Old 06-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

I have friends (who also have family members) who bought from RV Wholesalers sight-unseen. They had the camper delivered to their door.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #12

sounds to me in your situation you are stuck with a local dealer... not being able to transport it, how will you ever get any warranty repairs done? Can a warranty repair be done through a mobile repair shop?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #13

Holman's says an extended warranty would give us mobile repair. I don't know if I can trust what they say.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingInBama View Post
We're at a disadvantage because we don't have a pick-up truck. We are putting it in a park and planning to have the dealer deliver it for us.
You still have a vehicle you can drive to the dealer and make him go thru every single item on the camper just like you were living in it. You are just asking for BIG trouble. After you do that, I would insist in writing that you will duplicate the inspection before accepting it when delivered also.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
sounds to me in your situation you are stuck with a local dealer... not being able to transport it, how will you ever get any warranty repairs done? Can a warranty repair be done through a mobile repair shop?
Forest River's warranty will cover mobile RV techs- but often times you are on the hook for the site visit/service fee. Depending on the situation, they'll sometimes cover it all (but I assume that's rare).
Old 06-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #16

have them email the extended warranty paper work to you if that is your question...
Ohio sales tax is waved and collected where you title in your state.

at least Holman is a family run business and not a corporate entity like Camping World... they have a fairly large outfit. Can you speak with a Holman like dap (above) suggests? Give him a chance to grease the wheels and personally get involved of this purchase.

Is there something specific that you are questioning or is it just generally the whole out of state thing?

I think that trailers have problems whether they sit on a lot or come direct from the factory. Why not drive up, check it out, maybe camp overnight in their lot in the trailer, and have them deliver it after you accept and sign the paperwork.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Forest River's warranty will cover mobile RV techs- but often times you are on the hook for the site visit/service fee. Depending on the situation, they'll sometimes cover it all (but I assume that's rare).
This statement has me confused can you explain FR covering a mobile tech but you have to pay the service fee makes no sense. Sounds like no warranty to me if the don't pay the tech labor.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

I might give them a sizeable deposit after visiting it at the dealer, but would not sign or pay it off until it was delivered and inspected again.

You pay for it sight unseen, the delivery person sideswipes a utility pole and you now have a worthless, ugly lawn ornament.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #19

Some more food for thought, maybe the dealer could do a virtual tour live while you're on the phone/internet (ie. Skype). That way you could ask them to "look under the mattress" etc. Maybe some comments here on what to look for in your virtual tour for problems.

I know, when I bought a 2010 (in 2009) out of state, the dealer would not let me borrow dealer plates to bring it home, which meant it had to be paid for in advance so I could register it in my state to have plates to go get it.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #20
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
This statement has me confused can you explain FR covering a mobile tech but you have to pay the service fee makes no sense. Sounds like no warranty to me if the don't pay the tech labor.
Sorry, I didn't explain well. There are multiple fees when you have a mobile RV tech come do work for you:

1) The service visit fee
2) The labor for any work performed
3) The cost of materials used

When it comes to a mobile RV tech visiting you, I've often heard it told that they'll cover the labor (#2) + cost of materials (#3), but the cost of the service visit itself (#1) is on you.