Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #1

Talking choosing is not easy

Hello and thanks for the forum. New couple to this and not yet owners of the TT or the TV but will get a big enough TV to not worry about those questions. Just got back from looking at EVO TT after already looking at some Jayco and Keystone first. Of course each has its own positive and negative. Was just looking to hear some feedback and experiences from the ones that know it best. This being a Forest River forum I suppose I will get mostly feedback on that product line.
Will be a retired couple looking to use TT for 1 week trips up to 1 month trips a few times a year at least. So far looked at 2360 2460 and 2600 as far a size goes. probably going to go smaller rather than larger. Thanks again, can not wait to get started.
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #2

Hello and welcome.
I can't tell you what is right for you but can give advice. Take your time choosing, spend time sitting in a camper going through drawers and cupboards to see if there is enough space. You will need a fair amount of storage space to pack for a month long trip. FR does make many nice models of TT, and I also looked at many other makes and models before buying.
Make a list of things important and spend time online getting a list of potential trailers and then find dealers that have them in stock to look at.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

Our experience was to look at a dealer's stock online, then discussed what exactly we needed / didn't need in a floorplan. Think about everything, from where the dog bed will fit, to if you really want to make up your bed every night. When we had that worked out, we compared the desired/acceptable floorplan across all manufacturers the dealer had. We printed out the details of each, took a Saturday, and walked each and every one, sat for long times on the furniture, and compared the construction of each one, just as Mowgli recommends. That process took a lot of inferior models out of the way. For the money you are about to spend, you won't want to second guess your choice.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

We went to every RV show for 2 years and looked at every model we could find in the range we were looking out. We didn't want a hybrid because we hated dealing with the canvas from a pop up. DW said it was like a wedding dress, we walked into the right one and we knew it.

One thing I can recommend is make a list of must haves and why followed by a list of nice to haves and why.
Additionally, make sure you know what your tow capabilities are. By that, don't ever trust the saleman when he says you can tow that. Know exactly what your truck is rated for and what you are comfortable towing.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

I am trading in a keystone product on a new Forest River Cedar Creek 34RL. This is my third 5th wheel since we got back in to RV'ing several years ago. As far as I am concerned I would never buy any Keystone product again. The main reason is customer service you never hear from them if you e-mail or call their product number.

We had 5 year old 318SAB Cougar 2010 MY; that the decals started to fade and peel off of the 5er after 3 years. I contact Keystone for details on where to purchase new decals not asking for any monetary support but where to buy. No answer for the first three e-mails sent to them needed to send one to the managing director before I received an answer.

Have you visited the Keystone Forum and see what other users have to say about the Keystone model you are comparing against the Forest River model?

Old 04-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

HI!,

I have an EVO, a 2015 T2850, bigger than you are looking but they are all very similar in the EVO line.

The first thing is look at the floor plan and determines who makes similar models. The next is to determine which amenities are most important and then which brand offers the additions you want.

When looking at the floor plan we found 3 makers (keystone, heartland and FR), I am not a fan of keystone (for no good reason, I just don't prefer them) I LOVE heartland RV. Let me say it again I LOVE HEARTLAND! I had never heard of Forest River. SO I went to look at the heartland first, then the FR. As much as I love Heartland, I chose the FR. After owning my Unit I LOVE FR.

Heartland and FR had an almost identical unit, the thing that separated them was holding tank sizes and that was my determining factor in choosing the FR. FR had much bigger tank sizes and that would allow me to carry more fresh water as well as have bigger gray and black tanks to camp longer without dumping. You just have to research, research research! I also spent the better part of 5 hours just relaxing in the unit at the dealers lot.

The EVO line (or similar units from other manufacturers) is not considered an "high end" line, it is a great entry/medium level to get out and have fun in. EVOs now come in the tried and true stick and tin construction as well as fiberglass, FR in my opinion, or at least in my neck of the woods is cheaper than the others with more options. I have owned mine for a few months and no problems yet.

If you have any specific question as it pertains to the EVO please ask and I'll answer the best I can.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #7

Keystone forums.

Why are the Keystone forums are about 1/4 the size of the Forest river forums, why is that?
martin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #8

Question why

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin73 View Post
Why are the Keystone forums are about 1/4 the size of the Forest river forums, why is that?

I am sure there is a point to be made by your Quote. What is that point please
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
I am sure there is a point to be made by your Quote. What is that point please
My opinion From owning a Forest river product and a Keystone product is apparantly Keystone has fewer problems.
martin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #10

I wouldn't say that a forum size denotes problems, rather that the larger Forest River forum suggests more interactions among owners. Everything from where to camp, what to drink, and "what did you do to your camper today" make this forum a wealth of friendship and knowledge. If one DOES have an issue, there's lots of feedback. Glad there's so many members.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
Hello and thanks for the forum. New couple to this and not yet owners of the TT or the TV but will get a big enough TV to not worry about those questions. Just got back from looking at EVO TT after already looking at some Jayco and Keystone first. Of course each has its own positive and negative. Was just looking to hear some feedback and experiences from the ones that know it best. This being a Forest River forum I suppose I will get mostly feedback on that product line.
Will be a retired couple looking to use TT for 1 week trips up to 1 month trips a few times a year at least. So far looked at 2360 2460 and 2600 as far a size goes. probably going to go smaller rather than larger. Thanks again, can not wait to get started.
Welcome, I grew up in Vegas, left in '83. Rest of the family is basically still there. I will try and be as "generic" as possible with my suggestions.
#1, Let her decide on the interior, size, layout etc. Best decision I ever made! We settled on a rear kitchen layout and have been happy with that. Seems that floor plan had more storage and countertop space and that was important to the DW.
#2 Also, a living room slide. These are a lot more common and trouble free than they used to be and the extra space is way worth it.
#3 Ours has a shower/tub combo, but our next one will likely have just a shower. That's what we've found we use instead of the tub.
#4 Look for drawers under the dinette seats. Much easier to use than lifting the seat to put away or retreive stored items. We use ours for the pots and pans.
#5 In general the more cabinets cupboards closets you can fit the better.
#6 Big doors on the outside storage. Bigger the better for ease of loading and unloading
#7 Must have a "walk around" bed. That is, you can get to 3 sides of the bed. This makes it a lot easier to make the bed, less inconvenience when you need to get up in the middle of the night and a happier missus when I get up before dawn to go out shooting!
#8 Go Diesel with your tow vehicle. You'll be pulling 3 to 5 tons of RV and nothing pulls like a diesel!
#9 Don't forget to pop for the WDH and anti sway. Very important for safety and comfort.
#10 MOST IMPORTANT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9988.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	75638  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote