Old 01-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #11

If you like tents, maybe check out the Roo Hybrid campers, many people that come from the tenting world like these campers, they have tent ends on them.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #12

I agree with the previous posts. I might also add to look a lot. If I .... is very expensive. If you plan/can Camp at lest once a month then I feel the “expense” might be justified to your wife. We only Camp a few times a year(so far) and I feel “the money” could be better spent, but there is always hope. I would go to an RV store and set and pretend living in the RV...with me I would need to leave the kids at home for the serious looking. They get bored and tired not to mention distracting my thoughts.

Funny story...we were looking somewhere and had been in several that day and my grandson was doing his 4 YO exploration and discovered one had water and a pump on or something. He was as happy as if he had found a golden nugget... he said “Pawpaw. This one has water!” Goofy kid.

Couple things we looked for... 1. Be able to set all applicable parties to see the tv when you want as a family. 2. Prefer no kitchen slide. 3. Bed room slide is good to ensure walk around room in BR. 4. To me outdoor kitchen is a real nice adder(especially extra fridge that actually works). 5. Outdoor storage that’s big enough for largest possible item.(TT means you have the full bed...I don’t). 5. Price and weight range you prefer. 6. I also prefer slide toppers...a must for me. Good luck and most important is to enjoy.

Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #13

I'm excited for you... get it! Read what Lundy said. The memories are forever priceless - you won't regret it. Good luck and happy camping!
tbaker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #14

Being form Southern California we can use our RV pretty much year round. We go out every 3-4 weeks for a fri-sun trip. I look at it this way. We only have 18 summers with our kids why not create as many memories as possible in that time! My boys are now 13 & 10 and we’ve own a RV of some kind every year since being born. Wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s my time away from the office and my employees with my family and no worries about work at all. What ever happens at the office can wait till Monday when I return!

SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #15
Grammar Pedant

I went from a $40 tent, to a really nice tent, to a super nice popup, to an amazing Rockwood 2504S (not yet used). That was a slow 13 year transition, though.

I looked at the 2509S and 2504S. For us, the 04 was the easy winner. I not only don't value an outdoor kitchen, I don't want one at all. Pantry, more storage, larger bathroom with linen closet, overhead kitchen storage, and easy walkthrough with dinette slid in were big factors for us. 09 has wider bunks, but the ones in the 04 are fine.

These are all very minor differences that easily skew the other way for other people. I'm not arguing that I'm "right."

The key is family buy-in. For us, we all agreed that it was time to get off the ground and into a PUP. Then, at the end of last season, we all agreed that it was time to stop cranking and get a hard side.

I'd skip the Hybrids. They're nice, but cost about the same as the Mini/Miro Lites. I just prefer a full hard-side at this point and can't be bothered with canvas/vinyl anymore.

Your truck is fine for all the Mini/Micro Lites.

Good luck.

TV: 2005 F150, 5.4L, Tow Package, 4WD
Current RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote