Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
Owner/Operator

Question An OLD Newbie from Arizona

I've owned 5th wheels for the past 28 years for both pleasure and business, from our first 28' Holiday Rambler to a 40' London Aire.

I currently own a 40' Weekend Warrior Wide Lite Toy Hauler that I have used to transport Sound Equipment with me to Rodeos throughout the western US. At the ripe old age of 70, it is now time to reduce the Rodeo work, and do some pleasure traveling.

I am looking to purchase a nice 5th wheel in the 30 foot range, and the Rockwood Signature Ultra Light has caught my eye. We will not be full timing, but will spend probably a maximum of 4 weeks (trip to see the kids in PA) in the RV at any given time.

In researching the Rockwood, I am not finding a dealer here in the central Arizona area, and would definitely need to look at the construction/workmanship before buying. So if there is anyone in Arizona with a Rockwood, please PM me if you'd be willing to have a visit.

Now, to dive in to the Forum and get educated.

RodeoGeorge (wa3pnt)
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #2

Welcome!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

George,

1st ... Welcome to the forum!

The only dealer I could find in AZ with any Rockwoods in stock was Galpin in Dewey. McMahons carries them but doesn't show any in stock in the Mesa or Tucson. I don't know the folks at galpin. But here's a link:

http://www.galpinrv.com/

Good luck with your search!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the forums! You should have no problem finding plenty of reading here from suggestions to improvements.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
Owner/Operator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
George,

1st ... Welcome to the forum!

The only dealer I could find in AZ with any Rockwoods in stock was Galpin in Dewey. McMahons carries them but doesn't show any in stock in the Mesa or Tucson. I don't know the folks at galpin. But here's a link:

Dewey, AZ: New/Used RVs For Sale. Campers, Motorhomes, Travel Trailers & More! Contact Don Malcolm at (928) 925-9485 for internet pricing!

Good luck with your search!
Thanks DnD. Dewey is a stones throw from Chino Valley, so I'll wander over there and test the waters.

I have the 2009 WW, so may be able to work out a trade in as opposed to trying to sell outright and then purchase. We've pretty well decided on the 8288WS, with several options, so it will be a factory order.

Again, thanks.

RodeoGeorge (wa3pnt)
Old 12-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sounds like you got a good plan. We ordered our Crusader because the dealer didn't have one on the lot the way we wanted it. Besides ... there's something to be said about buying a trailer that 1000 pepole haven't walked through.

Let us know how the search is going!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #7

Tour factory

Toured the factory in august saw them being built. I was impressed with them. Might be my first 5th wheel. Welcome to forum

Salem 27rls 2012
geodavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
Sounds like you got a good plan. We ordered our Crusader because the dealer didn't have one on the lot the way we wanted it. Besides ... there's something to be said about buying a trailer that 1000 pepole haven't walked through.

Let us know how the search is going!
DnD, you are the man. Checked the Galpin site, and they have a 8288WS on the lot. Not what I want (no Diamond Package, etc.) but it will let the wife satisfy her requirement to actually see the floorplan.

I also will speak with them about a trade-in on the Weekend Warrior. I hate to "sell" myself, knowing that financially that is the way to go. Just hate the hassle, and I travel a lot so that impacts my ability to sell.

Is it "fate" that one exists within 20 miles????? LOL

RodeoGeorge