Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Another newbe

My DW and I are new to RV'ing, have backpacked and tent camped for years but wanted to expand and possibly work on the road. We just bought a 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 which we pickup in a few weeks. Looking forward to hitting the road and meeting new people. Any must have lists for a first trip would be appreciated. Thanks
LambPen-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #2

Many will recommend you do a camp out in the driveway. You can learn about some of the features, as well as find possible problems before you hit the road.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:08 PM   #3

My must have is a sense of humor!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #4

Don't rush the walk through and ask lots of questions and take notes. Let them know its your first, they may slow down and cover some "obvious" stuff that they would assume you know already.

and Welcome, have fun
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and the world of RVing. Make sure to do a good PDI, the form is available in the library for down loading and take with you. Take good notes and ask a lot of questions. Good luck and enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #6

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and the replies so far. Being new to the forum as well as to RVing so still working on navigation on the forum. I will look in the library as mentioned above.

Did download the PDI form from the library and already noted a few items I probably would not of thought of so thanks very much for the suggestion.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 PM   #7

Lots of patients and duct tape to muffle the Dw when the patients wear thin
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:43 PM   #8

Wink

Duct tape...when her patience or mine wears thin, or maybe both
Old 02-27-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
Always Learning

Here’s a list I put together a while ago. The list of NEEDS for a camper is pretty short. The list of SHOULD HAVES is a bit longer. And the list of WANTS are endless.

See if this helps:
Newbie, First Trip Essentials
Old 02-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

Welcome and congrats on your new Rockwood Mini Lite 2306!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #11

Welcome to the world of glamping! Our kids still tent and do backcountry, they think it's ridiculous what we call camping! Lol.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #12

Thanks for the welcome. I will still do some back country backpacking trips but DW will remain at base camp [emoji4]
Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #13

Picked up the new Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 today. Glad to be bringing it home [emoji537] Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1521166171.960636.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	165315
Old 03-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #14

She looks great. Again congratulations. I'd love to share all the "little" mistakes I've made since we started camping. Just so you might avoid them. But nobody would read a post that long. But I'll share a couple & add a couple suggestions.
When positioning on the parking pad, be aware of the pad's thickness & where the steps of your trailer wind up. First time we camped, I had the steps so the bottom step was right at the edge of the pad ( about 4" think ). Add that 4"s to the normal height of the last step, and it was a REAL long step up or down.
Bet I'm not the only one to do this...Start to raise the tongue of the trailer to hitch to truck and forget to raise the stabilizers ( almost crushed the rears ).
A couple suggestions..Wrap the microwave turntable platter in a towel & store somewhere while traveling. We hit some rough road & had the microwave pop open and the platter fall out on the floor. Lucky it did not break.
Do a walk around like an aircraft pilot before you drive off. Check underneath ( chocks, stabilizers, stuff you stored during stay ) down sides ( windows closed, hoses & power disconnected, etc. ) the roof ( TV antenna down ), hitch & sway control pinned and or locked.

You're gonna love it. Have a great time.
Tuckerdog1

Old 03-15-2018, 10:28 PM   #15

Setup looks awesome. Me and mine are currently camping for the third time in a week in our brand new Rockwood Roo. You are gonna love it! Just know stuff is going to break. Our water heater didn’t work on the first trip and currently our refrigerator has stopped working. Hopefully you bought the extended warranty and adjust as you go. Good luck.

Rockwood Roo 233s
F-150, Ecoboost, ProPride 3P
RooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:55 PM   #16

We use a piece of pool noodle to keep the microwave plate in place. Cut it to fit snugly between the plate and the top of the microwave. Got the idea on this forum.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
We use a piece of pool noodle to keep the microwave plate in place. Cut it to fit snugly between the plate and the top of the microwave. Got the idea on this forum.
I like it. Thanks

Tuckerdog1

Old 03-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
She looks great. Again congratulations. I'd love to share all the "little" mistakes I've made since we started camping. Just so you might avoid them. But nobody would read a post that long. But I'll share a couple & add a couple suggestions.
When positioning on the parking pad, be aware of the pad's thickness & where the steps of your trailer wind up. First time we camped, I had the steps so the bottom step was right at the edge of the pad ( about 4" think ). Add that 4"s to the normal height of the last step, and it was a REAL long step up or down.
Bet I'm not the only one to do this...Start to raise the tongue of the trailer to hitch to truck and forget to raise the stabilizers ( almost crushed the rears ).
A couple suggestions..Wrap the microwave turntable platter in a towel & store somewhere while traveling. We hit some rough road & had the microwave pop open and the platter fall out on the floor. Lucky it did not break.
Do a walk around like an aircraft pilot before you drive off. Check underneath ( chocks, stabilizers, stuff you stored during stay ) down sides ( windows closed, hoses & power disconnected, etc. ) the roof ( TV antenna down ), hitch & sway control pinned and or locked.

You're gonna love it. Have a great time.
Tuckerdog1

Thanks for the comments and pilot check list. I am sure we will have our share of misses [emoji846]
Old 03-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooDad View Post
Setup looks awesome. Me and mine are currently camping for the third time in a week in our brand new Rockwood Roo. You are gonna love it! Just know stuff is going to break. Our water heater didn’t work on the first trip and currently our refrigerator has stopped working. Hopefully you bought the extended warranty and adjust as you go. Good luck.

Glad to hear you like your Roo we had looked at a few of those as well.

We are taking about a month in the drive way prepping and stocking before our maiden voyage the 3rd week in April. Then a few weekend trips close to home before any longer trips.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post

[emoji106]