Old 06-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #1

Question Anyone purchased out of state & unseen?

Hi, My husband and I are upgrading to our first fifth-wheel. We thought we had a good deal at our local Camping World dealership, but have found a model one year older (new) at Holman RV in Ohio. Ours was going to come from the factory (allegedly) and the Ohio unit is on their lot. Any comments or warnings would be greatly appreciated. The savings could be over $8K if we can trust what Holman's is saying.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #2

How are you going to do a PDI if not seeing it. Dealers will tell you anything to get you to buy it. Drive up and look at it then tow it home if it's what your expecting it to be. Inspect the roof also and caulking joints. Test slides in and out, look it over good for issues. Easier to get those fixed before you sign papers after signing it will take awhile waiting on repairs to be made under warranty. All the while your paying for something you can't use because it's in the shop waiting on parts. Some how they fix them quick if you haven't signed on dotted line yet because of warranty work. LOL

435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
dap

I live a few miles from Holman and have bought four trailers from them.
They are a big outfit and sell trailers all over the country.
If Eric Holman okays the deal it should be okay.
Just remember be careful of all salespeople.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #4

They SAY that they send us a CD, but you're right! Holman's made it sound like people do it "all the time" but it sounds risky to us. Thanks
Old 06-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #5

I know Alabama is a long state, but Birmingham is only about an 8 hour drive (not counting traffic backups) to Holman RV near Cincinnati. I have never dealt with Holman personally, and I have heard good and bad about them, as I think you would with all dealerships. Saving $8K might be worth a 2 to 4 day round trip to check it out and maybe drive it away. They have a large service facility and should be able to work with you with quick necessary repairs, especially if you do not show up on a weekend. It would all depend on their responsiveness once you got to the dealership. Prepare yourself by finding another unit to walk through at a closer location and note everything that you may question. You might even schedule a night or two at a local campground near Holman... like East Fork or Rocky Fork State parks.

With all of the bad-mouthing of Camping World's I see on this forum, I would be afraid to do business with them, but again, each dealership has it's own personality.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #6

Would you buy a car or a stick-n-brick house without seeing them?

No way no how!
Old 06-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

We're at a disadvantage because we don't have a pick-up truck. We are putting it in a park and planning to have the dealer deliver it for us.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #8

I've purchased out of state 3 times ... no issue there due to savings on purchase greatly overshadows having to tow it to the dealer a time or two for warranty issues. Purchasing it sight unseen throws up a BIG RED FLAG to me. Talk about asking for trouble ...... guaranty you wll find issues with the unit. Those issues will be taken care of way quicker and better before money changes hands.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #9

Not having a TV for the trailer is moot.
Buying it unseen is risky at best.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
clr

I live in Illinois and purchased my last two 5th wheels in Missouri. I was worried about sales tax and such, in Missouri they wave sales tax for out of state purchases and then you have to pay the tax to your home state (Illinois) in my case. I would check Ohio and your home state rules here, I am sure the dealer would be able to help you here but you have to ask. Of course the out of state sales tax is not part of the funding deal if you are getting a loan, so you would have to come up with the sales tax on your own. If worked OK for me but if it was the other way around Illinois will not wave the sales tax for out of state purchases.