Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #1

Winter camping

16 nitro xlr 305 th camper. We camped over night and temps were high 42 and low 19 this morning. Furnace set at 73 and using city water. Other people in campgrounds are using city water. Woke up this morning and water will not come on. I have the winter package and it has heated holding tanks. I did not turn it on bc I'm not using the fresh water. For now on should I use holding tanks and heat it.? I'm a new winter camp guy
Arkguy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #2

Are you saying you are hooked to a Hose? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #3

Yes hooked to city water and the hose is froze along with the water spouts even at nearby campgrounds. We are doing a trial run b4 tackling a winter trip to pigeon forge. I was going to buy a heated hose for city connections but if the spout freezes I am assumin to use the holding tanks only.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #4

Most people who use their units in the Freezing area of the USA dry camp or some use Stored water. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #5

Turn your electric tank heaters on and leave them on in cold weather as they are thermostatically controlled . As for the hose. ALWAYS disconnect the hose from city water when camping in below freezing weather. Hopefully, you didn't break any water pipes in your RV as even with the enclosed underside, these units are designed for "cool" weather or short periods of freezing weather, not extended periods of COLD weather. In my opinion, you'll be fortunate to not have broken water pipes under your RV! Best of luck as things thaw out, my experience would suggest you'll need it.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkguy29 View Post
Yes hooked to city water and the hose is froze along with the water spouts even at nearby campgrounds. We are doing a trial run b4 tackling a winter trip to pigeon forge. I was going to buy a heated hose for city connections but if the spout freezes I am assumin to use the holding tanks only.

They make a nice heated hose for below freezing use . it has heat tape built in . the only way to go for hook ups in clod weather . it's keep the water warm enough to prevent freezing at the hook up all the way to the camper . the warm water will also transfer heat past where it hooks to your Rv
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #7

I camp in Pigeon Forge in winter and the campground we park at tell us if it's below freezing to turn off the water and disconnect the hose. I have tank heaters on holding tanks. It just takes right much LP, I have to run the furnace to not only keep the camper warm but also all the pipes in the basement from freezing

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #8

After it warmed up it worked, no busted pipes. I filled holding tanks up and it worked too. I turned heater on just in case. Can u run heater tank if fest water is empty? I assume it heats all holding tanks, and I have heat at the elbow fittings.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #9

I would assume just pads on the tanks. Not even sure about fresh water tank being heated. Most of the time it will freeze up around pump or basement doors areas. Running furnace helps a lot.

If the CG doesn't have no freeze faucets your water supply is able to freeze with or with out hose taken loose. Heat tape and pipe insulation are good for the faucet.

Do what you want with heated hoses. Have two of the factory installed. Both worked good for a year. Made of good rubber. The first one finally busted after 6 years of use(full time). Heat tape the water hose been similar situations. If just a short trip and no freeze hydrant. Fill fresh water tank and hook up the hose during showers. If you don't drain the the hose and it freezes put in the shower with hot water to thaw.

arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I camp in Pigeon Forge in winter and the campground we park at tell us if it's below freezing to turn off the water and disconnect the hose. I have tank heaters on holding tanks. It just takes right much LP, I have to run the furnace to not only keep the camper warm but also all the pipes in the basement from freezing

What campground are u at? We are planing ours tonight and going to have a back up hotel plan incase bad weather and couldn't pull camper down. We plan on camping. Then driving to ober to ski and tube each day.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #11
I Break Everything

I think most of us have been through something like this. Always disconnect. Empty you hose of water. We sometimes take our rv skiing at TAOS at spring break. Stay in town, it gets plenty cold.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #12

What I feel is really nice to have is an electronic temperature gauge. They come with a remote sensor and the one I bought was able to have 3 sensors. I have one simply outside and one on each side of the motorhome in the compartments that have the water piping/tanks. The temperature gauge has current/high/low readings. They cost less than $20 bucks and I sleep better knowing that I can tell how cold different areas are really getting. I think they are a great asset for winter camping.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #13

Snow coming this weekend. Thinking about camping just for the fun of it. DW thinks I'm nuts, she is usually right.

If I convince her, plan to dry camp, no water. Will head to a state park that has a heated bathroom. Dishes come home. Just plan to hike a bit and see if the heater can keep up.

Forester 2451s

Tags
camping, winter