Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #1

18HFS XLR Hyperlite Toyhauler

A newbie to wheeled camping, since I'm a diehard tenter, but @ almost 71, getting up off the air mattress is getting to be impossible without a crane!!
My question for the forum has to do with the 'fresh' water vs 'city' water fill locations, and how you know when the tanks are full. I am a little leery about using the water pump and the water heater with both switches below the kitchen sink, since I don't know if there is any water in the tanks or in the water heater holding tank.
There appears to be 3 drains under the camper, all of which have only the in-line open/close valves that are impossible to turn.
My toy hauler is a 2017 FR XLR Hyperlite.
Thanks for the feedback,
Mark
witchbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #2

did you buy new? go back to the dealer and demand a good walk through demo. you should have a city water hook up when you have water on your site, you should have a fresh tank fill that fills your tank. you have an over flow tube that starts peeing to tell you your tank is full. the other tubes hanging down should be the fresh tank drain and low point drains. go back to the dealer or find a friend and get a walk through demo

oh- and welcome
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #3

Replying to my own message, the tanks have lights on the switch panel to let me know if they are full, ¼,½, ¾, etc., but I've read in here that they can be unreliable due to the gauges sticking.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #4

yes extremely
Old 07-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #5

do not run the water heater until the unit has water and you are certain the water heater is not in bypass mode (common after being winterized)
Old 07-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #6

Congratulations and Welcome to the forum from New Jersey, on your display cluster there should be tank indicators, and can you get pictures of the drains? There should be separate black and grey drain valves.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #7

Thanks, I bought the toy hauler privately, and the original owner had only used it once, and knew very little about it. The stove had never been turned on, the water had never been used in the shower or the kitchen, and only a little in the bathroom.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #8

find yourself a friendly knowledgeable camping neighbor and get some basics. beer works well for me as payment for neighbors that need help.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #9

Kimber 45
Old 07-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #10

KIMBER45,
Thanks for the advice. I have several friends in my motorcycle association that do a lot of camping, and one in particular that has their class A as their only home. Lots of good knowledge there!
witchbiker
2019 Silverado Custom 1500
2017 Hyperlite XLR toy hauler
Old 07-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #11

Connect your hose to the city water connection and make sure the water heater is not in bypass. This will fill the water heater and if you open a hot faucet in either sink it will let all of the air out. After that just open each faucet to bleed the air and you should be good. The fresh water indicator on my XLR is fairly accurate and that is how I know how much water I am carrying. I have never filled the fresh tank until the overflow starts but you could try that also. The three lines coming out of the bottom on mine are the two low point drains and the fresh water drain. You probably have the some thing.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #12

ZOOM,
Yes, thanks, it does sound similar underneath. I'll have to check it out when I get over to a dump station in Wabasso, FL tomorrow.
BTW, how did you list your vehicles under you threads? I put mine in, but they aren't showing up.
witchbiker
Old 07-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #13

Lets try it this way.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #14

Looks like you got it working! BTW another Victory rider! My first on was a 2003 Vegas and after 120,000 miles an output bearing went bad. I then purchased my current ride and pulled the key chrome parts from the old one. I now have almost 175,000 miles total on Victory Motorcycles!
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, toyhauler, xlr