Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

Another new Forest River owner

Hi all,

I'm Vince from Michigan and am driving to Iowa to pick up my new 2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite Model: 21FBRS Travel Trailer from the dealership (Cheyenne Camping Center) this Friday. Then I'll be driving my new trailer up to NW IL (drive north for an hour and a half and get out and say, where the hell am I and that's my brother's farm in corn country). I'll be camping out at his place that night and caravaning with him and his family to the Grundy Co. fairgrounds speedway in Morris, IL on Saturday. He'll be pulling the race car with his new Dodge 5.7 liter Hemi pickup and I'll be pulling my new trailer with my new 2013 Ford F-150 5 liter with the factory trailering package. And either staying in the pits Saturday night (not likely) or driving back to MI and stopping at the first decent area rest east of Chicago for the night. Then on the rest of the way home the next morning. This is my first trailer and haven't pulled a trailer of any size since I was in the USAF back in 69-73. I drove up to 40' tractor trailers then, but we're talking 40 some years ago. Looking forward to it and a little nervous with the Chicago traffic and all, but I should be going through there late at night.

I'm open to any tips, tricks or pointers other than driving like Granny for the first weekend.

I've seen talk on here about camping at various military bases. Anyone know what the criteria is for that? I'm a 100% service connected disabled Vietnam Vet and have base commissary privileges. Only problem with that is there are no active duty military bases in MI that I know of. But I am planning a trip this winter to Southern Calif., my old stomping grounds after I got out of the AF in the 70s to early 80s. And it would be great to hit some base campgrounds along the way, if I qualify.

Well, that wraps it up for now. Wish me luck with my first trailer trip (I have been RV'ing with a friend so I'm not quite a total newbie).

Have a great weekend all,

Vince
vmeiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

Welcome!
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum from Dawsonville, GA.
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

Congrats on the new TT. My only advice for driving through cities is the obvious one...,plan ahead for lane shifts and exits. Driving like grandma is not the end of the world. Beats missing an exit and having to turn around on city streets, speaking from experience.
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #5

Hello. My first post and my first TT. Had a Tent camper pop up before. After new years will be taking trip to CA and anywhere else that has descent weather.
Vacationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Missing Link

Welcome from Genesee MI.

Tags
forest river