Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

Another Newbie

We just purchased a Forest River Sunseeker 3170DS. We are currently having vent covers installed and having latches installed for the upper bunk. (The dealer refused to install latches!!) Any advice on what NOT to do would be appreciated.
capndinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
camping

to the forum!!! congrats on the new camper.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Congrats on the Sunseeker! I can't think of anything right off of the top of my head on what to avoid but sure there's a long list somewhere.

Wait - I just thought of something. Try not to get everything you will ever need or want right away. In time you will find out what you really need. I try to keep everything simple in my trailer - less to deal with and everything has a home that is easily located.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier
Congrats on the Sunseeker! I can't think of anything right off of the top of my head on what to avoid but sure there's a long list somewhere.

Wait - I just thought of something. Try not to get everything you will ever need or want right away. In time you will find out what you really need. I try to keep everything simple in my trailer - less to deal with and everything has a home that is easily located.
Thanks ...That is good advice!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by capndinghy View Post
Thanks ...That is good advice!
Guess I should confess that I took a lot of stuff back to the store for a refund after admitting either I didn't need it or wouldn't use it.

Currently I'm flip-flopping over a dish dryng mat to help with the over flow of dishes while washing. I like the concept but can't think using a towel could be useful in more than one way.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #6

there are some things u want to get with the trailer when u purchace it (the ladder, wired for second a/c comes to mind). the ladder has to have supports under the skin when they build the trailer. wiring for a second a/c is usually more difficult to install after the trailer is built.

ur dealer may not have wanted to install latches for the same reason. can't think of any other.

with that welcome to the forem. there is lots of good advice on here.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Guess I should confess that I took a lot of stuff back to the store for a refund after admitting either I didn't need it or wouldn't use it.

Currently I'm flip-flopping over a dish dryng mat to help with the over flow of dishes while washing. I like the concept but can't think using a towel could be useful in more than one way.
Those Mats do work pretty well. Glad u mentioned that, so I can pick one up!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #8

Chuck

I have been showing dogs for 40 years. I have had tent trailers, regular trailers, class C. Class A and a diesel pusher. First, your 3170DS can only take 1 air conditioner. TV reception is at best marginal with the outside antenna. I put in a weingard satelite dish on the roof. Took the spare receiver from the house and changed the 24 inch tv for a 32. I then removed the Jensen radio and put in a JVC KW-NT30HDT receiver that does am/fm/HD radio, blue tooth,CD/DVD/aux, usb,mem card, video/navigation, and. added XM satelite radio. The total weight of all this is about125 pounds. I also got the big foot leveling system. Next upgrade will be a sleep number matress. It weighs next to nothing as it uses air for the matress. I should recover 50 pounds. Consider traveling with as little water as practical. If you are not dry camping, you can travel with 1/3 to 1/2 of a tank of Fresh water. The articles I have been reading suggest that driving a 55 mph will yield the best fuel economy.

If you look under the rear of your coach behind the rear wheels you will see 2 tubes. The rear one seems to be the Fresh water tank drain. You may not need to winterize your motorhome in texas. I am still looking for the hot water tank bipass.

Jerry Crosby
adogman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #9

I just upgraded from a Sunseeker 3100, great C enjoyed it very much. The Hot water bipass is under the sink. My fresh water tank drain was located midpoint under the unit, the low point drains were behind the rear wheels. Back to the original topic though, take your time in purchasing items, I did have a dish strainer (not a mat) that fit into one of the bowls. I also carried a DC inverter.

A second AC is not really needed in that unit the one in place performend well in my unit.

Have fun and enjoy
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #10

How about a shammy in lieu of the dish drying mat?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
Site Team

A shammy is a good idea especially it has dual uses.

Before my last outing I went ahead and brought a drying mat from Target. It was double the price compared to other stores but my dry hands don't get caught on the material like with other drying mats. For a dollar or two more the larger size would been a better value but the smaller size is working out well and I do have a dish rack too. After each use I hang the mat up to dry on a clip hanger in the closet and it stays out of the way until needed.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #12

New to Site...not new to camping,
Going to pick up in the next few weeks my new 2011 work & Play 27ULPS. Months of research went into purchase, I'll be hauling my Harley. My first trip is over Memorial Day Weekend, and I'm looking forward to it!
indianbikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #13

We had a successful Maiden Voyage the other day on our first overnight. Could not get the cable TV to work but I am hoping the problem was the borrower "antenna" cable. I use my dish drying mat as a 'buffer' for the coffee maker riding in the sink while underway. So far so good. The mesh drain filters are a must. I have one and just got another for the other sink. Thanks everyone for the good advice. Mileage is a bit better at 7.6 this trip.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #14

Re - The bunk bed. - When down the bed rests on rail on either end. Look at the underside of the bunk bed on the left side. You will find a sliding latch. When down it doesn't do anything. On the left wall you will find a plate with 2 screws holding in on to the wall. There is a hole in the middle of the plate. When in the up position, the latch on the bottom of the bed fits into the hole and the position of the latch will lock it in place.

I found the hot water bipass under the sink but in order to get to it, One must remove the drawers. I couldnt find latches to do this and without removing them, I could only reach the top lever. I need to reset the other two as well.

Jerry Crosby