Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #1

About to Purchase!

My wife and I have been camping in a tent for the past two years. We have two small children who will be 5 and 1 come this season. So, we wanted to buy a travel trailer. We have taken a real liking to the Rockwood 2509s and the Flagstaff 25BRDS which are the same as far as we can see (both made by Forest River). Being new to all of this, and the wife being reluctant to spend the money, what can I tell her that will make her glad that we bought the travel trailer? We are afraid of regrets and not making the most of the trailer. Me, I want to tear away Friday after work, return home Sunday Evening. I also want to vacation with the thing. Any suggestions out there on vacation routes or trips that are popular while camping? Thank you for the advice everyone, a lot of questions here!
jcmiller923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:26 PM   #2

I'm not sure I have any great words of wisdom that would help, but I can tell you our experiences. If you have been tent camping and enjoyed doing that, than the TT will make the experience 10X better. Those trailers are basically a house on wheels with all the modern conveniences, such as a heater when the weather is cold, a place to sit out of the rain and play games with the kids, a real bathroom/shower when the kids get dirty etc. The comfort level from the tent to the TT goes beyond words. We bought a trailer when the kids were young such as yours and spent many years exploring this country. The kids are grown now and out of the house but still bring up stories of our time in the trailer. I believe that the time spent with your kids on the road is the most valuable time that you can spend with them. It is better than doing the sports things etc. although we did that as well. Nothing better than taking a hike in the forest or visiting a national park when it is just you and the kids. One of my best memories is my son and I talking a long walk on the same ground where Pickett's Charge was during the Civil War, we talked about the war the entire time and it was a great teaching/bonding moment for us. These are the type of memories you get with a trailer. Don't worry that the trailer will be under used, in my experience some years it was used A Lot and others years not as much. Just the fact that you have access to the TT will be a positive influence for you and your kids. Sorry to be so long winded, but I miss the days that are in your future. Buy one and enjoy.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:52 PM   #3

Not familiar with those trailers. Consider options you want because sometimes you can get more for a little. Electric Stabilizers is one thing I wish I had on my TT. I love my outdoor kitchen. I would go fiberglass if it wasn’t much more.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmiller923 View Post
My wife and I have been camping in a tent for the past two years. We have two small children who will be 5 and 1 come this season. So, we wanted to buy a travel trailer. We have taken a real liking to the Rockwood 2509s and the Flagstaff 25BRDS which are the same as far as we can see (both made by Forest River). Being new to all of this, and the wife being reluctant to spend the money, what can I tell her that will make her glad that we bought the travel trailer? We are afraid of regrets and not making the most of the trailer. Me, I want to tear away Friday after work, return home Sunday Evening. I also want to vacation with the thing. Any suggestions out there on vacation routes or trips that are popular while camping? Thank you for the advice everyone, a lot of questions here!
I suggest renting a TT first and see how she likes it, so you won't have to commit to a big investment.

What are you planning to tow with?

Having owned a Rockwood, I am of the opinion that they and Flagstaffs are well made, especially for the price point.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmiller923 View Post
And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and ev'ry highway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do , I saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the highway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
And through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way,
"Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way"

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
The right to say the things he feels and not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows and did it my way!
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #6

That would make one heck of a Song! Youroo!!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:28 AM   #7

Thank you for the thoughts. The type of memories that you describe are those which I too hope to have. I am looking forward to the years that come. Thank you again!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:37 AM   #8

Thank you for the reply. We have considered renting, however, we enjoy the tent enough she feel that it is not necessary. I might agree, but renting does help you understand your likes and don't likes.

I will be pulling this with a GMC Sierra, 5.3L, 3.73. I can pull 10,800lbs. Supposedly. I wanted to keep my Gross Weight below 7500lbs and my trailer length less than 30'. This seemed the perfect option.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #9

We started in tents, then pop ups. The move yto travel trailer occurred when the boys, 3 and 5 need to pee in the middle of a cool and rainy note. She was not happy as no toilet in rig, filled two red cups, lol and she said no more!!!
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #10

Lundy's "no great words of wisdom" were just the opposite. The extra security and comforts of a trailer are priceless if the weather turns bad. With small kids, the hot water and warm beds are a blessing, GO FOR IT!! God Bless.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #11

If you like tents, maybe check out the Roo Hybrid campers, many people that come from the tenting world like these campers, they have tent ends on them.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #12

I agree with the previous posts. I might also add to look a lot. If I .... is very expensive. If you plan/can Camp at lest once a month then I feel the “expense” might be justified to your wife. We only Camp a few times a year(so far) and I feel “the money” could be better spent, but there is always hope. I would go to an RV store and set and pretend living in the RV...with me I would need to leave the kids at home for the serious looking. They get bored and tired not to mention distracting my thoughts.

Funny story...we were looking somewhere and had been in several that day and my grandson was doing his 4 YO exploration and discovered one had water and a pump on or something. He was as happy as if he had found a golden nugget... he said “Pawpaw. This one has water!” Goofy kid.

Couple things we looked for... 1. Be able to set all applicable parties to see the tv when you want as a family. 2. Prefer no kitchen slide. 3. Bed room slide is good to ensure walk around room in BR. 4. To me outdoor kitchen is a real nice adder(especially extra fridge that actually works). 5. Outdoor storage that’s big enough for largest possible item.(TT means you have the full bed...I don’t). 5. Price and weight range you prefer. 6. I also prefer slide toppers...a must for me. Good luck and most important is to enjoy.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #13

I'm excited for you... get it! Read what Lundy said. The memories are forever priceless - you won't regret it. Good luck and happy camping!
tbaker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #14

Being form Southern California we can use our RV pretty much year round. We go out every 3-4 weeks for a fri-sun trip. I look at it this way. We only have 18 summers with our kids why not create as many memories as possible in that time! My boys are now 13 & 10 and we’ve own a RV of some kind every year since being born. Wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s my time away from the office and my employees with my family and no worries about work at all. What ever happens at the office can wait till Monday when I return!

[emoji41][emoji631]
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:10 PM   #15
Grammar Pedant

I went from a $40 tent, to a really nice tent, to a super nice popup, to an amazing Rockwood 2504S (not yet used). That was a slow 13 year transition, though.

I looked at the 2509S and 2504S. For us, the 04 was the easy winner. I not only don't value an outdoor kitchen, I don't want one at all. Pantry, more storage, larger bathroom with linen closet, overhead kitchen storage, and easy walkthrough with dinette slid in were big factors for us. 09 has wider bunks, but the ones in the 04 are fine.

These are all very minor differences that easily skew the other way for other people. I'm not arguing that I'm "right."

The key is family buy-in. For us, we all agreed that it was time to get off the ground and into a PUP. Then, at the end of last season, we all agreed that it was time to stop cranking and get a hard side.

I'd skip the Hybrids. They're nice, but cost about the same as the Mini/Miro Lites. I just prefer a full hard-side at this point and can't be bothered with canvas/vinyl anymore.

Your truck is fine for all the Mini/Micro Lites.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote