direction.. she's a good cuddler though.

My wife never drives with me unless very local. Tried that a few times. The last time we were out of town I said to turn left. She made a turn and was upset when I said " I meant your OTHER left".
Old 10-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinFam View Post
I haven't heard of Next Exit before. Thanks.
I use the app iExit...knows where you are, you tell it what direction you are traveling on the interstate and it tells you what is coming up at the next exits.. can even set favorites..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

I feel your pain. Hence the reliance on maps and apps. Sure looks good in the passenger seat, and puts up with my idiocracy. She is great, but navigator she is not.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #39

Naviguesser

We use our Garmin, the Co-Pilot app on my Android phone and on my Android tablet as a backup. We also have the Rand McNally atlas and get the state maps as needed. Garmin has gotten lost a couple of times and a bit of common sense and a good sense of direction have kept us out of major trouble.
The Co-Pilot app has saved my bacon a couple of times, once while traveling for work and the work provided POS died and we did not have any cell signal for co-worker to use Sirri. He downloaded Co-Pilot that evening when we got back to the hotel.
I believe in research, backup plans, and a good naviguesser in the copilot seat.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #40
(o˘◡˘o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingdunder1 View Post
We use trucker path, the in vehicle system as well as road atlas. Use the truck Kerrville atlas to verify possible route obstructions when planning trip. Like trucker path because it shows fuel locations, rest stops and any hight obstacles at 14' or lower. Since Trucker Path also routes for big rigs; usually the routes are reasonable for large RVs. I find their graphics to be very clear.
on the Trucker Path app