Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
T W

ac quit cooling

We set up then noticed the ac wasn't cooling. Fortunately there was an RV dealer close by who had a technician available to come to the campground to fix it. They added Freon which included adding a Schrader valve as it is a closed system and otherwise not serviceable. The camper is only 2.5 years old, the ac is Dometic. The added Freon solved the immediate problem but will it last? Is it worth trying to have it fixed or should I expect to replace it? With another Dometic? I've been seeing bad reviews about Dometic ac's

T W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #2

Just had mine replaced under extended warranty ! glade i got it .
aupainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #3

Wow...you got lucky. An RV tech who knew how to add a service port. Unless he screwed in a bullet valve, which will eventually leak anyway. AC cycle does not consume refrigerant. Low refrigerant means a leak and I would bet the the unit isn't worth fixing. However, if it runs for a month or two, you can keep adding refrigerant yourself.

if I could ask, what did he charge you to come, put in a service port and add refrigerant? Just curious.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by T W View Post
We set up then noticed the ac wasn't cooling. Fortunately there was an RV dealer close by who had a technician available to come to the campground to fix it. They added Freon which included adding a Schrader valve as it is a closed system and otherwise not serviceable. The camper is only 2.5 years old, the ac is Dometic. The added Freon solved the immediate problem but will it last? Is it worth trying to have it fixed or should I expect to replace it? With another Dometic? I've been seeing bad reviews about Dometic ac's

The fix will only last awhile . if the leak was not fixed which i suspect it wasn't.

dometic has had some problem's with units leaking out the freon . Colemen has also had issues with their units . tyhe mach 8 is prone to have the conndenser fan fall apart . easily replaced with a supposedly better fan blade . either way weather dometic or colemen you can have issues . my dometic has been cooling for 3 yrs full time without issues
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
T W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Wow...you got lucky. An RV tech who knew how to add a service port. Unless he screwed in a bullet valve, which will eventually leak anyway. AC cycle does not consume refrigerant. Low refrigerant means a leak and I would bet the the unit isn't worth fixing. However, if it runs for a month or two, you can keep adding refrigerant yourself.

if I could ask, what did he charge you to come, put in a service port and add refrigerant? Just curious.

Scott, the service tech installed a valve to add refrigerant and charged me $290
Old 07-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
T W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
The fix will only last awhile . if the leak was not fixed which i suspect it wasn't.

dometic has had some problem's with units leaking out the freon . Colemen has also had issues with their units . tyhe mach 8 is prone to have the conndenser fan fall apart . easily replaced with a supposedly better fan blade . either way weather dometic or colemen you can have issues . my dometic has been cooling for 3 yrs full time without issues

The original leak was not repaired, just added valve and freon so I know it will leak again. Just wondering if it can be repaired.

Tags
cooling