Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

A short introduction and tale of misadventure

Well, I'm Jeff, and it's been an interesting winter. My dad recently bought a 2014 WPT30FLA toy hauler

And it's been a very interesting time getting acquainted with it. In fact the image above might literally be the one he bought, the image is linked to somewhere in Ocala FL and that's where he got it. It'd be interesting to know the VIN in that pic.

We hauled it up to MI where he has a 6 month contract engineering job. Turns out an '04 Silverado 4.8 can kind of manage it, just within the GVWR, albeit at about 8 MPG. Real glad I fixed the tow/haul switch wiring in the past.

Unsurprisingly, late winter in MI is not the ideal time or place to learn the ins and outs of RVing, but by necessity here we are for the time being.

I've been browsing tech chat for a minute and am very encouraged to see what looks like a knowledgeable and helpful user base. I'm aslo familiar with this forum format from other enthusiast sites and unfortunately the search function here seems typical from what I've experienced elsewhere, so expect to see a couple tech threads/questions from me in the near future.

Anyways, glad this forum exists and with some further experience, trials and tribulations I hope to be able to contribute someday.

Jeff
6SPD_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums.
Looks like a nice unit your dad bought.

As for the VIN you will need to look at the MFG tag on the W&P not sure where that is.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #3

Yeah, it's spiffy and seems pretty well put together for the most part. A few stripped Phillips screws I've already come across and I'm not crazy about that.

He's tentatively planning on it being his retirement home and spent some money on it, out of character but hopefully not a bad plan.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum! Love the paint job on your dad's 2014 WPT30FLA.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #5

My wife and I have had 3 work & play trailers and currently have a 30wrs. I sent him some suggestions on how to stay warm as we use ours for cold weather camping as well. They are very tough. I can't imagine towing it with a 4.8 chevy. We have had a 2500 gmc with a duramax and now have an 11 f250 with 6.7 liter diesel and they do great. Hope things work out for him.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Welcome to the forum! Love the paint job on your dad's 2014 WPT30FLA.
Ahoy there Wisconsinite! Yeah, it definitely makes a bold statement but the red and black has some personality to it. Even the stock wheels are kind of aftermarket and blingy looking. Can't find a good pic but they're something else.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #7

Scott, we had to tow it from FL to MI. Ordinarily a GPS system would route you through the mountains in GA, thankfully somebody thought ahead (fine, I'll take credit) and decided on a slightly longer but much flatter route. Enough trouble maintaining 63ish as it was.

The 4.8 did admirably considering the task, definitely not ideal but ultimately got the job done. Transmission is a 3spd+OD, spent a lot of time in 3rd creeping up mild grades. I don't know if it's my imagination but the engine really seemed to perk up once we got into colder air, had very little trouble hitting and maintaining 65-70 up around Ohio. Makes me think an engine under real load get's even more benefit from dense air.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #8

Nice looking TH! If he plans on towing it much, he definitely needs to look into getting a bigger truck. Even if the 4.8 will move it, the trans isn't going to like it for long. Very few of the 4.8 trucks came with the towing package that includes larger trans cooler and engine oil cooler. Welcome to the forums!

Tags
vent