Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Yellowstone Campgrounds

We are planning on travelling to Yellowstone next summer. I would like to get some suggestions of good campgrounds in and around the park. We will have 2 5th wheels and would really like full service sites with firebird.
JackRAbbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

We've only stayed there a couple of times, so here's what I know...

Bridgebay - I wouldn't recommend this one to anyone.. It looks like they mowed down all the trees and our trailer (23' bumper pull) wouldn't fit on to there pull through site fully.. We had part of the rear bumper sticking out, and part of the truck's front bumper hangin out... When we put the steps out, the last step was even with the edge of the pavement which was followed by a sharp drop making exiting the trailer a treat.. Never even unhooked for the night...

Yellowstone KOA in West Yellowstone - We stayed there last year and it was great. Sites were nice and big and it's not too far from the park.. We were only there a night and made the run into Old Faithful... Close to town too.. I'd recommend this one!

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #3

The site we had at Fishing Bridge had a weird sewer hookup. The sewer was about two feet taller than the pad. Other than that the campsite was fine. My favorite place to stay was Colter Bay. It is a few miles outside of Yellowstone but a great campground.
TN2TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:11 PM   #4

We stayed at the KOA in Cody. An hour from the park but very clean, level sites. Cody is a nice town too. Kid and pet friendly. We also made the run from Cody to the Little Big Horn in Montana; about 3 hr drive. FYI, we went in the spring and was told the park and park roads are crowded in the summer. Enjoy your trip, we sure did.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #5

Fishing Bridge is the only campground with full hookups within Yellowstone NP. The sites are very close together. You will get to know your neighbor. Some of those sites can be a chore to back into. All the other campgrounds in Yellowstone don’t have any hookups at all.

Just outside the West gate of Yellowstone there are two RV parks in the town of West Yellowstone, MT that offer full hookups. Both of these parks, Yellowstone Grizzly RV park and Buffalo Crossing RV park are a bit pricey. Both parks are within a block of each other and both are just a couple of blocks from the west entrance. About 7 miles from the west gate there is also the West Yellowstone KOA that gets good reviews. There are other campgrounds in the town of West Yellowstone but I didn’t care for them. You can read reviews of these parks by clicking on this link. West Yellowstone, MT Campground Reviews - Best of West Yellowstone Camping - RV Park Reviews

Other full hookup choices are in Gardiner, MT just outside the North gate of Yellowstone NP. The two RV parks are Rocky Mountain RV Park and Yellowstone RV Park. You can read reviews of those two parks at this link Gardiner, MT Campground Reviews - Best of Gardiner Camping - RV Park Reviews

A few miles from the South gate of Yellowstone NP is Headwaters Lodge and Cabins at Flagg Ranch. The park is under new management since we stayed there so I can’t recommend this park one way or the other. You can read reviews at this link. Moran, WY Campground Reviews - Best of Moran Camping - RV Park Reviews

As dj3spots mentioned, there is a KOA in Cody, WY along with others but I’m not a fan of wasting 2 hours of driving time every day to and from the park.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #6

For a great campground just outside of West Yellowstone try this place

Yellowstone Holiday RV Campground & Marina - West Yellowstone, MT - RV Park Reviews

I stayed here a couple of season ago and really enjoyed the place. It is about a 15 minute drive from the entrance of the park but this place has full hook-ups and is right on the side of a lake where you can fish, swim and go boating. They will rent boats if you don't have your own. The scenery is stunning and the site rates are very reasonable when you consider the area.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #7

There is always some type of road construction going on in Yellowstone during the summer months. Be sure to check with the NP website for current road conditions. Here is some current info on road construction.

Construction is under way north of the entrance to the Norris Campground on the road to Mammoth Hot Springs. Crews are rebuilding a 5.4 mile section of the road, as well as the bridge over the Gardner River. Visitors should expect daytime delays of up to 30 minutes throughout the summer season. Crews are also replacing the Isa Lake Bridge, which is on the road between Old Faithful and West Thumb Junction. This section of road will open June 11, with up to 30 minute traffic delays.

Details on both of these projects and updated Yellowstone National Park road information is available 24 hours a day by calling 307-344-2117, or on the Web at Road Construction and Delays - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg