Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

A toast to Auntie Shirley and my new motorhome

My favorite Auntie, Aunt Shirley passed away last month suddenly from a stroke. I flew out from San Diego to Texas to be with her and she passed away. She was a widow with no children and named me as executor of her estate and my inheritence is her beautiful little 2006 26' Forest River Lexington RV.

Shirley put more miles on her motorhome than her car the last couple of years. She drove it from Texas along the east coast to Newfoundland. Across Canada to Britich Columbia, to Nashville, Montana, Utah, Colorado, AZ, CA, FL. There were few states that her motorhome didn't see. Most of these trip she was by herself going along with her RV Club. She was a brave a wonderful woman who I miss dearly.

Her last trip, she joined my Dad and my 12 year old son going from Northern California to Mount Rushmore and all points inbetween for six weeks this summer in his motor home. I had to work and didn't join them at all on this one, someting I will always regret.

Shirley had a zest for life. I took her sky diving for her 60th Birthday. She went ziplinning in British Columbia for her 70th.

My hope is that I will use her motorhome as she did. With passion and a free spirit and love for seeing new things and meeting new people.

I'll need to learn a few things. I didn't bother hooking up the sewer the whole way from Texas to San Diego because I didn't know how. I don't know how to back the thing up so made sure I only went forward. It should be fun learning and hopefully I won't make too many dents in her along the way. Not that I am worried. Shirley took off a piece of the motorhome pretty much every trip. She just had it glued back on and kept going.

So I ask you to join me in a toast to my beautiful Aunt Shirley and wish me luck as I brave the open road and keep her spirit alive.
Nancyskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #2

your story is a nice tribute to what sounds like a very special lady
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyskis View Post
So I ask you to join me in a toast to my beautiful Aunt Shirley and wish me luck as I brave the open road and keep her spirit alive.
Cheers to you and the memory of Aunt Shirley. Welcome to the Forest River Owners family.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A toast to your Aunt Shirley. She sounds like quite the woman. Great story !!

Congrats on your inheritance, and welcome to the forum !!!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #5

kudos to you and your wonderful aunt
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #6

great story, what a spirited woman aunt shirley must have been! may she rest in peace, I am sure she will be along for your new journeys in the RV!

2011 Dodge Ram
2013 Rockwood 8319SS
dsotmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Awesome Aunt Shirley! Thanks for sharing

Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #8

Yes, awesome story..... I only hope to do half of what Aunt Shirley was able to accomplish.....
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Site Team

to the forums & thanks for sharing abour your Aunt Shirley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfskinner View Post
Yes, awesome story..... I only hope to do half of what Aunt Shirley was able to accomplish.....
You are off to a good start already. As for those challenges, just take it one step at a time. I found that campsite neighbors are a great resource as most RVers are friendly and willing to help.

For dealing with the sewer I would suggest starting with a site with full hookups. You will be dumping the tanks at the campsite instead of the dump station so there's no pressure about someone waiting.

Remember there's a learning curve to RVing about you can take it a speed you are comfortable with.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #10

Thank You for your warm welcome!

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome. I am almost done doing a good cleaning and getting ready for my first real trip.

Yeah!!!!
Nancyskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #11

Here's a toast to Aunt Shirley ! Great story and someone we all can aspire to be like as we grow older What a wonderful way to keep her memories in your heart each time you are out exploring this beautiful country, just as she did.

Welcome to the forum! Safe travels and many happy miles. Drive the two lanes when time permits to take in Americana in its fullest. Soon you will become an expert on the systems of your RV and lending advice to others.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #12

Great story! Welcome to the forum.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post

As for those challenges, just take it one step at a time. I found that campsite neighbors are a great resource as most RVers are friendly and willing to help.

For dealing with the sewer I would suggest starting with a site with full hookups. You will be dumping the tanks at the campsite instead of the dump station so there's no pressure about someone waiting.
Terier awesome suggestions........ you are so right about neighbors at a campground, the best..... and learning close to home helps, especially when it the first time out..... we rented a spot for one night at a campground about 3 miles from our home.... went that day and set up and went thru everything we knew or thought we knew.... and then got help from the RVers in the next campsite.......... we quickly realized we didn't know everything we needed to know..... buy them TT from a personal sale didn't really allow for the proper transfer of info.....
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote