Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #1

All in

Hello all!
After having our fill of life on the east coast, my wife and I sold our house and bought a '14 rockwood 2306. Starting next week, we plan to spend the next three months driving to San Francisco with our young son and dog (the southern route, of course).
We are both completely new to this, but excited to get to it. Any suggestions or advice, apart from seeking psychological help?

Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Average Joe

Welcome and enjoy the dream!

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

Make few plans, have no expectations. Plan ahead only to the next campground and no further. Stay a few nights in each spot.
Be prepared to learn something new everyday.
Move slowly. Sleep late a lot.
Take a lot of pictures. Give the kid a camera of his own if he's old enough to just point and shoot the thing.
Ask advice only from people who seem to be having a good time.
I prefer state parks to commercial campgrounds, unless you want a good swimming pool or well stocked "rv store"
Get one of those "next exit" kind of books. And a good GPS. Being lost is not the same as travel without a set agenda.
Don't spend too much time inside the camper.
Avoid fast food. Find local Mom & Pop eateries.

I'll think of more later.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #4

Welcome to the Forest River Forum.

Ditto on Radio's post.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #5

Hello all, I am new to this forum, just to let you know I did have a 2012 v-lite on 9-11 this year I had a 100' pine come down on it, it was a total loss, no one was hurt. Now I am in the market for a replacement, I am staying with Forest River products, the question I have is how does a Flagstaff differ from a Rockwood?
Old 01-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbca69 View Post
the question I have is how does a Flagstaff differ from a Rockwood?
They are built on the same line, in the same building, by the same people, the same tools, suppliers and plans. In short, not much difference.

You have a choice of trim, fabrics and dealers between the two. That's all.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
Cyber Phrenologist

Oh, and jnew...

On the technical side of things...

Take the new trailer out for a week of local "shakedown" before you take off cross country with it. RVs are hand built, and as such there is something wrong with all of them. Get all that fixed before you go.

Checklists are a great thing for setting up and getting ready to move. People who have RV'ed for years still use checklists. Use the search tool on this forum to find some examples. Checklists keep you safe and reduce worry.

Get a selection of simple tools and keep a small tool kit in the camper. Small hammer, screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, wire cutters, that sort of thing.

Get a selection of "Spare parts" bulbs, fuses, hose clamps, electrical tape. If you fill a small tackle box you have enough!

If you have all this and a credit/debit card, a cell phone and a next exit guide, you're about set to go.

Oh, and a set of dominoes. Get that. All the RV stores/catalogs have them. We have a set. Don't know what it's for. Never used it. But it must be important because all the other RVers have them.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnew View Post
Hello all!
After having our fill of life on the east coast, my wife and I sold our house and bought a '14 rockwood 2306. Starting next week, we plan to spend the next three months driving to San Francisco with our young son and dog (the southern route, of course).
We are both completely new to this, but excited to get to it. Any suggestions or advice, apart from seeking psychological help?

Welcome and enjoy your new life for the next 3 months.
You plan on settling down on the west coast?

If you have never had a trailer I would drive it on the highway to see how it pulls. Also a great suggestion is camp out in your driveway or close to home a few days so you learn and use all the appliance, learn how to level, etc. Plan on a trip to camping world for a few things.
Short list.
Level pads
Water regular attachment
A good sewer hose with multi use connections
A bubble level
A good tire pressure gauge
Wheel/brake Chocks
A good water hose
I'm sure other may add to this list.

Being you are new to trailering all I can say is make sure you check your tire pressures regularly on your trip. Change in air temperature, elevation and road can change the pressure. No one wants a blow out while driving down the highway. The biggest cause is almost always low tire pressures and heat build up.

Like others have mentioned, take it slow, enjoy the view, stay a few nights each location. The camera idea is really great for your son if he is old enough. If you need any information on your route of where to stay give us a shout. Also fuel get cheaper in the southern route until you hit the California border.

Happy New Year and enjoy your journey.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnew View Post
Hello all!
Ahh to be young, daring and so free spirited again!

(the green is for envy)

Wring every drop of life out of this experience! Create enough memories for a lifetime...and above all else...

I'll quote an old but still very appropriate adage;
Life is about the journey, not the destination.

Oh, and if you're going the "really" Southern route, swing through Louisiana, kick off your shoes, sit a spell and have a big bowl of gumbeaux!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #10

Everything Radio said is very good, sound advice. I don't use books tho. I have apps on my IPhone for Next Exit, WalMart and several gas stations. Trying to move myself into this generation, I found that the apps are kept more up to date and books are usually on updated once a year when reprinted.