Old 03-21-2016, 01:04 AM   #1

Back End Overhang: Is It An Issue?

Hello! I'm a new Forum addition. :-)

I'm considering purchasing a 2014 Forest River Lexingtone GTS 29. A lot of online reviews I see about specific RV models are several years old and outdated, so Iím hoping for current information.

This would be a first RV for me and I plan to do a lot of driving in it. I know Forest River is a very respected manufacturer, but both the 26-foot and the 31-foot models seem to have frighteningly long overhangs past the rear tires. It makes them look like they could drag on uneven or bumpy roads! For those of you who own and drive them, can you comment on this? Do they feel stable when driving, especially on roads where the rear end might bounce?

Thanks for any and all input. This will be a big investment and I want to choose the right model.

Kip Kirby
Nashville, TN

Old 03-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #2

Welcome to the FRF! I'm sure you will get some helpful feedback from users with similar concerns.

flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Kirby View Post

both the 26-foot and the 31-foot models seem to have frighteningly long overhangs past the rear tires. It makes them look like they could drag on uneven or bumpy roads!
Kip,

Welcome to the FR Forums. I'm fairly new here to, but certainly not to RV forums.

I don't have a motorhome, but have a 5er with a major rear overhang. (pic) The trailer is 42.5 ft long and there is over 15 ft behind the axles.

I have more behind the wheels on this trailer than my entire first trailer was long. I have a pretty good dip into my driveway and I had my DS watch when I went in and out. My second trailer was only 33ft and it came closer to dragging than this one because it sat lower.

I Googled a pic of the Lexingtons. They do have a pretty good overhang, but I think you are probably ok with most dips in the road. My problem is the tail swinging way wide going around corners. I have come pretty close to clipping poles or signs on corners when I have had to turn tight.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Kirby View Post

I'm considering purchasing a 2014 Forest River Lexingtone GTS 29. A lot of online reviews I see about specific RV models are several years old and outdated, so Iím hoping for current information.

This would be a first RV for me and I plan to do a lot of driving in it. I know Forest River is a very respected manufacturer, but both the 26-foot and the 31-foot models seem to have frighteningly long overhangs past the rear tires. It makes them look like they could drag on uneven or bumpy roads! For those of you who own and drive them, can you comment on this? Do they feel stable when driving, especially on roads where the rear end might bounce?

Thanks for any and all input. This will be a big investment and I want to choose the right model.

Kip Kirby
Nashville, TN
Welcome to the forums!

It can be an issue, but typically it is only in certain situations, like extremely steep driveways or very tight turns. In general driving it is not a problem. Pay attention and you should be fine. My Concord has a pretty long overhang and I am sure it will drag sooner or later. But I try to anticipate problem areas and deal with them as it comes along. The factory does put some steel angles back there that will drag first, they act more like an indicator to let you know that you have done it. FWIW my little short Coleman would drag on some extremely steep drives too.

Aaron

IMG_20160219_125829371 by wahooncx, on Flickr

IMG_20150528_092044679 by wahooncx, on Flickr

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote