Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #1

Brand New to Roo

We just bought a 23SS. We are TOTALLY intimadated by it as we have never owned a camper before. We got it home --parked and haven't even disconnected it from the truck. So, we are rookies -- looking for ANY help possible on how to operate this thing. We had a demo, but it was overwhelming and sadly learned the manual isn't too great. So, we're looking for Rockwood Roo 23SS "101".
vkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure you will enjoy your ROO. We had a 21SS and loved it. It can all be a little overwhelming at first but you'll get it. As far as your hitch question goes, I would tow it back to the dealer and make them show you how to hook/unhook it. They should have showed you that!!!! As a safety factor the hitching and unhitching of your trailer is probably the most important. You can't enjoy your new trailer if you don't get there.

Most of your questions could probably be answered through the search function. If you don't find them there then post the question and I'm sure someone has the answer.
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum vkwood and congrats on your 23SS. Nice amount of counterspace in that hybrid. Don't feel too overwhelmed. We were all beginners, rookies, newbies, or whatever you want to call it at one time. The more you use it the more comfortable you'll feel. We're on our 4th camper, popup -> hybrid -> travel trailer -> and this year a new 5th wheel. Although many of the systems are the same in each (stove, fridge, furnace, etc) there is still a learning curve in each. I might suggest spending a night or two at Camp Driveway to get used to things. There are alot of friendly, helpful, and knowledgable people here willing to help you with any questions you have. The best way to learn is to go use it and have some fun.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Site Team

You will feel better once you can unhook or hitch up. I like the idea suggesting you go back to the dealer and having them show you how to disconnect and hitch up. Use your smartphone to video tape it. It could be a good idea to repeat the steps by doing afterwards before leaving. Even watching someone hitch up can be helpful. There can be some little tricks that can unhitching easier. Sometimes I have to take my truck out of park and remove the brake to disconnect the ball from the coupler.

Ditto on the driveway camping - A great way to tackle setting up camp and getting to know your unit.

Hang in there! I've been where you are at right now. I can say that the thought of putting my brand new TT up for sale did run through my mind the night I brought it home.

There are solutions to any problem you are encountering. Ask here and we will share our experience and knowledge. It does get better, much much better! Remember that you are not alone.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The good news is that you're starting to camp. There really isn't much bad news to that, is there

If I were you, I would just camp in the driveway as was wisely suggested. Keep a pad and pen nearby and write down any questions. Or, if you have a computer with you, post your question here or search the topic. Trust me that we all have had the same questions.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the "Roo Kroo"!!!

lots of 23SS owners here to help, including me.
the 23SS has been one of the most popular hybrid models ever made. lots of us have done mods and things to ours.

is this your first RV or are you former-popup owners, like most of us hybrid owners are?
what are you towing with?

#1 hybrid mod- Popup Gizmos or the generic versions, solar blankets.
Google Popup Gizmos if you've never heard of them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
J R
Screw with a Roo

We recently purchased a 21ss. We broke ours in by visiting the closest reservoir or state park approx 10 miles from our house. Another invaluable tool was YOU TUBE. It has several postings on ROOs and actually runs you through set up better than the dealer. Good luck and have fun!!!
J R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood roo