Old 08-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #1

100% N00B from PA :)

Howdy,

My wife (Juanita) and I have just bought our very first RV ever

A 2017 Sunseeker 3050 Class C

We are quite excited to get started.

We know nothing, although I've made myself quite familiar with the RV and all the features and we plan to take our first trip next weekend. Just a short 3 day, 2 night jaunt to a PA state park only about 3 hours from home.

We live in Coatesville PA, which is southeast PA

It would have been 3 week ago, but I made a giant rookie mistake the very next day after bringing it home. We had the awning out. Left in my wifes car for an hour to pick up her friend. We got home and found the awning completely mangled and destroyed by the gusty thunderstorm that had rolled through while we were out.

So, there I was putting in a claim on the insurance 2 days after bringing it home, having never even left our driveway.

Did I feel like a wet-behind-the-ears imbecile?

Yep.

Lesson learned.

I participate in lots of different activities and have learned almost everything I know about them from on-line forums like these, and made some good friends that way as well, so I'm hoping this will be no different

Pleased to meet you all

Chris

Old 08-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #2

Welcome from north central Florida! Live and learn, right? That could happen to anyone of us. We were camping last November and just as I went to bed I heard the wind start to kick up and the awning made the camper jiggle some. I immediately got up and brought it in. We have storms come up quickly, but we still leave it out if we are out for a while. I would not do that in the late afternoon, however. I also felt the trailer bouncing around and the door being bumped. I thou someone was trying to break in, bit it was a lab outside thinking that our trailer was hers. She was on the steps, trying to get in. Her owner was a little chagrined and finally convinced her dog to go with h.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #3

Welcome from Western PA. Don't be too hard on yourself, I have towed trailers for over 40 years and still managed to get my new trailer too close to a corner of a building and dent the trim of my bumpout.

When you go on your shake down trip, make a list of the little things that you want to improve upon in your RV. I have had my trailer for a year and I am still working down my list.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
Welcome from Western PA. Don't be too hard on yourself, I have towed trailers for over 40 years and still managed to get my new trailer too close to a corner of a building and dent the trim of my bumpout.

When you go on your shake down trip, make a list of the little things that you want to improve upon in your RV. I have had my trailer for a year and I am still working down my list.
You're not that far away. My older son lives in Pittsburgh (Mt. Washington), and my younger son lives in Butler.

Our shakeout trip is to Black Moshannon St. Park, which is about halfway in between I think...
Old 08-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum from upstate NY, an old friend told me "if it ain't fatal, you'll get over it"! We have all been there, one slip up or another. See you on the road!
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #6

Welcome from central Florida!

Congradulations on the new C, now get out there and enjoy it !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #7

How was your first trip in your Sunseeker?
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #8

Welcome from SW Ohio & fellow sunseeker owner ! Enjoy your MH !
Old 09-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #9
DW's Retirement Plan

Welcome from Western Maryland!

One of the first things I would invest in would be a set of awning poles and brackets! Wouldn't have helped you at home, but it will when you're out enjoying the 3050. When I sold my trailer, I took the brackets and poles off and the first thing I did on my 3010 was to install them! Ratcheted down, that awning won't go anywhere.

BTW, when I traded in my trailer on the 3010, the THIRD awning was on it - it was a '14 Flagstaff trailer! I tried ripping my awning off the first time I took the Flagstaff out. Gotta watch those 4x4 posts set close to the road!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
How was your first trip in your Sunseeker?
Hi wilco, thanks for asking.

The trip was great, but being just a weekend it was entirely too short :-)

We've already booked a full week at the same camp ground next month.
Based on bookings, and the word of one of the park rangers, were probably going to have the whole camp ground to ourselves, and it should be peak fall color too

Cheers!