Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #1

cable hook-up

Hi I am new to this forum. I have a 2012 coachmen cattalina. Satelite will not work through cable outlet on outside of trailer. It does work if hooked directly to satellite receiver. Any suggestions?
pamela j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!! Do your connections inside aux? This is where I hook mine at.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Professional Curmudgeon

I don't have satellite, but, it should simply be a matter of turning the amplifier power switch off.
When the amplifier power switch is on, the antenna function is enabled, allowing only the signal from the roof antenna to get to the television. When it is off (button up green light off), it allows the signal from the cable (or in your case, satellite) to reach the television.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

I tried that did not work thanks anyway
Old 12-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #5

My trailer has a hookup for cable and sat. on the outside. If I use the cable connection the sat. will not work (wrong coax).
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #6

Thanks mine only has one connection in back and one connection in front neither one says anything or works
Old 12-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
My trailer has a hookup for cable and sat. on the outside. If I use the cable connection the sat. will not work (wrong coax).

If you only have one connection in the front and one in the back is sounds like maybe you're just wired for cable. The satellite will not work with cable wire (coax).
Is you're trailer wired for both satellite and cable ?
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
If you only have one connection in the front and one in the back is sounds like maybe you're just wired for cable. The satellite will not work with cable wire (coax).
Is you're trailer wired for both satellite and cable ?
The Catalina's are wired for antenna and cable only.
Having no experience with satellite, I didn't know if it would work on cable coax or not. Apparently the answer is, it will not.
Sorry, Pamela; it looks like you are going to have to mod your camper, or run a separate cable through a window.
Good luck.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #9

Thanks everyone it sounds like I have my answer. I must be wired for cable only
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Professional Curmudgeon

Pamela,
I just finished reading an article on e-how, where they say that satellite TV can use the same cable as CATV.
They say RG-6 is preferable, but that RG-59 can work, just not as well. In either case, you should still get a picture.

My first question is, have you ever used the cable input before? Do you know that it works?
If you've never used it before, then you are going to have to open up the connector box to:
1. ensure the cable coax is connected at the box
2. test for continuity on the cable coax
Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Pamela,
I just finished reading an article on e-how, where they say that satellite TV can use the same cable as CATV.
They say RG-6 is preferable, but that RG-59 can work, just not as well. In either case, you should still get a picture.

My first question is, have you ever used the cable input before? Do you know that it works?
If you've never used it before, then you are going to have to open up the connector box to:
1. ensure the cable coax is connected at the box
2. test for continuity on the cable coax

Partially true. But, if there are any cable splitters and/or signal amplifiers in the cable line (RG-6 or RG-59) satellite signal will not go through.

You will need to run dedicated cable directly from your dish to the receiver. This can be difficult and time consuming depending on the location of your entertainment area.

In my first TT, I ran the sat. cable through the bottom corner of the slide closest to the entertainment unit then finished opening the slide.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #12

I Have never used the cable input before. I do not see any cable connector box to see if it is connected. I was planning on drilling a hole under TT and hooking it up that way as I don't feel I have any more options.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Professional Curmudgeon

I don't know which model Catalina you have, but on mine, the CATV/OTA amplifier switch is located just above the television. Yours should be near the TV as well.
However, rracer says that any splitter in the circuit will prevent it from working with satellite, and nobody else has posted to counter that. Usually, when somebody is in error, somebody will post the correct information. Anyway, if you have a TV hookup in the living room and a TV hookup in the bedroom, you'll have a splitter in the circuit. If you only have the living room hookup, it might still work.
At this point, I'd say you're probably better off simply running your coax directly to the TV as you are planning on doing. Messing with the switch box is only going to delay you getting to watch TV.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #14

I believe splitters are ok for sat but the splitters cannot be on the incoming cable side. In otherwords your catv cable inside your unit needs to go directly to the sat receiver and not to a splitter. The output of the sat receiver then can connect to a splitter for all your tv's. You probably need to purchase a lenght of cable to accomplish this. If you have a selector box for different inputs to your tv's disconnect the catv cable from it and run directly to sat receiver (cable in) then install a new cable from the sat receiver (out) to the selector box where the catv cable was connected. You will not have HD but you said that was ok with you.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

And then... it depends on what type of SAT system. We have a DirecTV DVR and dish that use SWiM. The requires that we have a power inserter (to drive the LNB) and a DC passthrough splitter (frequency range is important here) to get the signal to the DVR (in the living room) and the client (in the bedroom).

Add to that that many RV's may not be wired or labeled correctly. (see this post)

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchF View Post
And then... it depends on what type of SAT system. We have a DirecTV DVR and dish that use SWiM. The requires that we have a power inserter (to drive the LNB) and a DC passthrough splitter (frequency range is important here) to get the signal to the DVR (in the living room) and the client (in the bedroom).

Add to that that many RV's may not be wired or labeled correctly. (see this post)

That's it!! I couldn't think of the type of splitter that works with satellite in my previous post......thanks DutchF.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #17
Professional Curmudgeon

The Catalina's have a very basic system. It's a 12 volt out let with a pushbutton for power to the antenna amp. There are 3 coax's on the backside. One for OTA, one for CATV, and one to the bedroom TV.
There is only one coax connection on the front of the plate. When 12vdc is on, the antenna is connected. When it is off, the cable is connected.