Old 04-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #1

Aloha from Poulsbo WA.

Newbie to RVing, hoping to purchase FR 5th wheel soon, still shopping and trying to decide which one. Finding this site very helpful.

So far we are looking at either the Salem Hemisphere or Cedar Creek Silverback lines but open to suggestions.

I have a 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel for tow vehicle, still researching it's limitations.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #2

Welcome!

Read the reviews on dealers...I'm not prepared to name my HORRIBLE dealer yet, but it's north of Seattle by a good bit..anyway, we took our FR 36DBK5 out for the first time last week to deception pass state park and had a great time. Everything in the trailer worked perfectly! I have no bad words to say about FR at this point (3 nights camped). Pay attention to the length of the trailer you're going to pull and your total rig length, mine is way too long to easily get into state parks. Also, the Washington Ferry System charges by the 10' on total rig length (49'8" costs significantly less than 50' rigs-yeah they different models do matter for total length, they can vary by a foot or so and end up unexpectedly costing you more, not necessarily a deal breaker but something to be aware of.. Enjoy and happy camping!

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninemmsig View Post
Read the reviews on dealers...I'm not prepared to name my HORRIBLE dealer yet, but it's north of Seattle by a good bit..anyway, we took our FR 36DBK5 out for the first time last week to deception pass state park and had a great time. Everything in the trailer worked perfectly! I have no bad words to say about FR at this point (3 nights camped). Pay attention to the length of the trailer you're going to pull and your total rig length, mine is way too long to easily get into state parks. Also, the Washington Ferry System charges by the 10' on total rig length (49'8" costs significantly less than 50' rigs-yeah they different models do matter for total length, they can vary by a foot or so and end up unexpectedly costing you more, not necessarily a deal breaker but something to be aware of.. Enjoy and happy camping!
I am actually considering going to Jeff Couch's in Ohio so far units I'm looking at the savings would be 7-12K.

I have worked on Whidbey Island a lot and checked out Deception Pass state park, looks like a cool place to camp, also like Ft. Flagler. Ft. Warden is windy as hell and cold.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:26 PM   #4

Taxes

Make sure you prepare for the taxes to import into Washington...sales/use tax work out the same..

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #5

Ninemmsig
how did you pull a 36 foot thru the park? or did you go to the new part across the street? i have not had the courage to pull my 5er thru the old park as the trees are really close to the edge of the road. I have stayed at quarry pond several times and had fun.

Gman, stay away from the dealer with your home town namesake.......
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #6

Thanks heard the same thing. Looked at couple of units at South Hill in Puyallup.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMattox View Post
Ninemmsig
how did you pull a 36 foot thru the park? or did you go to the new part across the street? i have not had the courage to pull my 5er thru the old park as the trees are really close to the edge of the road. I have stayed at quarry pond several times and had fun.

Gman, stay away from the dealer with your home town namesake.......
Nope, I stayed at site 59-the only site that would work..also, I had vodka available at the end of the tunnel! Seriously, my rig is 59' long, the trailer is 41', I just went deep through every turn and prayed. I didn't even take the dirt off the bumpers but had many close calls, I wouldn't do it again. I amazed myself when I drove back without the trailer attached.

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #8

We prefer Quary Pond because the sites are larger and get more sun. This area used to be a commercial park and has a few pull through spots.
Larger units can get into a few of the west side loop spots but most are tight and the roads are narrow.

Spent Saturday up there doing volunteer maintenance. We were going to camp but canceled because of the weather,

BTW: welcome from the Coupeville side of the Port Townsend ferry.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:58 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
Welcome from Exit 88 on I-5, some not all State parks
have a length limit on units. We were up along hood
river at a State park and our 33ft 5th wheel just fit
into a spot, had to do allot of jockeying to get it in.
I had to park the truck in a different location because
it would not fit in front of trailer. Slots were square to
the road not slanted, very narrow, large rocks across
the street so you had to tuner pretty shapely to get
into the slot, glad I was not longer.
W5KAV
This years Camping 75 days
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:30 AM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Welcome to FRF, from Camano Island!

when we lived in California, we bought our HTT from a Midwest dealer and drove all the way there to get and bring it back. made a camping trip out of the return and got familiar with all the stuff.
we saved over $4000, even after trip costs, on a trailer that had a MSRP of only $22k.
if we decide to get a 5th wheel or TT, we'll probably do the same thing, since prices there are so much cheaper.

FR found us local dealers that would do the warranty work, once we got back.
of course, i didn't expect to be first in line. i just waited til the winter and left it with them, telling them i was in no hurry. that way i got free storage during the winter.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote