Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #1

Central PA

Have always wanted a toy hauler, just never found the one...until I was introduced to the Puma Unleashed 351-THSS.
While a car hauler with living quarters would better suit my needs/wants, my truck won't like it at all.
I hope to glean enough useful info here to put me over the edge.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #2

Welcome aboard. Just googled your model. Looks like a beast. Congrats from southeastern pa.

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #3

Btw we will be camping around your area for Labor Day, ferryboat campsites along the Susquehanna.

2012 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 06-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

Welcome from NE FLA.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

Don't have it yet. I've been looking so long, my wife doesn't remember me ever having interest in one.

My first "want" back in '02-ish was a CampMaster fifth wheel. Varying garage sizes and being built on a car hauler chassis were the appeal. The living quarters were a bit too spartan for my wife, however. As a friend once put it, Adrienne(my wife) doesn't do camping without hot and cold running servants. Lately, it seemed that the Jayco Seismic 3914 would be the only thing truly worthy of our tastes but, man, that thing is a monster. No way my truck could handle it, and my truck ain't no slouch.

I'm former military and pretty much became comfortable living out of a seabag. As an older <ahem> gentleman, I found the value of comfort. I'm certain my wife had everything to do with that.

We ended up with an '08 SunsetCreek 307RL travel trailer that recently suffered a near terminal roof leak...the jury is still out on its repairability. It never fulfilled my needs but it was fine for our campground on the east bank of the Susquehanna, across from Selinsgrove. There aren't any PC rules, the lots are relatively big, the rent reflects the lack of amenities and it's hard to argue with a riverfront lot. Been there since '08.

As far as I'm concerned, the campground experience would be enhanced with the toy hauler. I could park the hauler's ramp, using it as a patio, right over the bank for some real ambience.

My hobby, if you can call it that, is riding motorcycles at the track. Hence, a toy hauler. When I'm ready to hit the track, I'm just a 40 minute haul from home, where the toys for serious fun reside. Load up, hit the road, never stay in a hotel again. I used to bag everything in a small cargo trailer while I galavanted across the States east of the Mississippi from track to track...and use hotels. Ugh.

Thankfully, I spent some time in the sales room while having my camper accepted for repair. That's when a salesman showed me the Puma. It's light enough, the garage is big enough and there's enough luxury to make my wife happy, I hope. It seems nicer than the 307RL and it doesn't hurt that the prices are unbelievably reasonable.

It's my plan, anyway. Gotta get Adrienne's support.

Thanks for the Welcomes!

Fred
Old 06-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #6

Good luck

It took some time to convince my wife and now she loves it.

2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 06-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #7

Fred,

Welcome. I just recently purchased at 351THSS also. I'd go on a guess that you may be looking at the one up at Tom Schaeffer's in Hamburg. We had them order ours and they ordered a twin to it for stock. I'll offer one piece of advise, that I wish they offered to me. I'm almost 100% sure that the unit they have in stock only has a 30A service and is not prewired for a second A/C. Just like mine. I have the 15K unit but it still takes forever to get cold, and on a hot day I severely doubt it will keep up. I just dropped it off Saturday for some warranty issues, and for a price to convert it to 50A. I know it would have been a LOT cheaper to have it done at the factory. The question now is if it's cheaper to retrofit my unit or trade it for a 50A one. One a/c isn't enough for that much trailer, and I really wish the salesman would have communicated that to me when we ordered.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:19 AM   #8

Welcome from the southern shore of Lake Ontario! Sounds like you know what you want and you'll be all set once you convince the DW that is was her idea.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
KateE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
Fred,

Welcome. ...you may be looking at the one up at Tom Schaeffer's...
That's the one I saw. I need a big generator and 50amp service. The salesman, Steve, said I'd be better off ordering one with it installed from the factory when I mentioned a generator. Having since thought (and learned) more about it, I'm definitely special ordering.

Sorry to hear about your misgivings. If you haven't taken possession of your unit yet, I would be perplexed if they didn't allow you to transfer your money to another unit. They told me they can't keep toy haulers in stock so it's not like yours is gonna sit there.
At any rate, blame the salesman.

Thanks, KateE.
BTW, what's DW stand for? I've seen it used here regularly and gathered it was a reference to the spouse but...knowing what it means may help me get her mind made up.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
Always Learning

DW = Dear Wife. There's a list of acronyms floating around somewhere.

Whereabouts in Central PA? I grew up in York.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #11

Thanks for the def. I'll try it in an affectionate manner...see how far I get.

Bloomsburg, for the last 8(?) years. I'm a transplant from Lansdale(6-7 years?). Having been a military brat, worked for the military, been in the military and worked for the military again, I have not roots. I'm determined to grow some here while shedding my affinity for combat boots.

KateE, you sure made your location sound exotic. At first, I thought you were in Canada. Then, hey, wait a minute...southern shore of Lake Ontario. I should come up with something catchy for my locale but there's little exotic about my residence in central PA, unless one counts Centralia burning underground for half a century.