Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #1

Ahh that new RV smell

Good morning all, the wife and I are new to RVing and are now owners of a brand new Micro Lite 21 DS (not too many of ya'll out there based on my searches of this model). In any case, we absolutely love our choice so far.

Picked it up on Friday and took a quick trip to the coast to try it at the RV park where we could hook everything up. Everything has really worked flawlessly so far and we couldn't be happier. The only two things we've noticed so far is that it's difficult to lock/unlock the door lock, and when the heater is on, after a few minutes it starts making this lound rattling noise. It heats just fine, but something must be vibrating against something back there.

I'm sure I will have a lot of questions for you guys as we go along, but one quick question would be what size generator do think would work for this RV should we go somewhere without elec? I can't decide if a 2000 watt one would work just fine, or do you think I should spend the money and go for a 3000 watt? Pretty much everything is 12V except for the AC if I understand it correctly. Thanks for any advice you can offer, we'll take any and all of it.
csoftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoftx View Post
but one quick question would be what size generator do think would work for this RV should we go somewhere without elec? I can't decide if a 2000 watt one would work just fine, or do you think I should spend the money and go for a 3000 watt? Pretty much everything is 12V except for the AC if I understand it correctly. Thanks for any advice you can offer, we'll take any and all of it.
regarding a generator, first questions is: do you want to run the a/c?
if so, then you need a Yamaha 2400 MINIMUM to run it. but it is advertised to run MOST 13.5k a/c's, which yours should have if you didn't upgrade it to the 15k a/c.
second question: do you plan on using it for dry camping(camping in developed campgrounds that don't have hookups) or are you planning on using it to boondock(camping in undeveloped areas where you don't have anyone close to you)?
if it's dry camping, you need an inverter generator which should have low noise levels to keep disturbing neighbors to a minimum.
if it's boondocking, then any generator, no matter the noise level, will work.
the Champion 3500 open-framed one is a very popular choice for this.

and the microwave and the 110 outlets are not 12v.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #3

bikendan, I picture us most likely either doing the RV lot where there are hookups, or dry camping where there isn't anyone around.

Here in Texas we will definately be using the AC a lot and you are right it is the 13.5 a/c. I forgot about the microwave haha.

Great info and helps a lot, thank you!
Old 02-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Site Team

if i needed my a/c and didn't already have a Honda 2000, i'd be buying the new Champion 3100w inverter generator.

it has the power to run the a/c and other things at the same time and costs under $1000 and has a lot of great features, all with a very low decibel rating close to that of a Honda or Yamaha.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 02-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

Thanks again bikendan, I will definately be researching those this evening.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

Bikendan, is this the one you were referring too?

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-No-75531i-Generator/dp/B00BBDCE1S
Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoftx View Post
Bikendan, is this the one you were referring too?

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power.../dp/B00BBDCE1S
Yes.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Have your dealer check out your furnace - it's covered and there is no need for you to try to troubleshoot or fix it while it is under warranty! I have a Honda EU2000i and it will run everything but the compressor on the AC (it will run the fan). I always turn off the AC or the space heater when I run the microwave any way. The Honda is very quiet and I have rigged up an extended run tank so it will run all weekend without cutting off.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:28 AM   #9

rjf7g, thanks and yes the plan is to have the dealer fix this. We keep waiting to find other problems but haven't come across anything else yet thankfully. We're very pleased so far and only disappointed that we haven't been able to hit the road more often. Only one trip so far. The 10 day outlook shows mid 70s and I'm getting itchy.

Received the Champion 3100w generator today and first impressions are very positive. Started on first pull, much quieter than I expected, and I don't seem to have any problems running anything. I've yet to fire up the microwave but the AC ran like a champ.

Again, thanks for all the help and advice.