Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

1st time camper owners

The wife and I just put a down payment on a Forest River Gray Wolf 28BH with outside kitchen and will be picking it up next week. Since we are new to this what are the top ten items we must have for the camper ? Coffee Pot, good sewer hose, ???? Great site by the way.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
Site Team

to the forum. Ahhh the list is long...but for me its ice cold beer
Good hose is a must!
Congrats on the new unit and will need pics

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping

One item to buy is a surge protector before your first camping trip...keeps camper safe during any electrical surges, etc.
Enjoy!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #4

Everything you would not be able to do without at home, have one for the camper. You don't want to carry things back and forth. You will never know where anything is. So, basic utensils, pots and pans, silverware, glassware. Toaster and coffee pot. All bath items, towels, soap, shampoo, toothbrush and toothpaste. For the storage compartment, basic tools, blocks of wood for leveling, any items for outdoor living. Have fun.
davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome from SC. If I had to give a top five, it would be:
1. Chairs to relax in.
2. A small folding table to sit things on, i.e., beer, bug spray, cell phone (or whatever you are going to take pics with to show all of us your sites).
3. Something to either make ice or store ice.
4. A trash can.
5. Someone to get you a beer, through the empty away, and share your relaxing experience with.
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryhorn2 View Post
The wife and I just put a down payment on a Forest River Gray Wolf 28BH with outside kitchen and will be picking it up next week. Since we are new to this what are the top ten items we must have for the camper ? Coffee Pot, good sewer hose, ???? Great site by the way.
Congratulations on the Gray Wolf and welcome to the forum and to the Forest River family.

Top 10 things you need to camp...other than sewer hose and a coffee pot...

#10 - a couple of pieces of 2" X 6" to pull up on level the trailer at the campground
#9 - a good fresh water hose, about 25' long
#8 - water pressure regulator (don't want to screw up the water lines in the trailer with too much pressure)
#7 - spare fuses
#6 - propane tanks full
#5 - a few basic hand tools, zip ties, duct tape, etc.
#4 - a voltage regulator / surge protector for the power cord
#3 - wheel chocks for when you unhook the tt
#2 - basic kitchen & cooking utensils to go with your coffee pot

And the #1 thing that you'll need...A SENSE OF HUMOR.

Something will go wrong with the tt, or you'll realize what I forgot (and you did too...like toilet paper ) or you'll have trouble backing it into the site the first time around, or SOMETHING.

Remember, we were all newbies at one time, and survived. Same for your trailer. Forest River makes good products, but if you read this thread, you would think they are all junk. They're not, but a few do have problems (my 'fridge quit on both propane and electric on about our 2nd trip).

So relax and enjoy your new trailer. If you have questions, ask away...somebody here can answer them. Most of all...
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryhorn2 View Post
You *should* get a free starter kit, if it's not offered ask for it.

It'll include a sub-par sewer hose, a (IIRC) 25' white water hose, sample packets of tank chemicals, a couple rolls of RV toilet tissue and a pair of disposable gloves.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
NELA

Someone mentioned wheel chocks...those ARE A MUST!

One of the moderators here, (wmtire) who has become friends of ours and is local, showed us his wheel chocks and we bought some...not those flimsy plastic kind.

You can find them at Harbor Freight. They're about 7.99 (IIRC) but they're often on sale for 5.00. They're heavy solid rubber with teeth molded into the bottom of them. They grip very well on solid or dirt/gravel surfaces.

Might want to consider X-Chocks for stabilization as well. They go between your tires, ratchet out to tighten and minimize the rocking from front to back.

Not a "need", but RV "Legos" are nice, about 12" square stackable plastic pads for your jack foot, stabilizer feet, etc.

Carry a box of disposable gloves and hand sanitizer for emptying your black tank.

Might want to purchase a brass "Y" for multiple water hook-ups at sites. We bought a brass 90* connector for hooking the fresh water hose to the RV as it takes stress off the connection. Both of those can be found at WalMart...cheap.

Another "want"; outdoor pvc woven patio mat....prevents tracking a lot of dirt inside...also available at WalMart.

For stocking the bathroom, I hit the "sample aisle" at WalMart. Vanities in RVs are typically small and the smaller bottles allow for more things to be put inside.

Do a search on this site regarding maintaining your black tank with chemicals vs. powdered water softener and....(forgot the other ingredient)

We use *ONLY* RV approved toilet tissue.

In fact, you can probably do a search on this site and find several posts where new RVers have asked about starter supplies and there will be items we have missed here.

You'll find that everyone here is GREAT at answering questions.

Welcome to the world of camping and

You'll want to keep two water hoses....one for the fresh water supply line and the other for cleaning up the stinky slinky (aka sewer hose). We use a green one for the stinky stuff and the white one for fresh water. Never the two shall touch!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #9

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new Gray Wolf 28BH !
Capt. Mike and Weezer offered up great advice in their posts. You might want to consider a 30 Amp extension cord too. When you camp back the trailer up into the site and before you unhook make sure your water hose and power cord will reach their respective connections..
Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #10

Small heater or electric blanket for those chilly nights is a must.

Days Camped 2015 - 20
Days Camped 2016 - 12
��
NKARENG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper