Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #1

Arrow 1st time rv purchaser needs advice please.

Hello from Granbury TX. I'm just about to buy my 1st RV and I've finally decided on a Flagstaff TT(832IKBS) by Forest River. I still have concerns about these 'slides' and on the ducted A/C systems used currently by most manufacturers. The AC is such an important issue for me and I'm trying to avoid lots of misery if things don't function as promised. It seems most TTs have one roof unit instead of 2 in the past. I know that they say with the ducted 15,000 BTU Unit, its no problem to keep the interior cool, but this is Texas and lately its hotter than hell around here with no immediate relief in sight. Should I go ahead and get a 2 A/C travel trailer just to be sure? I would really appreciate anybody's opinion on this.
Thanks, Rodney

Old 08-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #2

We have a Puma 30DBSS, which is slightly shorter and has only 1 slide. I installed a 2nd AC because 1 just didn't cut it for us in Texas heat. We like to keep it between 70 and 75 inside. With one AC in 100+ degrees and little shade, we were lucky to keep it in the low 80's. I'd definitely opt for a 2nd AC in a rig that size unless you are going to always be in full shade and are comfy with temps in the mid 80s. Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyrdr View Post
Hello from Granbury TX. I'm just about to buy my 1st RV and I've finally decided on a Flagstaff TT(832IKBS) by Forest River. I still have concerns about these 'slides' and on the ducted A/C systems used currently by most manufacturers. The AC is such an important issue for me and I'm trying to avoid lots of misery if things don't function as promised. It seems most TTs have one roof unit instead of 2 in the past. I know that they say with the ducted 15,000 BTU Unit, its no problem to keep the interior cool, but this is Texas and lately its hotter than hell around here with no immediate relief in sight. Should I go ahead and get a 2 A/C travel trailer just to be sure? I would really appreciate anybody's opinion on this.
Thanks, Rodney
It really depends on your use. I have two acs and wife and I can stay comfortable pretty easy. But a few weeks ago in south Louisiana my daughter, grandson and grand daughter stayed with us and son in law and in laws visited the next day. With so many in and outs we could not keep it cool. Trailer size, shade, temp, all play a role. I'd get it. One thing I love about it is you can run the living room ac and not have to run the bedroom ac at night. Quieter for sleeping. Air blows thru all vents no matter which ac is on. Good luck. And I have 32' rock wood 8282ws with 3 slides.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

Even in Colorado I went with the upgrade to 50amp service and 2 A/Cs. Warm enough here and I don't like to be too hot! Also, with many of the newer RVs, like mine, with the non-white exterior and roof, the unit tends to soak up a bit more heat from the sun.
2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #5

Forest River lists the insulation factors for that model as R-7 Sidewall, R-12 Floor and R-14 Roof. I would definitely add a 2nd AC unit to help you in the Texas heat. If you're factory ordering the TT ask dealer if dual pane windows are an available option.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Camper Less Camping

2nd AC is a must!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

1st time rv purchaser needs advice please.

Hello again, Rodney. I live in Texas too. Used to live in Granbury. I have always had to add a 2nd AC unit to whatever we bought. This time our 832IKBS came with 2 units from the factory. Our dealer orders them that way automatically for Texas.
One is a 15K in the living area and the one in the bedroom is a 13.5K.
I tried one out on the lot with 2- 13.5K units on a hot day just before we bought ours and it was definitely not enough for me. I would insist if I were you on a 15K and a 13.5K. You will never be sorry. When running both you have to watch your Amps. It is easy to overload and trip a breaker if you run the hot water heater, hair dryer, microwave. etc. I have never had a problem because I have a surge protector that displays current amp usage so I know when we get close. Hope this helps.
Greytdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
2011 Forest River Stealth

Welcome from the central coast of California
Get 2 AC,s you will not be sorry.
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #9

We have the same unit as the one you've selected, so we can only relate with our personal experiences, and the past weeks of camping (had the trailer since late July). We don't have your level of heat here in southern Iowa, but for example, it's been in the upper 90's all this week -- nearly 100 every day -- and the heat index has been 105 or higher every day. Trailer has been in the sun for most of the day, not receiving shade until around 4 in the afternoon. The single air conditioner has been excellent, and the unit doesn't have to run all the time to keep the trailer completely comfortable.

If you look at the duct work in this trailer, it is actually molded into the insulation that lines the ceiling. There's no loss of cooling, as with metal ducts.

One works perfect for us.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote