Old 05-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Brand New RVer

Hello all,

I'm about to retire and will be traveling to Florida next week to pick up my very first RV, a 2012 Solera, and will then drive it back to Colorado. I hope to be able to get a lot of VERY basic questions answered - and I don't mind if you laugh at my questions:-) Here's one to start so you can get an idea of how basic they are - If I fill my water tank(s) and then connect to water at an RV site, does anything bad happen? Should I be empty when connecting? Connecting to a water source doesn't fill the tanks, does it?

I have so much to learn, but I'm so looking forward to it!

KPeregoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Welcome and first things first, there are no questions laughed at here, we all started new and understand. Now to attempt to answer your question, no you do not need to empty your fresh water tank while connected to city. I only put enough water in tank to get me from one spot to another just to have enough to flush and maybe take a shower but most of the time never use it all. You should dump your black and gray tanks before leaving a campground manly to reduce weight. That is why I only carry enough water to get me to next stop to help reduce weight.

Roger & Mary Forbes
Little Lady (Dog)
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Days Camping 2014-96, 2015-130, 2016-85 and counting
Forbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Thanks Roger and Mary, I'm glad to hear there aren't any dumb questions. The advice about dumping gray and black water when you can sounds really good. Sort of like, when you are out camping in the rough, never passing up a flush toilet:-) I'm planning to ask how much water the toilet uses to flush when I pick it up so I can gauge how much to keep in there. I'm also planning to take my IPad to video the instructions.

KPeregoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Congratulations on your Solera! I love mine. We mostly dry camp, so I nearly always travel with water in the tank. I fill partway if I know I'm going to have hookups, just because you never know if you'll need water on the way
wendylys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
Welcome, and congrats on the upcoming retirement!
Mike and Susan
Cavalier King Charles - Jack (3) and Sadie (2)
2015 Columbus 320 RS
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
Another tip.. don't leave your black water tank valve open when hooked up at a park.. it let's the liquids drain, but allows the solids to pile up and stay.. causing some very uninviting smells in the RV.. as well as letting bugs come back into the camper.. nothing like doing your business, doing the courtesy flush and having a creapy crawley come through the flush gate and crawl on the private parts!! Also, if your windows are closed up tightly, be wary of turning on your vent fan in the bathroom when you flush the commode because it will draw the smells in.. and i don't care what you eat... chocolate Ice cream included.. poo stinks.. lol

If you already know all this.. then please disregard and I'll just say have a safe and enjoyable trip ;-)

Bevsway1 is offline   Reply With Quote