Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Wine Tours and RV Sites

Just wondering if anyone has done winery tours and tastings. Which ones and the best places to stay with the rv.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #2

I think this would be a very broad subject. One way to get better responses may be to be more specific in what area of the country you are looking to explore, that is unless you are one of the lucky and can come and go with your own time schedule and want to see it all.
I live in southern NJ (camp too) and we have some great campgrounds and an expanding wine making region, the wine makers are actually pushing to have it designated its own region. I am by no means a wine expert, but I think there would be plenty for someone to like about our wineries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #3

Great thread. I think the OP is looking for locations of wineries that give tours/tastings and also let you boondock in their parking lot for the evening. Did I read that right?
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Great thread. I think the OP is looking for locations of wineries that give tours/tastings and also let you boondock in their parking lot for the evening. Did I read that right?

I guess that was a broad question, but that was my point. Anywhere so as to find the experience across the country. And yes I can go when and where I want. Boondocking is fine and campgrounds are also a plus. I'm sure there would be a lot of input, but that is the idea, right.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #5

Harvest Hosts

Go to HarvestHosts.com , They are a network of vinyards/wineries that let you boondock on their property overnite. The cost to join is only $40 per year. They are located all over the country and also include some farms as well. Good deal !!
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #6

Seneca Lake NY has a few campgrounds in the area and a whole lot of wineries. Me, DH and some close friends last year went to about 8 different wineries in the area. We are making our plans for this summer.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #7

Harvest Hosts is great. Many wineries, farms, growers, etc. are in the network. Free stay for a night (or two if you ask) and nice folks at every one of the places.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #8

We are also Seneca Lake in NY fans. We stay at the Watkins Glen KOA. Beautiful sites, heated indoor pool and adults only hot tub, lots of kids activities...and I could go on and on about the vineyards and wineries. I should really move there and work for their tourism department. Be sure to visit 3 Brothers...they are my favorite!
kkhslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Plenty of campgrounds and plenty of wineries in the Niagara region. We also have a slew around here too (the real south western Ontario, Essex County).

I think the better option would be, where do you want to go? Since winery=vineyards=countryside and campground=countryside we can conclude that if there's a winery around, there's a pretty good chance there's also a campground nearby.

So pick the wine region you want to visit (Niagara, Napa, NJ, etc...) first and then look for campgrounds like you normally would.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #10

We went to the Traverse City, Michigan area and went to 21 wineries in that area. Fantastic.

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Old 02-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #11

I'm also looking to read from actual winery visits from fellow "WINOS". I know there are great wineries across the country, but personal visits would give a better choice for others to visit also.

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Old 02-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhslh View Post
We are also Seneca Lake in NY fans. We stay at the Watkins Glen KOA. Beautiful sites, heated indoor pool and adults only hot tub, lots of kids activities...and I could go on and on about the vineyards and wineries. I should really move there and work for their tourism department. Be sure to visit 3 Brothers...they are my favorite!
Love the KOA at Seneca Lake. We also stay there. You can take your vehicle to Watkins Glenn and race it around the track also. Last year we had a Sunseeker 2900 and the DH said it would be waste of gas. This year I am taking the ecoboost and don't care about the gas.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #13

in Southern Illinios, we like to visit the wineries Shawnee Hills Wine trail. Website is Home | Shawnee Hills Wine Trail

we stay at Ferne Clyffe. to reserve spots Ferne Clyffe State Park, IL - Campground & Camping Details - ReserveAmerica - [IL].

Please note there is another all electric back in only loop that is first come first serve as well

Additionally some people stay at Giant City campground near Carbondale as well

This is what our Wine rack looks like after our Wine trail tour
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	69964  
Old 02-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
in Southern Illinios, we like to visit the wineries Shawnee Hills Wine trail. Website is Home | Shawnee Hills Wine Trail

we stay at Ferne Clyffe. to reserve spots Ferne Clyffe State Park, IL - Campground & Camping Details - ReserveAmerica - [IL].

Please note there is another all electric back in only loop that is first come first serve as well

Additionally some people stay at Giant City campground near Carbondale as well

This is what our Wine rack looks like after our Wine trail tour
That looks so sad, did you run out of room?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:15 PM   #15
Dazed & Confused

Check this out: Harvest Hosts
Harvest Hosts is a network of wineries, farms and agri-tourism sites that invite self-contained RVers to visit and stay overnight for free!
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #16

We love the finger lakes region in NY. There are lots of campgrounds (we've never stayed at any) and great state parks ( we stayed at many!) There are the Seneca Lake Wine trail, Cayuga Lake Wine trail, and the wineries around the Keuka lake. We've Been visiting wineries there for 10 years and I don't think we've been to them all! Seriously, there are so many wineries. Oh, and a camping world near Bath, NY!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #17

I'm lov'n this info!!!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #18

There is a wine tour in Prince Edward county in Ontario. Many private CG and Sandbanks Provincial Park (great swimming with a sandy beach that is over a mile long).
There is also a vineyard just 10 min. from the KOA campground in Mallorytown, On.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #19
Rookies on this site.

Send a message via Skype™ to UsandScarlett
TotalBliss - Where did you stay in Traverse City? That place is on our "must see" list for 2015 or 2016.

Thanks
UsandScarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsandScarlett View Post
TotalBliss - Where did you stay in Traverse City? That place is on our "must see" list for 2015 or 2016.

Thanks
We didn't stay at a campground but this one looked pretty nice.
Traverse City Michigan Campground
The wineries were awesome and the people were nice also. Well worth the trip. The restaurants in Traverse City are great also. I think anyone would have a great time. We spent a long weekend up there, which of course was way to short. The wines were very reasonable. Don't know if there are new ones or if some have closed, but again well worth the trip.