Old 08-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #21
win

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
Not much is said about the Wildcats but I think it's worth a look. Wildcat Chris gave us a plant tour and showed new features in them that compare higher priced models. They are leading the way with new technologies and keeping the price in line. We just bought a 327ck this spring and love it. The PDI went very smooth with a couple of very small fixes and one thing that occurred during delivery. As a bonus Wildcat Chris checks on the Forum as a friend to help out with problems & questions we have with the Wildcats.

I agree, the Wildcat is a great unit.
I have 2008 rk and have had no problems

My next unit will be a Cat again

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 08-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
What size tow rig do you plan on starting with?
One ton dually or bigger?
We purchased a 2014 Ford F250 CC SRW truck about two weeks ago and both love it. The 2014 Trailer Life towing guide and the Ford pubs lists its towing capacity as 15900. We are still trying learning all the nomenclature for all the weights, but I think it will probably tow most any of the 5th wheels out there except maybe for the largest ones. We are looking to stay below 40' in total length and, hopefully, not bump up against any of the limits.So, now, the hunt is on for a the 5th wheel.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #23
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmainship View Post
We purchased a 2014 Ford F250 CC SRW truck about two weeks ago and both love it. The 2014 Trailer Life towing guide and the Ford pubs lists its towing capacity as 15900. We are still trying learning all the nomenclature for all the weights, but I think it will probably tow most any of the 5th wheels out there except maybe for the largest ones. We are looking to stay below 40' in total length and, hopefully, not bump up against any of the limits.So, now, the hunt is on for a the 5th wheel.

Don't get caught up with the published 15,900 tow capacity number as your truck's payload will calculate out much lower. Typically hitch weight for a fifth wheel will fall between 20-25% of campers "loaded to go camping" weight.

At the hypothetical 15,900lb rating...your hitch weight would fall between 3,100-3,900lbs...most likely your Ford will be in the low 2K's...just something to consider, enjoy the search!

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear
Old 08-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Don't get caught up with the published 15,900 tow capacity number as your truck's payload will calculate out much lower. Typically hitch weight for a fifth wheel will fall between 20-25% of campers "loaded to go camping" weight.

At the hypothetical 15,900lb rating...your hitch weight would fall between 3,100-3,900lbs...most likely your Ford will be in the low 2K's...just something to consider, enjoy the search!

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

X2 on this. I had to trade my F250 to make the 5er jump as my f250 only had 1500 lbs of available payload. Do yourself a huge favor, go weigh your truck loAded with all people, pets and gear that will be in it when towing. If not already equipped with a fifth wheel hitch, add another 150 lbs to that weight. This will be your scaled weight. Now take that scaled weight and subtract it from your f250's gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity. Take your scaled weight and subtract it from your gvwr to get your available payload. This number will likely be far below published numbers as options, people and gear have to accounted in payload. Pin weight of a 5er or tongue weight of a tt have to be accounted for in payload as well. The other thing you need to look at is rear axle capacity. Subtract the scaled rear axle weight from the gross RAWR to see how much room you have available on your rear axle for pin weight. Again, loaded pin weight and loaded trailer weight must be light enough to keep you within all limits.

Remember you will never tow a dry or unloaded fiver. On average people add 1500 lbs of cargo (clothes, food, chairs, tools, dishes, etc all add up really fast) to a trailer, more if you full-time. Calculate 20-25% of loaded weight to figure out a loaded pin weight. If you want to be 100% certain you will be within limits then calculate using max limits of trailer (25% pin weight of trailer gvwr).

There are rivers your truck can tow, just maybe not what you originally thought. You might find the sabre silhouette nice and they are a lighter weight, should be doable for your truck. Also check out montana high country (keystone) and sunset trail (crossroads). Honestly, looking at the weights on the cedar creek, they are dually territory. The only 2 I would even attempt with my SRW 1 ton diesel are the 32RL and the 34RLSA. That comes from knowing the exact weight limits of my truck and knowing how close to my limits my current fiver has me.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #25

And as for neglecting your motorcycle--they make 5th wheel toy haulers for that!

Seriously, last week we did our first CG, full hookup run with the TH, and having that garage is awesome, even if you don't bring a "toy" in it...all the junk, laundry, wet clothes, etc winds up out there instead of in your living space.

Good luck with your search!
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #26

Approach purchasing a 5er just like purchasing a used boat. Even a new one is going to need a survey. I think QC is much better in the marine industry comparitively. Both will have electrical AC/DC systems. Fresh water and holding tanks.

Coming from a boating background and understanding 2' itis, I think the floor plan is more important than length. Look at lots of layouts and get the one your truck will pull. Pulling into a space at a lot of parks is like pulling into a slip (with out tide or wind of course). Drive through a few rv parks in your area and look at the various set ups.

Good luck on your quest,

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #27

I will add this. Do as much research on the dealer you are purchasing from as you do on the coaches you are looking at. Also calculate you weights yourself. Most salesman will tell you that a half ton will pull 40'.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #28

As a former boat and jet ski owner I see the similarity between owning those toys and a TT. Ya gotta like to tinker and keep the P.M. Up on the toys.

TV 2012 Chevrolet Silverado CC 5.3
TT 2007 Puma 30QBSS
Reese 12000 WDH
Reese Anti-sway bar
mwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
X2 on this. I had to trade my F250 to make the 5er jump as my f250 only had 1500 lbs of available payload. Do yourself a huge favor, go weigh your truck loAded with all people, pets and gear that will be in it when towing. If not already equipped with a fifth wheel hitch, add another 150 lbs to that weight. This will be your scaled weight. Now take that scaled weight and subtract it from your f250's gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity. Take your scaled weight and subtract it from your gvwr to get your available payload. This number will likely be far below published numbers as options, people and gear have to accounted in payload. Pin weight of a 5er or tongue weight of a tt have to be accounted for in payload as well. The other thing you need to look at is rear axle capacity. Subtract the scaled rear axle weight from the gross RAWR to see how much room you have available on your rear axle for pin weight. Again, loaded pin weight and loaded trailer weight must be light enough to keep you within all limits.

Remember you will never tow a dry or unloaded fiver. On average people add 1500 lbs of cargo (clothes, food, chairs, tools, dishes, etc all add up really fast) to a trailer, more if you full-time. Calculate 20-25% of loaded weight to figure out a loaded pin weight. If you want to be 100% certain you will be within limits then calculate using max limits of trailer (25% pin weight of trailer gvwr).

There are rivers your truck can tow, just maybe not what you originally thought. You might find the sabre silhouette nice and they are a lighter weight, should be doable for your truck. Also check out montana high country (keystone) and sunset trail (crossroads). Honestly, looking at the weights on the cedar creek, they are dually territory. The only 2 I would even attempt with my SRW 1 ton diesel are the 32RL and the 34RLSA. That comes from knowing the exact weight limits of my truck and knowing how close to my limits my current fiver has me.

Has anyone put together a spreadsheet for all of these calculations? Personally, After all I've read on this subject, it seems quite confusing, an I'm sure it's much simpler than I'm imagining.
I hope to pull my rig up to the CAT scale this afternoon and gather all my numbers.

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouNick View Post
Has anyone put together a spreadsheet for all of these calculations? Personally, After all I've read on this subject, it seems quite confusing, an I'm sure it's much simpler than I'm imagining.
I hope to pull my rig up to the CAT scale this afternoon and gather all my numbers.

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
Ependydad has a blog with a towing calculator that does all the calculations for you. You can do a quick search and find it, it may even be on his signature line

Tags
5th wheel, wheel