Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
White River Powersports Dealership

Brand new to camping

I signed on as powertrader a few days ago, and for some reason couldn't access that again,, so after several emails, and days,, i just created a new account.

I bought a used older Layton lite 19 a couple years ago to use at hunting camp, and used that several times this year with my two teen sons. We spent 9 or 10 nights at camp, and had to use a cot in the middle floor for one of the boys because it wasn't equipped to sleep the three of us without sharing beds. We had an INCREDIABLE time. Sharing talks, stories, and time around the campfire has been one of the best times we have had together,.

I decided to get something that fit us better, and would allow travel / camping for the wife and I as well, (not just hunting camp), so I bought a 2012 Flagstaff Microlite 23LB with the two bunks in the rear, and queen in the front.. I am very happy with the TT although i haven't used it yet. I don't know anything about what we will need, nor what to expect in my new adventure, but am using this site for information, and hopefully to make new friends too.
Mike
powertrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new TT. You will find a wealth of information here, great people willing to help, and lots of tips. Use the search feature for specific topics and don't be afraid to ask questions and share what you have learned.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Welcome and enjoy that camper this season with the family!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum, like has been mentioned, lots of good info on here. We bought our first travel trailer last January 2012. It was used, we traded our PUP in on it. I had some things that I could still use that I had with the PUP. Then I started reading and started me a list of things I needed, slowly I have gotten just about what I need. The main thing I did learn was a lesson about awnings, mine got severely damaged with rain last summer because I had it up, tilted towards the front, but not on the side so the water would run off that direction. Lucky the insurance replaced my awning. The other day I was letting it down and my strap broke, got a new one plus a spare. Well, just a few things I have learned from...hope you enjoy your new one. Camp and make memories....
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #5

I just signed on but I'm having trouble figuring out how to place a posting. How do I do that?
nopets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrader2 View Post
We had an INCREDIABLE time. Sharing talks, stories, and time around the campfire has been one of the best times we have had together.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2012 Flagstaff Microlite 23LB. Keep building those great times
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Hi there! Lots of good & helpful information is here in the different forums but feel free to post questions too.

I would recommend just buying what is needed right now and waiting for the other stuff when there is a need or when you discover your camping style. I can't say how much stuff I returned (unused) for a refund. My top suggestion would be to keep it simple and seek out that stuff with double uses. I have a set of plastic storage containers that I can use for mixing bowls and also use a beach towel as a tablecloth for a small plastic table.

Just have fun!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #8

Thanks for the warm welcomes,,.. I find myself out sitting in my parked TT, waiting for my first trip. In reading the forums, my list is getting big. The first thing I am going to do is take my tow truck along with my TT to camping world, and have the proper brake controller hook up installed.. While there, I want both sky lights covered with fantastic fans, wheel chocks, and covers, and an estimate on making the winterizing upgrades,,(if there is such a thing to make it simple). I also want them to give me an estimate on installing a murphy bed, or similar in place of the fixed front queen.. The storage boxes are another good idea, and I have that already covered. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Michael
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrader View Post
Thanks for the warm welcomes,,.. I find myself out sitting in my parked TT, waiting for my first trip. In reading the forums, my list is getting big. The first thing I am going to do is take my tow truck along with my TT to camping world, and have the proper brake controller hook up installed.. While there, I want both sky lights covered with fantastic fans, wheel chocks, and covers, and an estimate on making the winterizing upgrades,,(if there is such a thing to make it simple). I also want them to give me an estimate on installing a murphy bed, or similar in place of the fixed front queen.. The storage boxes are another good idea, and I have that already covered. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Michael
If you're handy you can easily make your own wheel chocks. Links:
Homemade Wheel Chocks
Wheel Chocks
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopets View Post
I just signed on but I'm having trouble figuring out how to place a posting. How do I do that?
decide on which section (like "Welcome Mat") you want to start a new thread. click on that section and on the top left will be a green button that says "New Thread".
click on that and enter a title and then type in the message box.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #11

Thank You for the information
nopets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #12

That's awesome! My wife, kids and i are brand new to TT camping! We also just bought a 2013 Microlite 23LB and can't wait to go on our first trip. My head is still spinning on all of the new things I need to remember and learn about this new adventure of ours.. glad to see we are not alone and glad we found this forum. Hey, I'm curious on what you find out about what it would cost on installing a Murphy bed to replace the stationary one. please share your findings
the jolly lama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Congrats and welcome Powertrader! You are in a good place for info on just about anything you can think of. I have learned a lot and made some good friend in the oast 3 years. Hope you enjoy your rv and looking forward to chatting with oyu. maybe see you at a rally.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrader View Post
I signed on as powertrader a few days ago, and for some reason couldn't access that again,, so after several emails, and days,, i just created a new account.

I bought a used older Layton lite 19 a couple years ago to use at hunting camp, and used that several times this year with my two teen sons. We spent 9 or 10 nights at camp, and had to use a cot in the middle floor for one of the boys because it wasn't equipped to sleep the three of us without sharing beds. We had an INCREDIABLE time. Sharing talks, stories, and time around the campfire has been one of the best times we have had together,.

I decided to get something that fit us better, and would allow travel / camping for the wife and I as well, (not just hunting camp), so I bought a 2012 Flagstaff Microlite 23LB with the two bunks in the rear, and queen in the front.. I am very happy with the TT although i haven't used it yet. I don't know anything about what we will need, nor what to expect in my new adventure, but am using this site for information, and hopefully to make new friends too.
Mike
Powertrader,Welcome,what brand & kind of P/S do you sell? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Powertrader,Welcome,what brand & kind of P/S do you sell? Youroo!!

Thanks for the welcome.

I am a Yamaha, Suzuki, Argo, Badboy Mowers, Hustler Mowers, and Xpress boat dealership.

Michael
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to ShebaGinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopets View Post

Do you want to reply to the current one you are reading or want to start a new thread? For the current one click on Quote at bottom of the window or reply at the very bottoms of the page.
ShebaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote