Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #1

2011 Shamrock 21SS 6-23-11

Today we are picking up our new Shamrock 21SS Anything we should look at or go over before leaving with it?
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #2

Everything!!!, check doors, cabinets, lights, locks, windows, a/c, heat, you get the idea....Check it all!!!!!!

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #3

I never even thought about checking the AC, thanks. I did notice the RV store hade electric receptacles all over the lot to plug in so I will check it.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Site Team

make sure ALL the systems are working, including the water system. have it pressurized and all the faucets/showers work.
make sure you understand how to setup and take down the bunk ends.
make sure they show you how to manually retract the slide.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #5

I didnt know the slide could be manually retracted. Thats also good to know.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As you are going through the PDI, imagine that you have to set it up by yourself. What questions would you have if you were alone?

The following are some of the more complex things to know...
  • Check seams and ask questions about maintenance.
  • Have them demonstrate how to take down and put up one bunk and then put it up and down by yourself with them watching.
  • Understand where all the fuses are; not just the fuse panel. For example, there is another fuse inline from the tongue under the trailer.
  • Besides the manual for the slide, have them show you the manual for any of the power options (power jack, power awning, etc).
  • Have them show you how to adjust the awning for a rain dump (tilted to the side).
  • Ask them if they tightened the wheel lugs to the correct torque. Have them do it if they haven't already.
  • Hot water heater - Have them review the HWH and how to check if water is in it and how to switch to electric.
  • Fridge - Review the two-way fridge and when to use auto vs gas only.
  • Oven and stove top - how to light. How to bleed the lines of air. Light the stove top. Know how to open and close the vent for the fan.
  • Try all switches, receptacles, and 12 volt power outlet and make sure they work.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Site Team

Lots of good suggestions have been provided. I would add to use your smart phone to video tape or take pictures of steps that you are not familiar with.

Keeping a notebook can come in handy to dot down notes on how to do something or listing things that you might have questions about or that needs fixing.

Congrats on your new toy!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Campfire Starter

Hybrid21SS, congrats on your new purchase!!! Wow, can't believe all the great info, this forum is great. We too just purchased a New 2011 Rockwood Roo 233S, so this is all great to know. We have to wait 2 weeks, before we can pick ours up, 6 hours away. But I will be taking notes up til that day.
Fx4dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #9

Welcome and congratulations!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4dugan View Post
Hybrid21SS, congrats on your new purchase!!! Wow, can't believe all the great info, this forum is great. We too just purchased a New 2011 Rockwood Roo 233S, so this is all great to know. We have to wait 2 weeks, before we can pick ours up, 6 hours away. But I will be taking notes up til that day.

Wow..6 hours !!! I was complaining about 2 hours !!

Everything seems ok. The only problem so far was the outside shower lock was frozen. Once I got it open I had to work the latch with vise grips to work in back and forth to free it up. I hate all the storage locks. Have to push the door as you turn and they are still hard to turn. The key should be bigger/stronger.. Other than that, seems fine. Going to test it out soon. Heading to Watkins Glen state park, NY for first time. We bought it on spur of the moment and most of our reservations are tent sites we had to cancel and most of the sites we have now are non electric so no AC. Lol.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid21SS View Post
Everything seems ok. The only problem so far was the outside shower lock was frozen. Once I got it open I had to work the latch with vise grips to work in back and forth to free it up. I hate all the storage locks. Have to push the door as you turn and they are still hard to turn. The key should be bigger/stronger..
Try some powder graphite in the locks. Helps somewhat.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
Campfire Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid21SS View Post
Wow..6 hours !!! I was complaining about 2 hours !!
Yeh we are going to make weekend of it and hopefully sleep in the camper in a park near the dealer the night we pick it up. I was bit reluctant to buy the that far away, the deal was right and so was the camper. Had a hard time finding one locally, believe we tried.
Fx4dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #13

We just moved to central/southern NY from Long Island and there seems to be quite a few RV dealers within a few hours drive. Our whole process of buying a TT was short. We went tent camping with friends that had a 31 foot Fun finder TT. We got the bug instantly. Our friends also had a Chevy Avalanche as a TV as we originally meet them through the Avalanche fan club. I just didnt want to pull something as heavy and they suggested we look at hybrids. Sunday night and Monday morning I searched local RV dealers I found with Google and the Shamrock seemed to be popular. We liked the 19, but when we drove to the dealer that seemed to have the most units in stock Monday night, the 21SS with the expandable dinette/sofa was awesome. As most sites did not list prices (this one did) not sure if we got a good deal. But we made a deal and went back to pick it up 3 days later. So I guess it was an impulse buy. Lol. Cant wait to camp with it.