Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #1

Brand new 2011 Rockwood Roo 233S

Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 2011 Rockwood Roo 233S and have only seen the actual TT in pictures. Let me clarify, I first saw this model hybrid at the Dulles Expo camper show about a month ago and my wife and kids fell in love with the design. I down played the camper and explained we could not afford a new camper. The kids accepted my explanation although a little disappointed. As a surprise for the family I bought one but it doesn't get delivered until March 12, 2011 and I am terrible at keeping secrets.
We currently have a Starcraft Starmaster 21’ (No A/C, No Heat, No Toilet) PUP and have survived the annual trips to the state parks in the late spring but never used it during the summer or winter due to heat/humidity and cold. I guess it was a little crowded with two adults, three kids, two dogs plus everything that goes with. Sorry to say goodbye to the PUP but I’m sure the sorrow will be short lived.
PUP goes up for sale as soon as the Roo arrives and I am looking forward to enjoying the summer at campgrounds everywhere and some trips to the mountains in the fall.
I sure could use suggestions on what things to get for the camper to make life a little more enjoyable for me, my wife, three daughters (tweenagers) and two dogs. Cats, fish and hermit crabs are staying home.
It has been fun posting for the first time. Thanks in advance for any help guiding us on this new and exciting adventure.

V/r,

Dave
drs244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #2

welcome to the forum - what vehicle are you towing the Roo with?
- you can purchase Toilet paper, Tank Sanitizer, Bed Linen's, Towels, pillows, Pots and pans and dishes before it arrives if you dont already have that stuff -
wouldnt purchase much more then that till it arrives
- your power cables and water hoses willl most likely be the same as what the PUP had - you may need to purchase some power converter's but wouldnt go crazy till after you get out and use it - you will know some of the stuff you will need after you get out in it

- You will probably want to purchase a Hitch with weight distribution and sway control unless you can get a better deal at the RV place you are buying the Roo from
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #3

Sherdep,

Thanks for the advice on supplies. I'll be towing with a 2006 Toyota Sequoia, V8 and the dealer sold me a E2 WD hitch. I can't think of the brand at the moment.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Congrats on joining the "Roo Kroo!"

be sure to post future questions and pics in the Expandable section, here at FRF. there's even a Roo sub-section.

seems like i've been seeing more and more new 233S owners than any other new hybrid. and they've been out for a couple of years.
i guess they are finally catching on.

there are certain mods for hybrids, that will enhance your enjoyment.
PUGs/solar blankets and Reflectix are some of them.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #5

Congratulations!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #6

bikendan and Glen5995,

Thanks for the welcome and for the suggestion on the the solar blankets. I'll head over to the Roo section after this.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #7

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Welcome..........Im sure your going to enjoy it !! We almost bought that model but went for the Rockwood Windjammer 3065, alot more money..sometime's wish Id have just gone with the Roo !! Anyway Enjoy! This is a great forum of owners that are very helpfull with any question no matter how small !! They have been very helpfull to me !! I just like trolling through questions and answers.....learning all the way !! So Enjoy the new camper ...the PUP will be forgotten as soon as the new one arrives !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #8

Thanks Bigred. I've had fun so far spending in my mind.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
CampeRooo

Hi Dave,

Since you mentioned that you haven't had the three luxuries (No A/C, No Heat, No Toilet) before...here are a few things that came to my mind that might be something you'll want to look more into before your first trip.

A/C - Consider buying an A/C cover to put on it over long storage periods. Not only will it will help keep out the mud daubers, but also anything that could blow into it and build up during the off periods....leaves are a big one. ADCO and Classic Accessories both carry something along that line. I went one step further and bought the tire covers made by ADCO so that the tires won't rot in the summer sun while parked on the side of my garage. A fin & coil shield might be worth while if you park under low lying trees...just in case. I don't have one of these yet, but one of these day's i'll get to it.

Heater - My first thought was the amount of battery power this could eat up during extended dry camping/boondocking. It might be worth it to think about the dual 6V battery conversion if you've ever wanted to do it. OR Honda/Yamaha generator time.....

Toilet - I have this forum and the people i've talked with to thank for all the advice on this subject. I don't know what kind of quality the stock sewer hose would be these days, but the one in my 2k is considered the emergency hose...if I have no other choice, I'll use it. Otherwise, I have a heavy duty sewer hose that is much thicker and doesn't leak. I am also one of the people who have mounted a square vinyl fence post under the frame for carrying this hose and it's accessories outside of my slide storage. Don't forget to pick up some disposable rubber gloves and some sani-wipes...it's just good hygiene practice...nobody needs to get sick from this. There are also lots of chemicals and detergents available for your black tank and toilet and everyone will have their choice of what to use. As for me, I use a combination of Unique Digest-It and a drop in packet that effervesces when it hits water....which cleans the bowl and when flushed down, works along with the Unique Digest-It. Another item worth mentioning would be a tank rinsing system if it didn't already come with one. For example. you'll find many threads on the camco tornado rotary tank rinse system. With the amount of T.P. that could be going through the tank, it might be worth while to get it installed now instead of later (tanks are still sparkling clean) and your rv service guy will thank you. . Search the forum on keeping your black tank in good shape, this will be one of the first sources for losing the enjoyment of camping in your TT if not maintained properly.

I hope this helps.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #10

rthrbelsewhere,

I appreciate the advice since I know nothing about maintaining a TT. I'm learning a lot from everyone and just searching around FRF has been very enjoyable. I think I will get a tornado cleaner for the black tank. With four women in the camper we go through a lot of TP.

Dave
Old 02-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #11

What kind of generator would I need to run the A/C or furnace?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs244 View Post
What kind of generator would I need to run the A/C or furnace?
first, the furnace doesn't need a generator nor shore power to run. it uses 12v battery power. you will need a generator or shore power to re-charge the battery.
furnaces are the main battery drain on a trailer. one nite of constant furnace usage will completely drain one battery.
that's why most of us that dry camp, go with a two battery setup.

second, the a/c will require a generator or shore power to run.
the general consensus is that something like the Yamaha 2400, would be the minimum needed for a Dometic 13.5 a/c.
and if you camp at altitude, you need more power to run the a/c.
i've been able to run my Roo's Dometic a/c, with my Honda 2000. but this is rare.
you can find other Chinese-made inverter generators, that have 2800w and above for under $900.
inverter generators are much quieter than cheaper open-framed contractor generators. most have decibel ratings between 53db-64db.

IMHO, the best setup is two Honda/Yamaha/Champion 2000w inverter generators.
all 3 brands have the ability to be paralleled with a matching pair, for 4000w, if needed for a/c.
if a/c isn't needed, you only need to take one to run everything else. they weigh about 50lbs. each.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #13

Awesome, good advise.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs244 View Post
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 2011 Rockwood Roo 233S and have only seen the actual TT in pictures. Let me clarify, I first saw this model hybrid at the Dulles Expo camper show about a month ago and my wife and kids fell in love with the design. I down played the camper and explained we could not afford a new camper. The kids accepted my explanation although a little disappointed. As a surprise for the family I bought one but it doesn't get delivered until March 12, 2011 and I am terrible at keeping secrets.
Congratulations Dave! I think you'll love it. I ordered my 233S (Shamrock, which is the same as the Roo but with different interior colors) last Oct and I picked it up 2 weeks ago. Like you, I had only seen one briefly before ordering it. I have NO regrets. Very pleased with the initial appearance and the 2 hour walk through (bought from a local dealer). We have 4 young boys and love the tenting experience, but I'm so sick of putting up tents and especially blowing up all those mattresses. I can't wait for Spring (40 degrees out today...)

Sounds like you've got a solid TV and WDH. I'd presume you have a brake controller, but if not the Prodigy seems popular. I also bought a pair of Rotochoks for added stability. I'm planning on converting to a 2 battery setup once it warms up a little more. For security I bought a Reese Coupler lock, and dug out two old bike locks for the propane tanks.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy. Post pictures when you get it!
DocWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #15

DocWisconsin,

Thanks for chiming in and sharing the pictures of your Shamrock. I like your color choice, my wife wanted those light patters as well but none of the dealers around our home had any Shamrocks available. We ended up buying the Roo the dealer had available because he offered us a price we couldn't say no to. The picture of your TT w/ TV make the camper look huge. When mine finally arrives and I hook it up I'll look like a tick going down the road (huge body with small head). Hope your weather warms up soon so you can enjoy he great outdoors with the boys.

Dave
Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #16

Our TV isn't small, but you're right the 233S does look big especially at that angle. It wasn't difficult to tow though and for the space you get, the TT weight is outstanding.

Congratulations again.
DocWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #17

Welcome to the forums and welcome to yet another member of "The Roo Kroo!" We own an 08 23SS, only two beds. LOVE IT!

It will take you several times going out in it to get things situated as to what more/less you will need and where to store it. We bought this one the end of May last year and I'm still moving stuff!

One of the first things that I bought for ours were the PUGS. At first wasn't sure if I had done a wise thing. OH YEAH I DID! I never fail to use them. Love them. Helps out a lot. And keeps canvas clean.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #18

What a piece of junk that 233S is ....

Seriously, welcome and enjoy your new Roo when it arrives. We ordered ours (233S) last month and are looking forward to getting it soon! We loved the layout on it alot too and it had as much room as our RVision 30 footer! We are going to pick up those pop-upgizomos bunk end thermal sheilds and I am interested in the modification bikendan did with his roo where he insulated his bunk end pieces to reduce condensation in colder weather camping.

What interior color package did you choose? We orderd our with cherry cabinets and vineyard. The upgrades we added were heated waste tanks, oven, the outside grill and spare tire. Our middle kid, who is 12 is also disabled and we will be adding one of those larger fold down handles on the door which will give him sort of a handrail he can use when getting in and out of the trailer.

Weclome to the forum...
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #19

Hi drs244!

We bought our Roos 233S @ the Dulles Expo show too! Chances are you sat in our camper when you were at the show. We take possession on the 21st. We're total newbies - have camped only in a borrowed PUP before buying this one. We've been avidly watching and reading posts on this forum - it's been a great resource so far.

Unlike you, we don't have the "many females" issue. In our household of five humans and one big dog I am the lone female! My boys are little - a 5-year old and twin 4-year olds. They are super excited to get the camper and take trips. We surprised them at the show and they were thrilled, until they realized that we weren't hooking up and driving it away at that very moment. We're also going to be towing with a Sequoia.

Enjoy!
Manassas, VA
2011 camping days booked - 18 and counting
allards5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #20

Allards, (Chris), I am curious if you bought this at the RV show, why is it taking you guys this extra time to take delivery? The previous two campers we bouhgt, we went in there, picked it out on the lot, got the finanacing and drove off....just kind of curious.

Also, what interior did you guys choose? I was told by Tropical RV we might have the Roo by the end of the month or the first week of March and we ordered it Jan 16.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s