Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #1

2000 Forest River Wildwood

Hello everyone. I just joined the forum as I am having a problem with my Wildwood travel trailer. We have had the trailer parked for a few years and now are deciding to start using it.
We are able to run all the appliances- fridge/furnace/lights etc using a generator. Once we shut the generator off and try to run the trailer off the batteries nothing works. The batteries are at full power (2- 6V hooked-up in series) and not even the lights work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
gibi_lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #2

One thing to check is the main 12 volt Breaker. It's usually located on or near the tongue "A" frame, just under the front of the trailer. Sometimes these go bad. Could also be a bad connection on the post(terminal). It may be a manually reset breaker or auto-reset. If it's a manual reset, it'll have a small button on the side of the housing.

It'll look like this.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #3

2000 Forest River Wildwood

Hi Mike. Thank-you for your response to my dilemma. I thought there should be a master breaker for the 12V system so we looked over the whole trailer and found nothing. We checked the fuse panel breakers and fuses and everything looked good.
gibi_lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Well, to work on electrical, you HAVE to a have a good VOLTMETER. Now go to the batteries, and verify they are at 12 volts or greater. Now go to the fuse panel and verify you have 12 volts feeding the panel. If not, problem is between the two. Usually a master breaker between the battery and the power panel. Usually located on the tongue, maybe in a junction box with the trailer brake wiring/break away switch. You can't see electricity, so everything looking good means nothing. Sorry, but if you want to fix it, you have got to have the right tools and know how to use them. Just look you can't change a tire with a pair of pliers.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote