Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #41
Just Love to Camp

Let me know if you do go. We live 20minutes from the campground and camp there alot

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:36 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordes View Post
Misty Mountain Camp Resort in Virginia does wine tours of several vineyards straight from the campgrounds We have quite a few Also they dew brewery tours. That way you don't have to worry about driving
X2 on misty mountain. Lots of good wineries and breweries. There is a hard cidery too and even silverback vodka distillery all in the area that offer tours and tastings. Bold rock cider is my favorite. Blue mountain brewery is a great place to eat with a beautiful view. The picture at the bar is bold rock, the picture in front of the mountains is in front of blue mountain. The campground is a little run down, make sure you have a surge protector as we have seen lots of power column issues there including non-functioning pedestals and low voltage issues. Try to get a site at the bottom as going up the mountain is very steep and twisty. That said, it is clean and the people are nice. Great activities for the kids. We loved staying there.
Attached Images

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:32 PM   #43
Just Love to Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
X2 on misty mountain. Lots of good wineries and breweries. There is a hard cidery too and even silverback vodka distillery all in the area that offer tours and tastings. Bold rock cider is my favorite. Blue mountain brewery is a great place to eat with a beautiful view. The picture at the bar is bold rock, the picture in front of the mountains is in front of blue mountain. The campground is a little run down, make sure you have a surge protector as we have seen lots of power column issues there including non-functioning pedestals and low voltage issues. Try to get a site at the bottom as going up the mountain is very steep and twisty. That said, it is clean and the people are nice. Great activities for the kids. We loved staying there.
Sounds like you have come and do come my way. Please let me know when you are this way would love to meet someone from FRF.

We haven't had any issues with power here. We camp here 6 to 7 weekends out of the season. Every year Hate to hear that others have had problems I do hope they said something to Mike. He is a good guy and is usually willing to make things right

2012 F450
Virginia
Old 03-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #44

Just a suggestion but Fredricksburg, TX has numerous RV places plus many wineries. Also is the home of the Admiral Nimitz Museum and has live reenactments several times a year. Then just SW is Luckenbach TX.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
in Southern Illinios, we like to visit the wineries Shawnee Hills Wine trail. Website is Home | Shawnee Hills Wine Trail

we stay at Ferne Clyffe. to reserve spots Ferne Clyffe State Park, IL - Campground & Camping Details - ReserveAmerica - [IL].

Please note there is another all electric back in only loop that is first come first serve as well

Additionally some people stay at Giant City campground near Carbondale as well
I can second this! We've been going to the Shawnee Wine Trail for years, this past year took the RV down the weekend after Thanksgiving. We stayed at Giant City Campground.

Not a winery, but the Vintage Illinois wine festival in September held at Matthiessen State Park, near Utica, IL, is a ton of fun. We camp nearby and spend the day at the festival sampling all of the region's offerings, listening to live music and visiting with friends. The Largest Wine Festival in Illinois - Vintage Illinois 2014 We did speak to some of the wineries about spending the weekend at their place, many had never thought of the idea but openly welcomed us to come by for the weekend. We've not done it yet though.

Tom
Old 03-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #46

That sounds like a great weekend. Definitely going this year.

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
That sounds like a great weekend. Definitely going this year.

I see you're in Rockford! Yes, it's a great time! Our first visit was probably 8 or 9 years ago when the festival was new, no food, small crowd. Now they have food trucks from the Chicago area and it's very full!! Not too crowded that it's not enjoyable, but full. We bring a instant-up tent, chairs, cooler of food and settle in for the day.

A little tip...reservations for that weekend at Starved Rock campground (about 2 miles away) are available in a couple of weeks. There are private campgrounds in Utica, about 10 miles away. Cozy Corner Campground is about 100 yards away, full hookups but no 50-amp if you need it. It's basically someone's front yard, but the nicest people you may ever meet! We stayed there last year last minute.

Oh, pre-order your festival tickets and get there when it opens for a decent parking spot and place to sit.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #48

Thanks Irishman

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordes View Post
Sounds like you have come and do come my way. Please let me know when you are this way would love to meet someone from FRF.

We haven't had any issues with power here. We camp here 6 to 7 weekends out of the season. Every year Hate to hear that others have had problems I do hope they said something to Mike. He is a good guy and is usually willing to make things right
They came down and worked on the power poles. We stayed there for a crossroads rally 2 years in a row. We were always in the full hook up vendor sites near the dog park. If you were there in October either of the past 2 years and saw a bunch of crossroads cruisers and maybe a zinger or two(and a sabre last october) that would have been our group. I am not sure I will be up that way this year but I will let you know if I do make it up. Conversely, if you are in the chapel hill/durham/burlington/greensboro area let us know. There is a decent campground near us in Mebane that is is central to visiting these areas. Ok done hijacking. please return to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #50

The City of Hermann, Missouri has a great campground in town. There are several wineries within an easy drive both in the area, and the region.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
flaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech77 View Post
Timber Ridge is a nice campground in TC. We are going to try Holiday Park this Memorial Day weekend. The state park is right in town and in town can get very busy during the tourist season.
Just saw your post...
We'll be at Holiday this weekend as well (Memorial Day).
Let me know if you want to meet...we love it up there!

Mike & Lorie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9805.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	541.1 KB
ID:	77632  

* 2007 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.6 Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Roadmaster Active Suspension on the rear and Bullydog Tuner
* Sabre 32 RCTS 5th Wheel
* Trailer Saver BD3 hitch
Mikehend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #52

Thread's a bit old, but I finally booked Misty Mountain for September 11-13! Asked for a back in site I can get 56' of rig in without too much headache. Not fond of pull thru's in the middle of it all. Our usual cast of characters is low on vaca time, may just be the wife and I. We'd love to go 2 weeks later for the bluegrass festival, but her schedule just won't work for it. Look like lots to do, we've got long time family friends in Waynesboro, and the wife hasn't really ever been down that way, should be fun.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

See if you can get one of the sites down near the dog park, that section is the easiest. The v sites there will easily fit your trailer. You can pull into the fie across from the site and just back in. You can then park the truck across the road in thAt field. It is a great little place to stay. There are wineries, breweries and even a distillery nearby. My favorite drink in this area is bold rock hard cider. Blue mountain brewery is a great place to have a meal while beer tasting.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

These pictures were taken during a crossroads rally there 2 years ago. These are the v sites I was talking about. You do not want to haul that rig up their twisty steep single lane mountain road to the high campground sites. Tell them to put you at the bottom of the mountain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14kffqq.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	83950   Click image for larger version

Name:	2sbpjdg.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	83951   Click image for larger version

Name:	2zxt3sk.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	83952   Click image for larger version

Name:	14tlgmh.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	83953  
Old 07-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #55
Just Love to Camp

These are called the vendor sites. Just when you back up watch for the power pole. If the field is wet in any way don't I say don't pull into it have fun wish we were going to be there. Happened to be there two weeks before you. I hope you enjoy. This place even though only 20 minutes away feel like home to me

2012 F450
Virginia
Old 07-25-2015, 06:31 AM   #56

In a week my better half and I are staying at keuka. Wanted to try out Letchworth or Watkins Glen both famous here for great hiking, but both were booked. So keuka is kind of between the two. Planning to check them out and hit a wine tour. My brother and his wife have been to many wine tours in the area. This will be my first. Can't wait, just me and her, no kids or dogs. Just us for a 3 day break from all that goes with 5 kids ranging from 6 to 15 lol
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #57

This is a little bit old again, but we just returned from VA and Misty Mountain Camp Resort Monday. If you are looking for wine tastings with a campground nearby, this place has it! Tons of wineries, we hit a few, some good some not so much. Bold Rock Hard Cider (while not a winery) was a real standout. We only had 2 full days there and the earliest we got back to the trailer was 8pm, 10pm the other night. Did 40 miles of skyline drive and about 30 of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We only scratched the surface of the wineries, and are planning to go back again sometime and check more out.

We were happy with the campground, we had site V-7. Only complaint was that sites are a bit small, and the neighbors sewer connection was a bit close to our picnic table for my liking. We spent so little time there it really didn't matter. Did take a walk and come back to the Progressive EMS shutting down due to low voltage on line 2, I went to the office and someone was there before I walked back to the trailer. I tried to explain the issue but he was totally unfamiliar with the function of the EMS. It was cool enough by that point we could just run the front air so I used the 30A adapter for the night and they replaced the breakers Saturday. All was good after that. I was pleased with how it was handled given the issue popped up just before dark Friday night. We would stay there again.
2016 Nights camped 5
Old 09-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
This is a little bit old again, but we just returned from VA and Misty Mountain Camp Resort Monday. If you are looking for wine tastings with a campground nearby, this place has it! Tons of wineries, we hit a few, some good some not so much. Bold Rock Hard Cider (while not a winery) was a real standout. We only had 2 full days there and the earliest we got back to the trailer was 8pm, 10pm the other night. Did 40 miles of skyline drive and about 30 of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We only scratched the surface of the wineries, and are planning to go back again sometime and check more out.

We were happy with the campground, we had site V-7. Only complaint was that sites are a bit small, and the neighbors sewer connection was a bit close to our picnic table for my liking. We spent so little time there it really didn't matter. Did take a walk and come back to the Progressive EMS shutting down due to low voltage on line 2, I went to the office and someone was there before I walked back to the trailer. I tried to explain the issue but he was totally unfamiliar with the function of the EMS. It was cool enough by that point we could just run the front air so I used the 30A adapter for the night and they replaced the breakers Saturday. All was good after that. I was pleased with how it was handled given the issue popped up just before dark Friday night. We would stay there again.
Were there any large 5ers or coaches at the grounds?
Old 09-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #59

There were a bunch of coaches in the V sites. Our 5th is 37' and not small either. Had to park the truck sideways in front and backed up within 2 feet of power pole. Couldn't open garage.
2016 Nights camped 5
Old 12-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #60

Love the wineries of north Georgia.
Georgia Wineries | Winegrowers Association of Georgia

Stay at Creeekwood Resort every year.