Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
We put a deposit today on a site in Harlington, Tx. It is an established (read old) gated "resort", but if the online pictures are current it looks ok. Just found out that a friend from my old high school spends their winters in San Benito, a stones throw away.
I was born and raised in Harlingen and have been here for most of my 49+ plus years. The weather is warm for the most part but we are relatively close to the coast and get some cooling benefit from coastal winds. As opposed to the more interior areas of the RGV which are warmer. Not much rainfall as we are in currently experiencing a major drought so there is no lack of sunshine. Fall , winter and spring are one in the same, very mild. Drive safely and send me a PM if you ever need anything while you are down here.

Arnold

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Because of he high cost of out of country health care, plus the fact that preexisting conditions are not covered we stay in Canada and head to the west coast. The weather might be wet but rain is easy to shovel.
Just curious, what is out of country health care premiums per month. Our health care is changing drastically here (getting terrible I might add) and wonder how our friends to the north handle it. If you don't mind the question. Thanks.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #23

What park you staying, we have reservations at Lakewood in Harlingen. Are you going to FROG Rally at Amana?
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
We go to Merritt Inland, FL the 2nd week in Jan right after taking down the Christmas lights and stay until mid March.
We put up over 250,000 lights with 475 channels of computer control, all set to time code music and transmitted on a low power FM radio. We average around 450 to 550 cars per night on the street.
Do you a 30 amp plug for guests to camp in the drive and blend in with the display?

B
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
I was born and raised in Harlingen and have been here for most of my 49+ plus years. The weather is warm for the most part but we are relatively close to the coast and get some cooling benefit from coastal winds. As opposed to the more interior areas of the RGV which are warmer. Not much rainfall as we are in currently experiencing a major drought so there is no lack of sunshine. Fall , winter and spring are one in the same, very mild. Drive safely and send me a PM if you ever need anything while you are down here.

Arnold
My sister winters in Harlingen. The did the motorhome think for a bit, then park model and finally built a placein Sunshine Country Club Estates. They are actually closer to Combes if I remember right. Nice area. Wouldn't mind wintering there myself some day!
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback Iowan View Post
What park you staying, we have reservations at Lakewood in Harlingen. Are you going to FROG Rally at Amana?
If this is directed at me, our reservation is at Palm Gardens and yes we will be at the Amana rally.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Do you a 30 amp plug for guests to camp in the drive and blend in with the display?

B
No not in the front drive but we do have a RV pad with 50 amp, water and swage in the back drive. Guest are charged to help cover the electric bill, LOL.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
My sister winters in Harlingen. The did the motorhome think for a bit, then park model and finally built a placein Sunshine Country Club Estates. They are actually closer to Combes if I remember right. Nice area. Wouldn't mind wintering there myself some day!

I know the area well, my family leases the gas station on the corner to Stripes Corp so I frequent the area. Sunshine Country is actually right on the Harlingen/Combes line...nice park.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #29

Winter in Florida

We spend them in Port Orange Florida. A little place called Seabird Island
4th year down there. Actually leaving in a few days to head down there, Usually have gone down later in October but why wait for Michigan weather to catch us here.

Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #30

Winter in Texas coastal bend

Found a small park in Port Aransas that we like and have made many winter Texan friends. Price is easy on us and we are on the 25 cent a ride shuttle line in Port A and can ride the big shuttle in to Corpus Christi for 50 cents one way senior rate. We can also drive our street legal golf car in Port A with a police permit so we don't need to run the tractor unless we absolutely need to. Saves on buying diesel.

Dave

Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #31

We are about to head out of MI for our 7th winter in Casa Grande AZ at the Sundance1 RV Resort. Great park.. We get the same site every year so it's like going home every year same neighbors. Really nice. We also keep in touch with them as we go home or travel around during the summer months.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #32

Usually buried under this nasty white stuff. (Don't know why they call it Southern New England...there's no Southern about it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper-look at the snow above the roof line.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	63420  
Old 09-26-2014, 05:19 AM   #33

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1411726479.636367.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	899.4 KB
ID:	63549

This was late January in Madisonville, Texas. It a couple hrs north of Houston. Pretty rare. Did enjoy watching NH and MA guys teeth rattle and 40 degree. They want the below 0 without humidity. As soon as the sun comes up it's fine.

Personally love the gulf shore to destin area. Never been in the lower part of Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #34
Traveling along

Good idea

Going to different campgrounds for a short time is a good way to check out the state and see which one fits best. We will be "snowbirding" in a few years from Michigan and wondered what to do. DH is retired army and was wondering about military bases to camp near. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
2019 Silverado 2500
2019 Primetime Crusader 29rsle
Bill and Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #35

From Nov 16 to April 15 we are in the SE Orlando/Lake Whippoorwill KOA in a lakeside site. Clean modern campground with walking/biking trail along the lake. Most people in our section have been going there for years and we consider them our winter family.

ADK-RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Just curious, what is out of country health care premiums per month. Our health care is changing drastically here (getting terrible I might add) and wonder how our friends to the north handle it. If you don't mind the question. Thanks.

I live in Alberta so our Provincial Healthcare is paid for out of the oil revenue the government receives. This gives us access to free doctors appointment, free hospital treatment, EMS, opticians appointments every two years and regular dental check-ups. If memory serves me correctly, when we did have to pay, family healthcare premiums used to be about $450 every four months.

My employer pays my other Alberta Blue Cross premium which covers 80% costs for things like dental treatment, prescriptions, etc. It also allows me multiple trips out of Canada for vacations of less than 30 days and will directly pay for treatment in the US up to $5 million. I have just checked the ABC website and for $200pa you can purchase annual multi trip vacation medical coverage so long as each vacation is under 30 days. I'm not sure how they could determine how long anyone had been out of country in those circumstances.

These prices may be different for other Provinces and Territories.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2014 41 nights and 4620km.......and we're done

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #37
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
We are about to head out of MI for our 7th winter in Casa Grande AZ at the Sundance1 RV Resort. Great park.. We get the same site every year so it's like going home every year same neighbors. Really nice. We also keep in touch with them as we go home or travel around during the summer months.
Was looking at the website for Sundance...looks like a nice park. Do they usually fill up most winters?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Was looking at the website for Sundance...looks like a nice park. Do they usually fill up most winters?

What is the park like. We are in south Tx and I can't even walk the dog without them getting full of briers. It's awful and we are leaving very soon.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #39
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
What is the park like. We are in south Tx and I can't even walk the dog without them getting full of briers. It's awful and we are leaving very soon.

What are briers?
Old 11-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #40

Where do you spend your winters?

Briers are like a thorn bush. It's full of that stuff down here in the woods of Louisiana.

It's good place for rabbits to hang out in.

Tags
winter