Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Another Anxious New-Englander !

Hello All,

It was only a few years ago when we thought the 22' no slide Sunline was enough. All of you are rolling on the floor already! I know!

The Darling Wife (DW I think the acronym is) decided that being close enough to retirement age, we needed a big fifth wheel, and get out of town and do something for a few years while we still can.

The sunny got traded up for a new '15 35ROK Sandpiper. My 1 year old Dodge Ram 1500 got traded in for the truck in the signature below. Boy oh Boy, am I learning fast, and the hard way on some of it! The DW was sommehow thnking the '14 Ram 1500 was going to be OK. I had to explain a few things to her. No, just kidding!

But you know what? We had the new rig at a campground nearby for the season last summer, and I have not felt so great in a very long time. I had somehow forgotten what a campfire smells like, how quiet the woods can be, and how a burnt hot-dog is better than a $20 steak when you're around the fire. The wife loves it, I love it, the dog goes nuts, and I forget how much it costs, and don't care at that point.

I don't hardly know my neighborhood at our house planted in the ground, but I darn sure know at least 30 people in the area around our site. Better people I cannot find anywhere.

This season we'll gt the rig on the road a few times, and get the feet wet, and I'll learn lot more (the hard way I am sure) but this Forest River Site seems to be the right place to get an education.

I do have one big question already - the trailer is registered for 16,000, the truck 11,000 that makes the whole rig registered for 27,000 combined. A CDL is needed for anything over 26,001 combined, but are RV's exempt from this since they are not commercially used? If I need a CDL, I better get going on it!

'03 F350 4x4 Dually Crew Long Bed with 24,000 original miles 8-)
heavily modified 6.0 PSD by Ocean State Performance Great Job!
Threw the Bullet Proof Diesel catalog at it Cab off rebuild down to short block
Stock Trans / 4:10 Dana 80 Axle a very burnt out wallet
ell_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #2

RV's are exempt from CDL requirements unless they have air brakes,but then who would know? This is in Mi,dont know if it extends to other states.I was just talking to a trucker friend last week and mentioned this,he said the wieghmasters just wave anything RV or PU's thru unless there is a logo or dot # on them.Example would be a LQ horse trailer (which from a discriptive and legal pov is an RV) with the name of a horse farm on it , they will check that out,even down to a saftey check! If there is no lettering or logos on it,they will ignore it. Ask me how I know!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote