Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #1

Big Newbie

Bought my 1st camping trailer 07/27/12. Wanted one for years and retired 2 1/2 years ago so I took the plunge. Live in Oklahoma so if you watch the national weather you know how hot it is here. Can't wait for some cool weather to go on a test run to a lake for a few days to camp and fish (Crappie). Love winter fishing in Oklahoma. Any suggestions for a first time out I'd love to hear about them. Bought a 2013 Salem Cruise Lite 251RL from Daves RV in Claremore . They are the greatest people I've ever met.
Grandpa46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome !!!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #3

Hey there,

to the forums

We're also new to RVing, this is our first TT, we bought it on 6/30/12, took delivery on 7/19/12. Camped one night on way back home, planning to camp some more.

Corky the salesman at Family RV in Pomona, his advice is: take it out to places to camp that are short distances to home. Basically get a little practice using the RV under the belt. After that, long trips become easier, like you already acquired the things you would want to take with you to go camping.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

Congrat's on the new purchase, and welcome to the site. There is alot to learn here, and great examples to go by. Let us know how your adventures are going.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

Congrats and welcome to camping you will have so much fun. I 2nd Night, take your camper close to home you will need things from home. The go a little further to a site a few hours away. We are in FL and there are some great county parks that we use and just a little further State Parks. Also go to parking lots and practice practice practice, backing, stopping and just moving around. Get a set of walkie talkies so that you have communication when backing. There are some wonderful posts on this site and some great people. On every subject from backing to hooking your rig up to what to grill at night. Welcome aboard. Good luck and have fun!!!
sor126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Site Team

to the FR forums! My previous "Welcome" post to you seems to be MIA. And congrats on your Cruise Lite too. Having a good relationship with your dealer & service department can be valuable and it sounds like you are off to a good start.

Terier

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #7

Congratulations on your new rig!! Many happy trips to come!

One of our favorite places in OK is Beavers Bend just north of Broken Bow, southeast corner of OK. Last time we were there, we were camped alonside a slew and got to watch the deer come down from the mountain for a drink, squirrels chasing each other and one falling into the slew, as well as just great camping. Very nicely shaded area. This was on the south end. There's great hiking trails and trout fishing there.

Again, congrats!!
Useta have a 17 ft Casita LD twin bed mod &
Coleman pop up
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote