Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Trailer Trash

Another one from MN

Picked up a 2013 Columbus 320RS. So far so good with the RV. Decided why wait till I'm an old fart to do this. I see too many people wait till their retired to do their bucket list items. They retire, then they get serious health challenges, then their RV dreams are in the black tank.

Slideshow of trip home from dealer and initial setup at RV park.
Login to a private Photobucket.com album
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Site Team

to the forums and congrats on your new Columbus 320RS!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

Sweet, another 'sohtan! Welcome and Columbus's are some very nice rigs. A little late in the season, but do you have any trips planned with that mobile Hilton presidential suite you got there?

Just got back from a run down to Bluff Valley Campground in Zumbro Falls this last weekend. We do a big trip there with my dad's friend/next door neighbor's crew. Had 80 of us there this year. We do some tubing, drinking and minor hijinks for the weekend. Good times.

Again,and
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Trailer Trash

Thanks RSGT. No trips planned. I am at a seasonal sight and this is my version of a cabin via a Hilton Hotel on wheels. I have traveled all over the USA and parts of Canada for work in the last 30 years. I did cross country trips on a Goldwing and Harley. I have seen the USA in a Chevrolet.

Soooo, I'm being non traditional, drive 70 miles on the weekend and turn the key on my Hiltonhead RV. I have also found that RV's tend to get beat up when you move them all the time for road trips. I know a park model RV would be more my style. But, nobody makes a park model with the Taj mahal inside of the new Columbus rigs.

The beauty of a 5th wheel vs. a park model is.........I can move it if and when I want to. Can't do that with a park model as you have to hire a Toter/Semi to move it for you.

I used to live off of 169 & 109th years ago. That Champlin area is growing big time. Take care and drive safe!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #5

Ah, that is not a bad way to go. My parents are thinking of doing the same thing. They currently have a Crossroads Cruiser, but he is looking towards Mobile Suites and Open Range 5'ers to park for the season. They have similar sentiments about the options, luxury and mobility of the 5'ers over destination/park models.

I agree on the "round the USA" traveling. 6 years Navy and plenty of MN to east coast trips (just did a 1500 mi. each way last month) have shown me that everywhere seems mostly the same, but there is still no place like home, or at least nearby. I don't mind 2-3 hour trips to a campground, at least you know you can rush home in short time if needed.

I can also agree on the Champlin boom. We got lucky on a beautiful house in a short sale (paid almost half of the assessed value), but housing is popping up in the 3-500k range all around us. Hope that is a good sign!

Anyways, wherever you park your palace, may the sun shine bright and the drinks stay full and cool!
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #6

I am looking for a good seasonal park. Where is a good one in Minnesota?
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierce617 View Post
I am looking for a good seasonal park. Where is a good one in Minnesota?
Check these websites out:
www.woodalls.com
www.campgroundreviews.com

Ask the question to park owner about their desire to change from annual/seasonal rental to land use rights onwership. Ownership means you pay 20-60 grand and then you own the land your RV is on. Well the way I understand it, you own rights to use the land. RV park is Cokato has moved recently to this. A lot of parks in Alexandria are going this way too. IF you like the regular seasonal rental gig, the ownership rights cost probably isn't going to be for you.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Camper Less Camping

Great looking unit! Happy Camping

Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #9

Very nice looking rig. Thank you for the links. We have already checked out and stayed at Cokato Lake Campground we love it there but just can not bring ourselves to buy some property that we do not really own. We will keep looking.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Trailer Trash

Cokato is overgrown with trees, skinny roads, tight turns, etc. No way I could even get my rig into the check in area - I went with just the dually truck 1st. SKIP this one unless you have a medium to small rig. Mine is 38' long and with the truck I am 60' long. The parks close to the twin cities (say 50 mile radius) have a waiting list to get seasonal. I'm 80 miles out by Milaca Mora area.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #11

Have you checked Pete's in Malmo? I have never been there but saw it on the internet. I also know that Isle south campground is nice.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #12

joelek-hello and welcome to the forum from another Minnesotan. This forum is always useful and always entertaining. If you have any questions you can probably find an answer here. Welcome!
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierce617 View Post
Have you checked Pete's in Malmo? I have never been there but saw it on the internet. I also know that Isle south campground is nice.
Drove by Petes did not check them out however. Lots of good ones in MN! Just have to look them up on the web and drive to the ones you get a good gut feeling towards.

Again, I like using RV Park Reviews :: Home
Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #14

Hey there

to the forums

And congrats on your new Columbus 320RS
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote