Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #1

About To Take The Plunge

Hey guys, we're new here but have gotten some great info about tow vehicles in the "Toad" thread. Today I was trying to post a question in the "General Discussion" Forum but keep getting kicked back out as not being logged in. I can start a new thread anywhere else but not there. Anyway, this is a great forum and we're glad to be becoming a part of the "subculture".

My question is this: What time of year are the new models released? Seems we have seen a few 2011's around but are confused about when the model year changes. We are on the verge of buying a 5'er and want to make sure we're looking at all the latest bells and whistles.

And while I'm here, does anyone have a pic of the inside of a BH with an outside kitchen? Its something we are seriously considering but all I've seen is the plan-view line drawing and I can't picture what the bunk(s) would look like in the outdoor kitchen model.

Thanks guys and sorry if this is not the correct forum for this.

Jake and Julie
jakenjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Grape Escape

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry as there are no correct or dumb questions.
Manufacturers seem to push the model years way in advance. Seem to start with next model year as early as February of previous year and make changes again mid year. Have seen my 2008 which was built April of 07 come with totally different options, colours, cabinets etc. later and still classed as an 08. I remember Ford producing 3 model years in one back when we had a Windstar. No ryme or reason.
Not sure about the outdoor kitchens as these are the latest fad and you must loose some interior space to accomodate them. Quite happy using a camp stove and portable BBQ and personnally see no need for the outdoor built in setup.
One word of advise. Buy what you really want first time as it can get very costly to keep upgrading as we are on our 3rd unit in 4 years
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #3

We ordered our rig in May of '08, took delivery in September of '08 and it's considered an '09
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #4

Regarding the model year question... Start by assuming there aren't any model years. This will prevent insanity.

I am convinced that no two RVs are identical. The manufactures are continuously changing things, literally. So on Tuesday an RV goes down the line and the plumbing is routed. Tuesday afternoon they get a call from a dealer that is having an issue and they decide to route hot water tube #64.3.Alpha 2 inches lower for everything that doesn't already have the plumbing done.

They also add features in mid year, remove options... it's crazy but it's also great because they are competing against each other to make it better.

So my approach is this:
1) Choose a type of RV (5ver, Class A, etc.)
2) Choose a manufacture. I have to say that I'm pleased with Forest River.
3) Choose a model within the type
4) Start studying. Pull up used and new rigs for sale that go back a couple years for your specific model. Learn about the features. You may even be able to dig up PDF files of the brochures from the manufacture that go back a few years.
5) At this point you'll know more than any salesman
6) Go to a show / call the manufacture and find out what there plans are. You may find that they are discontinuing the model or a new model with a "must have" feature is around the corner.
7) Keep in mind that your best deal may be a rig without something that you want, but something that you (or the dealer) can easily add
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #5

I agree with TulsaSteve. We ordered a rockwood 8317rkss. I did a lot of searches online and looked at a lot of models. I'm not sure about the year models but I have looked at the out door kitchen models. The thing about the outdoor kitchen models you lose 1 bed in the back, the lower bunk on that side. Given that I feel you gain storage. You now have outdoor storage for cooking items, fire spices, pots and pans. Inside instead of having the bed you have a dresser now. It is not very deep but it looks like it has a lot of room. We went with the out door kitchen for these reasons, plus I've burnt bacon inside before, NOT GOOD. There are several models with the outdoor kitchen, we chose the Rockwood. Good luck in the search, for us that was a lot of fun.
2005 Brute Force 750
And most importantly, a loving wife, 2 year old son and a NEW BABY GIRL NOV.30 (I do it all for them!)
rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #6

If you are looking for pictures there are some great ones at rvdirect.com or rvwholesalers.com. That's where we went for pictures. Plus our local dealer had one in stock as well. You really have to try and see one in person to get a good feeling of it. The pictures are of ones with cherry interior, I think, I haven't been looking for a while. The dealer had one in cherry also. For us it feels too dark. Just us, I have a really damaged eye so can not see very well in low light so we wanted a brighter trailer. Good luck.
2005 Brute Force 750
And most importantly, a loving wife, 2 year old son and a NEW BABY GIRL NOV.30 (I do it all for them!)
rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #7

Thanks guys - very helpful info. Steve, that makes complete sense about the year model issue. I think we were beginning to assume this. And Rigger, thanks for the links: we found some great pics.

We are in knee-deep now. We purchased an '07 GMC diesel dually the other day so the die is cast. Now we just have to make up our minds about a trailer. I almost wish there were only one choice, but then I start drooling over all the different options . Anyway its a lot of fun! More questions to come!

TV: '07 GMC 3500 D/A DRW
5'er: Sierra 35LOFT "Tree House"
2 boys
2 dogs
jakenjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Grape Escape

With that TV I'd look straight away at a 5th wheel. (Reread your post and see this is what you are already looking at) Save yourself some steps in upgrading. Ask me how I know? Check signature
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote