Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #1

2015 Shasta Airflyte - Sorry, but there are issues

First time RV'er and chose to purchase the little yellow 2015 Shasta Airfltye 16 re-issue. Took delivery back in November. I was smitten with the style and design, but have been less than thrilled with the build quality. Maybe I'm being too critical (?) being a first time buyer - expecting too much - but I hope my experience and what I have seen may help others.

I've always heard "caveat emptor" and guess I've come to learn the true meaning over the last 2 months.

Anyway, I'll start a thread in the vintage section to hopefully help others improve where the factory lacked. Maybe I just got a quick build that was thrown together to get it out the door, but I feel that the Shasta factory is in dire need of a quality control department. Actually thought (hoped) maybe the factory was staffed by the Amish or Mennonites, but absolutely certain that is not the case.

Would I buy it again? Yes - there is nothing comparable in price, style, decor and "feel". I'm really, really looking forward to actually using it! I just wish the Japanese would have built it.

BTW I am 100% American, an engineer by trade and lean heavily towards very conservative politics. And yes I am picky too - but as you'll see in the threads I post, some of what I've found is just common sense i.e. water and wood are not good bedfellows, and in some respects the re-issue is, I feel, built to fail.

But I still love the little thing.....just could have been done much, much better.
DCSconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #2

Having been throughout my Roo I can assure you there is nothing "quality" or "craftsmanship" about FR TTs. Mass production at its worst. Look up some camper build videos. Jayco has one and it takes about a single shift to throw one together. Amish craftsmanship is marketing and nothing more. It is unfortunate but it is what it is in The US today. However, the family togetherness afforded by camping is immeasurable, have fun with it and learn to fix it yourself so you know it is done right.
2003 GMC 1500HD 4X4 6.0 3:73 Diablo tuner
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forums! I didn't find any quality problems with my TT but other owners haven't had the same outcome. You will quickly find out that the RV business is nothing like the auto or home business.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shasta