Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

Boondocking

We are new to this forum. We just got our Rockwood A frame a few months ago and we love it so far. I was wondering if anyone out there has boondocked anyplace other than a Walmart. We are taking a trip from Ohio to Myrtle Beach in September.
dixons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixons View Post
We are new to this forum. We just got our Rockwood A frame a few months ago and we love it so far. I was wondering if anyone out there has boondocked anyplace other than a Walmart. We are taking a trip from Ohio to Myrtle Beach in September.
Well, my guess is that most people wouldn't consider Walmart boondocking. I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking about free places to stay between Ohio and Myrtle Beach? or?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

I guess I mean dry camping just for a night. Like when you are driving down the highway and want to stop for the night and you are in an unfamiliar State. I have seen people stop for the night and stay in a Walmart parking lot, but are there other options that you know of when you don't know what the area has to offer?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #4

I came up through Ohio a few months ago and just stayed in Highway rest stops

07 Chev 1500 LTZ 5.3
popik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Site Team

we usually stop overnite in highway rest areas. other times, we look to see where truckers park overnite, other than a truck stop. but i wouldn't have any problems staying at a Pilot, Love's or Flying J truck stop.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #6

We stay overnight at a Camping World in southern NJ, just before the Delaware Memorial Bridge. It's a perfect distance for us, for an evening drive if we leave home after work, we go in and "shop" before we leave in the morning, and there is a FlyingJ just a few miles further, where we get breakfast and fuel just before leaving NJ (less expensive fuel in NJ). We did an overnight there in late June, and I knew of about $20 worth of "things" I needed from CW.... I did well.... I got out the door for slightly less than $200......

This particular CW is out of your travel path, but you should see if there are any others along your route. Most Cabela's and Cracker Barrel's also have parking for RV's and allow overnight stay.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by popik View Post
I came up through Ohio a few months ago and just stayed in Highway rest stops
Depends on the state. Some states do not allow overnights in the rest stops. One would have to check that out in advance.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Depends on the state. Some states do not allow overnights in the rest stops. One would have to check that out in advance.
Bob beat me to it. Many states prohibit overnight stops in rest areas and FL prohibits overnight roadside RV parking withing 20 feet of any right of way.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Walmart's around here seem to be limited by local ordinance so I've never tried.

Because of the kids, we usually look for city, county or state parks. Usually something close to the interstate and have rarely had problems with getting a spot for a night; even though its listed as full on the website.

We've also stayed at a Cabelas, but that won't help you so much as they are more Midwest and Western US.

I've heard of people staying at some of these places: Cracker barrel, churches, fairgrounds and VFW.

I should also add that we've stayed at rest stops for a few hours of shut-eye while turtled-up, but never the whole night. Not sure where to check for that. Our DOT doesn't seem to make that info too clear.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #10

Most rest stops that I have stopped at are posted 8 hour maximum stay, if you can pull off for 6 hours or so, you should be ok.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #11

Sam's Club, Walmart, Home Depot, 24 hr fast food in large lots, truck stop diesel stations, large shopping center lots, and many more. do it all the time. see others do it as well.
i stay mostly in Sam's lots for 7-10 days at a time. some truck noise throughout the night, but otherwise has been safe.

even though there is an "official" no-overnite-stay ordinance in just about every jurisdiction of the country...i have not yet been approached by anyone.

my challenge isnt where to stay, but rather finding places to dump and get water for a few dollars or less.

i use this site all the time...
United States of America RV Dump Stations
and i try to call first to confirm availability.
avocadoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #12

We traveled from the midwest to nevada, then down thru vegas and back to the midwest via a southern route, we always stayed overnight in Flying-J truckstops, you dont even have to pull where the trucks are, all the ones we found, had large parking spots near the restaurants so it was quiet, we just asked in side where a good place to park was and looked for a tree'd area to block some of the big over head lights, it worked out great for us and then was able to get gas, propane, and breakfast the next morning or dinner the night before.
mrbs9271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadoman1 View Post
i stay mostly in Sam's lots for 7-10 days at a time.
Doesn't sound like a vacation to me
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #14

thanks!

We would like to thank all that responded to our question about boondocking. It did help us out!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
Doesn't sound like a vacation to me
who said anything about vacation?

i work out of my TT for 7-10 days at a time because it's cheaper than commuting 200-500 miles/day to/from the job location.

my vacation is sleeping at my home on the water, but i prefer the reduced stress of zero commute time so i stay in my TT for my work.

sometimes my wife comes along, other times she stays home.

never-the-less...there are plenty of places to stay for free where you won't get hassled.
avocadoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote