Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
dch

Question 2007 Tundra 4.7 Towing Capacity

I'm a newbie considering a Salem TT with listed dry weight of 6500. Tundra manual and online research shows this 2007 Tundra 4.7 4X4 can handle 7800 lbs. of towing. Still, can't seem to locate a good resource to calculate all the weight variables. Some show I'm fine with this much trailer others show it as marginal once I add in cargo. Anyone have a solid calculator to recommend? I don't want to kill my truck or anyone else!
dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Site Team

I pulled a 4500# TT (dry weight) with tundra 4.7L. Fine on level road but heavy strain on hills and in high head winds. Couldn't get over 40mph with 30mph headwind in nm.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch View Post
I'm a newbie considering a Salem TT with listed dry weight of 6500. Tundra manual and online research shows this 2007 Tundra 4.7 4X4 can handle 7800 lbs. of towing. Still, can't seem to locate a good resource to calculate all the weight variables. Some show I'm fine with this much trailer others show it as marginal once I add in cargo. Anyone have a solid calculator to recommend? I don't want to kill my truck or anyone else!
I tow a roughly 6000 lb loaded camper with my 2008 4.7 liter tundra. It does just fine. (I wouldn't want to tow much more.) I average around 9 mpg towing. That said your problem is payload. You need to check the yellow sticker inside the drivers door. You have about 1200 lbs payload capacity. And 12 percent of your DRY (No one tows dry) is over 800 lbs of weight. (12 percent is the average Tounge weight transferred to the truck which must be subtracted from available payload.) That means you only have 400 pounds left for people and cargo in the truck, but since you are bound to put more weight in the trailer that number is realistically much smaller.

I think it would tow it, but I'd consider a lighter weight camper if it was up to me. Otherwise be comfortable running in 4th and sometimes 3rd with high rpms. Also, make sure your truck has the factory tow package with the transmission cooler.

As the other poster pointed out high head winds stink. In Casper, WY I think I could have walked faster that I was towing. I got I think 4 mpg on that stretch. That said, 30 mph head wind is no joke and lots of engines would have trouble with it.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
dch

Thanks for the great info.
dch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, towing capacity, tundra