Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #1

What to do about mail

This summer we're planning an extended trip out west, and I'm wondering what options there are for postal mail. The post office will hold mail, but only for thirty days. After that, what do you do if you don't have a place where it can be sent and you don't have family around that will pick it up for you? We plan to be gone just over the thirty-day limit. Don't know if this is the appropriate place for this post, but any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
nestorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #2

Do you trust your neighbors? We gather and hold their mail and they do likewise for us when we are gone. We also keep watch over each other's property while one of us is away. I give them a key to the house to get in and they do likewise. This has worked very well for us over the years.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #3

Lots of mail services for RV'ers. With many of them you can look at your mail online and decide what you want forwarded to you.

Do a Google search for "RV mail services" and you'll get a bunch of options.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #4

I don't know what type of RV you have but if you have a motorhome you can joining the Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA). Mail forwarding is a service you can get through them. I don't know exactly how it works as we have never had the need for it. Our neighbors pick up our mail for us when we are away. The FMCA also has other great features and benefits.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #5

We just finished a three month extended trip to the west coast and we also used our neighbors, who also was my Grandson. He watched our home and picked up the mail. But when we stay in one spot in Florida for the winter, I have a PO box rented for the year and have our mail forwarded for a select period down there.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #6

We were in Florida for six weeks back in January/February and the post office held our mail. We filled out the "hold mail" on the USPS website and there are two options for returning home..."start delivery on" or "we'll pick up mail on return"...we checked "we'll pick up mail on return" and also added a note stating "please do NOT start delivery after 30 days." This worked for us. Forwarding mail can be expensive, $11.00 each time it's forwarded and forwarding only works if you'll be at one place for an extended period of time.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #7

Thanks to everone for the great ideas. Appreciate it!
nestorg is offline   Reply With Quote