Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #1

Black water overflow

I am new to RV.... I filled my black water as I was told to fill it before dumping . I filled it and noticed there was water leaking under my RV. The water appeared to be clear with no odor. After dumping the black water I have not noticed any more leaking. Is there an overflow? Why did water leak from the bottom when I filled the black water? I have a 2010 forest river travel trailer. Any helpful advise is appreciated as I am very new to this and not mechchanilly inclined. Thank you
violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet View Post
Is there an overflow? Why did water leak from the bottom when I filled the black water? I have a 2010 forest river travel trailer. Any helpful advise is appreciated as I am very new to this and not mechanically inclined. Thank you
You should have a vent for the BWT on the roof of the TT. Some unfortunate folks have discovered that the vent will also act as a nasty (smelly) overflow under certain conditions. It was never intended for that purpose. If your leak is indeed coming from the BWT, then I would suspect some compromised plumping or perhaps one of the level sensors leaking. You'll need to expose as much of the BWT as possible, fill it with H2O, and start searching with a good light source for the water's point of exit.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #3

Thank you for your help. I know some of my questions my seem really lame but I have never been in a travel travel and suddenly I am living in one due to job relocation. I will try filling it up and getting under the trailer with a flash light to see if I can see where the water is coming from. I have a thermostat on the wall however It does not seem to do anything. A ac is mounted on the roof. So my question is since I purchased this used did the central air go out and the second ceiling mounted unit is a replacement? is there usually both sources of air or did mine get a cheaper replacement. The pump button seems do nothing.... I am assuming it it broke! Should the pump still come on if the trailer is hooked up to a outside water source? It is only a 2010 so sort of surprised to find some many things out of order of they are actually out of order.
violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you for your help. I know some of my questions my seem really lame but I have never been in a travel travel and suddenly I am living in one due to job relocation. I will try filling it up and getting under the trailer with a flash light to see if I can see where the water is coming from. I have a thermostat on the wall however It does not seem to do anything. A ac is mounted on the roof. So my question is since I purchased this used did the central air go out and the second ceiling mounted unit is a replacement? is there usually both sources of air or did mine get a cheaper replacement. The pump button seems do nothing.... I am assuming it it broke! Should the pump still come on if the trailer is hooked up to a outside water source? It is only a 2010 so sort of surprised to find some many things out of order of they are actually out of order.
1. You said you filled your black tank before dumping. How did you fill it? How did you know it was full? ONCE I overfilled my black tank from the dump valve using a Flush King. In that case, clear-looking water dripped from several openings in the underbody cover. It leaked between the bottom of the toilet and the top of the black tank.

2. There is no central A/C in a normal/standard travel trailer. They almost all have 1, 2 or 3 roof mounted A/C units.

3. Pump switch turns ON/OFF the 12 volt pump which takes water from the fresh water tank and pressurizes the trailer's fresh water pipes. It only runs UNTIL the lines are pressurized. If they are already pressurized (including if you are hooked to an outside water source), the pump does nothing.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
violet, first of all welcome to the forum, if you tell us the model of your trailer those with th e same unit will chime in to help. Next be it known pretty much everyone that gets a TT for the first time has to ask a lot of questions of someone so think nothing of it that you are asking.

Ok, hope you find the leak I would partially fill the tank and look then fill fuller then again until full, this can give you an idea of possible leak(s) on the tank that may be out line of site.

Many TT's have 2 AC units, sometimes the controls are a bit confusing again the TT model number can help us understand and help. Is there 2 AC controllers (thermostat unit)? many have this but some TT's now have a single controller for both units, the AC units require 110v power from a plug in source located on the outside of the TT (with 2 AC's this will need whats called 50 amp service - 4 prongs on plug, TT's with only one AC will only need 30 amp service - 3 prongs on plug). If you are parked at a site that only has 30 amp service and your TT has a 50 amp plug you will need a 30 to 50 amp adapter (called a dogbone), if you connect a 50 amp to a 30 amp supply you will only be able to run 1 AC at a time or you will overload and trip a breaker.

The water pump is not needed when you are hooked up to city or camp ground water, does a light come on when you turn on the pump? The first thing I would do is turn off the city water valve, turn on the pump and open a sink fauset allow it to run and if you loose the flow you have a pump issue (check the fuse first, the pump is powered by the coach batteries). When on city water and with the pump switch on the pump will run if the TT water pressure gets low enough at that time you will be getting water from both sources.

I hope this info helps you, again model name and numbers, are you at a site with full hook ups etc will get you more help from people with similar units. Forrest River make many different travel trailers and motor homes and their operations differ quite a bit from one another.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

Violet, post your questioms to the sub-forum for your particular problem or trailer. You will get more responses. This is the welcome forum
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #7

Quote:
I have only had a couple TT's but this is how it is on My particular unit.. a 2006 Rockwood 8272S.

1. pump button should work when there is water in the tank and you are NOT hooked up to city water, it builds up pressure and shuts off until the valves are opened.. when I am hooked up to city water, the pressure from the city water keeps my pump from coming on.. as soon as I shut it off, the pump comes on..
2. unless yours is different than mine, the AC on your roof is your "central air" and usually, again, unless yours is different than mine, comes out of vents on the roof.. the vents on the floor are for the heat/furnace..

good luck with your blackwater tank issue.. I know that can stink.. lol
Bevsway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, water