Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #1

Are my trailer brakes working?

Hey all,

We are new to the RV life this year but so far, we love it. My truck does not have any auxillary brakes for a trailer. So, do the brakes on the trailer even work or do I need to do something special on my truck to have them be functional?
ttamnotrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #2

Let's start with some more information
What truck, trailer, type of pigtail connector...
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #3

Ah, yes, should've included that. Trailer: 2018 Rockwood 232esp. Truck: 2005 toyota tundra double cab. The pigtail I'm not too sure about. It is a standard 3 prong that was pre wired.
ttamnotrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttamnotrub View Post
Hey all,

We are new to the RV life this year but so far, we love it. My truck does not have any auxillary brakes for a trailer. So, do the brakes on the trailer even work or do I need to do something special on my truck to have them be functional?
Trying to explain how to set up brake equipment on a trailer and tow vehicle could be pretty lengthy. I would suggest going to an RV Dealer or RV Repair shop and having an expert look at what you have and give you a quote on what is needed to set up your rig properly.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #5

It's a popup so likely to have surge brakes, but you'll need to tell us more or attach a picture of the tongue.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #6

15+ years ago I had a Coleman popup.....and it had electric OEM brakes.

Doing some searches on 232 ESP, I see one site that shows it having electric brakes.

If you can provide us pictures of your trailer hitch and the trailer wiring connection, we can provide a definite answer to your question.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #7

Three prong

Won't swear to it, but that pop-up may not have electric brakes with a three prong pigtail. Mine had mechanical brakes.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #8

Specs says it has electric brakes.
OP should have a 7 pin round plug near the trailer tongue.
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...232esp-tr35083
Old 12-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #9

Pretty simple. For electric.

You need a controller on the truck dash. A 7 point harness, not 3 at the rear.

You need a 7 point harness on the trailer.

A surge brake has a brake fluid reservoir on the ball hitch. 3 or 4 wire harness.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #10

It sounds like an '05 Tundra is not pre-wired for a brake controller.
OP will need to install something like this along with a brake controller. like a Tekonsha P3.
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/C57186.html
Old 12-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #11

Check out this link, which says the 2005 Tundra is pre-wired for a controller.

It also has a description of the pre-wire with a picture and other helpful information.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-38414.html
Old 12-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #12

Brakes

We haul a 2012 FR T12DDST and it does have electric brakes. We bought the Tekonsa Prodigy 2 and my reasoning is that I want the trailer (TT) to brake a little before the TV (tow vehicle) or it could push you into a skid in wet or snowy weather. I know up in CO it is required to have traction devices but my grandsons and granddaughter near Hill AFB, UT have them and have needed them. The Prodigy 2 has adjustable braking and it is awesome. Go to Youtube.com and watch a couple videos. I would not be without one as in a skid it can actually straighten your vehicle out.
chuckyb9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #13

What is the weight of your pop-up?
If you know what state was it originally delivered to. The reason I am asking is I had a pop-up. The dealership in VT ordered it without any brakes. Trailer weighed 1495lbs. VT law says only trailers over 1500lbs need breaks. That was several years ago laws could have changed.
I live in NYS whose law is any trailer over 1000lbs. The manufacturers sales rep had the dealership put new axle with electric brakes. The manufacturer paid the expense. The dealership then installed a brake controller on our TV.
I highly recommend having brakes on the trailer to help prevent fish tailing in certain situations.
Good luck!!

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyb9876 View Post
We haul a 2012 FR T12DDST and it does have electric brakes. We bought the Tekonsa Prodigy 2 and my reasoning is that I want the trailer (TT) to brake a little before the TV (tow vehicle) or it could push you into a skid in wet or snowy weather. I know up in CO it is required to have traction devices but my grandsons and granddaughter near Hill AFB, UT have them and have needed them. The Prodigy 2 has adjustable braking and it is awesome. Go to Youtube.com and watch a couple videos. I would not be without one as in a skid it can actually straighten your vehicle out.
I've had different brake controllers with my previous 2 pop-ups and A-Frame. I got tired of being jerked at low speed and/or having inadequate braking at highway speed.

Finally broke down and bought a Prodigy 2 - cheaper than a Prodigy 3 because of the less elaborate display. What a difference! I set it up to where the camper brakes the same as the tow vehicle - I can't feel the camper push or pull my minivan. No more jerking. I love it.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Nov, Chatfield State Park (near Denver, CO)
next trip: S Llano R State Park, TX
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
What is the weight of your pop-up?
If you know what state was it originally delivered to. The reason I am asking is I had a pop-up. The dealership in VT ordered it without any brakes. Trailer weighed 1495lbs. VT law says only trailers over 1500lbs need breaks. That was several years ago laws could have changed.
I live in NYS whose law is any trailer over 1000lbs. The manufacturers sales rep had the dealership put new axle with electric brakes. The manufacturer paid the expense. The dealership then installed a brake controller on our TV.
I highly recommend having brakes on the trailer to help prevent fish tailing in certain situations.
Good luck!!
The OP's popup has a GVWR of 3844lbs, so it certainly has electric brakes. It's a heavy popup toyhauler. Its fictional dry weight is 2933lbs.
The OP is going to need a brake controller.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #16

Brakes

If you decide you need a brake controller, there is a Toyota wire kit that plugs into the back of the Prodigy unit. I got the one for my Tundra from E-Trailer. It plugged into the fuse box under the dash. They also had a plug in connector that converted the wiring to a 7 wire plug, no wire splicing. You just disconnect the TV wiring and plug the adaptor in.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, trailer