Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #1

Another new guy

Hey all, I'm Tom,
I'm new to campers. After months of searching for what I wanted and reading 100s of reviews, and hundreds of hours reading forums, I ended up putting a deposit on a 8313ss Rockwood.

I know, it's a giant camper for a new guy, but anything smaller seemed like it would be too small. I am moving to Alaska in June, so we wanted something that was more reliable then a 5-6 year old trailer that has been around the world. Then I was looking at almost $20 for used trailers, then it seemed obvious to spend a few more dollars and buy new.

I am putting my house on the market in Jan, and if it sells, I'll be living in this thing. And I am driving to AK, so my temperary home will be dragged along with me.

I am looking forward to getting it. I ended up picking one out from RVWholesalers after doing a lot of camper shopping. They were $2k under my local dealer if I paid shipping. But we decided to take the road trip and go get it. Should have it next month.

I am a research freak, so I will wearout the search button, and won't ask too many questions. I've been doing these types of forums for many years. It isn't uncommon for me to have only a couple hundred posts after 3-4 years. But rest assured, I'm reading. I'll post when I can't find an answer, or when I actually know what I'm talking about. Other then that, I'll be over here in the corner, lurking.

thanks
tbiker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. While Rockwood might be a nice trailer it is not something I would want to live in Alaska in in the winter. Or did I mis-read your post? Rockwoods and many other RV's are really only a two/three season RV's and not intended for winter use, except maybe in Texas. For winter camping use trailers like Teton are much more suited for the cold. And even then I would not want to be in Alaska winter in one.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #3

I won't be living in it in AK. It is hard enought to keep a house warm in those winter temps. But I might end up living in it here in Mississippi until I move to AK. It will be for recreational use once I am there.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #4

Welcome. Wow Miss. to Ak. what an adventure. What is it that promotes such a drastic change in environment. I have never been there but I hear it is ruggedly beautiful and am sure you will enjoy it. Have a safe trip.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #5

The Air Force tells me where to go. This will be my 6th move in 19 years, and I've been lucky. I've gotten my 1st or second choice every time. Some assignments have been better then others, but I'm really looking forward to going to AK. It has been my dream assignment for a long time, it just has never been available for me until this time.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #6

Welcome aboard!
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote