Old 11-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #1

Smile almost ready to roll

My husband and I have decided to take the plunge and join the travelling club, we love to camp on weekends and for a couple weeks at a time. We plan to sell our home in Mississauga, Ontario and our 215SB Starcraft and buy a Flagstaff tt 831FKBSS, pull it with our Nissan Titan 4x4 (that has the optional tow package and will tow 9500lbs) and tour North America soon. I've just been advised that I really should be looking at a 5th wheel because travel trailers don't haul for long distances. Any thoughts please.
thanks Norma
days we hope to travel in 2010 will be 365

Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Travel trailers will tow just as well as 5th wheels when the vehicle and setup are correct. With that said, in order to tow a 5th wheel, you'll need a different truck. Not near enough payload capacity on the Nissan for the pin weight of a 5th wheel. Also don't believe the 9500 pound tow capacity. There are plenty of other threads on towing capacity and how to figure it for your vehicle. Do some homework. You won't be happy towing the trailer you have picked out with the truck you have. Trailer will be close to 7000 pounds or over, once you have your gear in it, and hitch weight will be over 900 pounds, not to mention 34 ft. long. Other opinions?

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Travel trailers will tow just as well as 5th wheels when the vehicle and setup are correct. With that said, in order to tow a 5th wheel, you'll need a different truck. Not near enough payload capacity on the Nissan for the pin weight of a 5th wheel. Also don't believe the 9500 pound tow capacity. There are plenty of other threads on towing capacity and how to figure it for your vehicle. Do some homework. You won't be happy towing the trailer you have picked out with the truck you have. Trailer will be close to 7000 pounds or over, once you have your gear in it, and hitch weight will be over 900 pounds, not to mention 34 ft. long. Other opinions?
X5 here. One emergency maneuver and you will be wishing you had at least a 3/4 ton full size truck in front of that rig.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #4

thanks! Sounds like I should look at another trailer or another truck.
This site is great!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Grape Escape

5th wheel is the way to go if you are planing extended trip since you may need new Tow vehicle as well. Just down the road in Hamilton.
We went from tt to 5th and love the spaciousness, ceiling height and towing ease of the 5r. Had a 28' tt and it would pull nice the majority of the time but when the winds were strong it could easily get off track. Never with the 5th and we had some scary defensive manouvers due to inconsiderate drivers that would have put the tt in the crash zone.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #6

Norma, I tow my Surveyor 255RS Ultra Light (4300 #) with my 07 Nissan Titan with the Big Tow Package long distances all summer long and have been very impressed. The only upgrade I suggest for the Titan would be some Airlift Airbags ($300), it allows me to load the bed with a generator, fire wood, and 16 kayaks on the toneau and roof without any sag, bounce or sway, tracking straight as an arrow.

I also get another 6-8 kayaks on the roof of the surveyor and load it with a few hundred pounds of gear, food, and pets. A couple tips, travel with holding tanks empty and the fresh water about 1/4 full for pooty breaks (even with the water 100% full, she tows great). And - rotate the tires often!

If you have any questions about towing with your Titan, drop me a PM. I have been through it all with that truck and have it dialed perfect for towing my Surveyor.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #7

I've been down this road....

Step 1) Let's get a really nice TT.. They are only $30K..
Step 2) We are gonna need a bigger truck - $20K
Step 3) Well if we are getting a bigger truck, we should look at 5th wheels
Step 4) These 5th wheels are incredible. (The 30K TT became a $55-60K fiver)
Step 5) This 5th wheel is perfect. ($20K truck became a $35K truck)
Step 6) Well this is gonna be great, but we are spending $95K
Step 7) Hey look honey.. We can get a Georgetown that is a couple years old with very low miles for $85K. Buy a TOAD for $10K and we are spending the same money.

And that my friends is why I have a 2007 370XL with a Saturn Vue TOAD!